Johan Lange

hippo

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah thats what i think too. Wouldnt suprise me if it was commoli to be honest. Whats frank arsensen up to these days? I remember he was pretty decent 

I think he at Feyenood. Michael Emenalo seems like the right fit if achievable.

• Like 1

Suggestions now that Suso decided against Philips from leeds last year.

Also that we are now going to pursue more UK based players - and Smith will have a greater say in who the players are.

31 minutes ago, hippo said:

Also that we are now going to pursue more UK based players - and Smith will have a greater say in who the players are.

where are the suggestions from?

49 minutes ago, hippo said:

Phillips came out recently and said it was his decision not to join us so all must have been agreed.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Comolli is a fraud, zero success anywhere

Was comical what happened at Spurs. 2008 they sold Defoe, Robbie Keane and Berbatov within six months and replaced them with Pavlychenko, Frazer Campbell and Giovanni Dos Santos. And David Bentley. 2 points from 8 games later.....

At Liverpool I assume he was there when they decided to replace Suarez with Rickie Lambert, Balotelli and Lazar Markovic that summer.

It's interesting with DOFs though. A few years back Graham Carr at Newcastle was getting hyped up because he signed likes of Cabaye from France. Then a year later they got in a poorer selection of French players, he left and hasn't been heard of much since. Same with whoever at Leicester got in Kante, then got poached by Everton and then signed a whole load of s*** for them in summer 2017. Often seems a flavour of the month position to me.

I'd personally look at the scout at Celtic who found them Van Dijk, Wanyama, Dembele, Edouard and Nitcham in last decade. Think he left a few years ago.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was comical what happened at Spurs. 2008 they sold Defoe, Robbie Keane and Berbatov within six months and replaced them with Pavlychenko, Frazer Campbell and Giovanni Dos Santos. And David Bentley. 2 points from 8 games later.....

At Liverpool I assume he was there when they decided to replace Suarez with Rickie Lambert, Balotelli and Lazar Markovic that summer.

It's interesting with DOFs though. A few years back Graham Carr at Newcastle was getting hyped up because he signed likes of Cabaye from France. Then a year later they got in a poorer selection of French players, he left and hasn't been heard of much since. Same with whoever at Leicester got in Kante, then got poached by Everton and then signed a whole load of s*** for them in summer 2017. Often seems a flavour of the month position to me.

I'd personally look at the scout at Celtic who found them Van Dijk, Wanyama, Dembele, Edouard and Nitcham in last decade. Think he left a few years ago.

What about that Paddy Reilly guy???  Most of his signings turned out alright... AFTER they left Villa!

Edited by KMitch
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

. Michael Emenalo seems like the right fit if achievable.

As I recall from my friend who works there , There was a bit of a power struggle at Chelsea , created by Emenalo  , he won it and it basically lead to Wilkins being sacked , but he was a bit toxic

doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't be good but it would be something Terry would be aware of and could advise on , if he was consulted

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, KMitch said:

What about that Paddy Reilly guy???  Most of his signings turned out alright... AFTER they left Villa!

I don't actually think they did. How many of them played in the PL afterwards

Veretout - seems to have got some big moves - but then seems permanently out on loan.

Not sure on amavi - but don't think he ever made the national team.

In any case they were purchased for the next season - so even if they did come good years later - it bad recruitment for what we needed at the time.

3 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

I would imagine that a lot of people aren't fully convinced by Smith. He's done well so far, but the owners aspire to far greater achievements, and he may not be able to take us much further - but he definitely deserves that chance, and I'm sure the owners will give him that.

I don't think we can hold off on the SD role for another 6 or 12 months, and I don't think we should. If we want the SD model in the club, it happens, irrespective of the manager. That's the point of it. 

I have reservations about Dean, but I am hoping he can develop in to the manager we all crave.....with or without a SD.

Do we really need one if Dean and Christian collude on players?...just a question.

He needs to learn from this season and develop a team that is more rounded and capable of having a decent chance of winning away from home......judging us since lockdown has given me hope that, that is not a pipe-dream and he can be that man.

He can make a name for himself at Villa, if he approaches things in the right way, and we get a better standard of player to work with, its possible....He should kick on.

This Last season has been one hell of a battle and it should in theory harden us for the road ahead.....the opportunity it presents is far reaching and in total contrast to a life, if we had of gone down.....we have earned ourselves a life line, i hope we don't squander it.

We all had our opinions on last season and they varied considerably, we will never know who was right,not that it matters, but now is the time we must stand up and be counted.....there will be no mitigating circumstances to muddy the waters.....we must improve markedly, now is our time to consolidate ourselves as a premier league side/club.

over to you Dean.

Ps I think Sporting Directors add to the inevitable power struggles within Large football clubs like ours.....so it can negate their positive contributions.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Hallelujah......He has to stand or fall on his own judgment......its his job to blend them, he should have more say in recruitment, in order to be responsible for team results.

• Like 4

I think people are thinking of the Sporting Director too much in terms of recruitment, there will be a lot more to the job than just recruitment. We actually have an 'Head of Recruitment' and will also have scouts who's job it will be to spot players. A Sporting Director will be in charge of things like deciding how the club wants to play and charging the scouts with finding players to suit that system and also finding coaches  that can implement that style and making sure that the youth teams also play in the same way. If you look into what someone like Ralf Rangnick does with Red Bull there's a lot more to it than just spotting players, same with Brentford and what they're doing.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, useless said:

I think people are thinking of the Sporting Director too much in terms of recruitment, there will be a lot more to the job than just recruitment. We actually have an 'Head of Recruitment' and will also have scouts who's job it will be to spot players. A Sporting Director will be in charge of things like deciding how the club wants to play and charging the scouts with finding players to suit that system and also finding coaches  that can implement that style and making sure that the youth teams also play in the same way. If you look into what someone like Ralf Rangnick does with Red Bull there's a lot more to it than just spotting players, same with Brentford and what they're doing.

There are certainly different styles to being a sporting director.

heavily recruitment based/ Philosophy based ect

1 hour ago, TRO said:

there will be no mitigating circumstances to muddy the waters....

There is always a possibility of mitigating circumstance arising. If we sign a new wonderful £50m striker and he breaks his leg two games in, then that clearly isn’t something that the manager can do anything about. Ok he’d have to try to find a way around it but it would be a huge slice of bad luck. 

I get your general point though, we can’t make excuses for him forever. Next season Dean and the first team need to show genuine progress throughout the season and not just at the end. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GrassyNoel said:

Not signing a proven, top class forward last summer and placing all chips on Wesley was a howler. It wasn't quite like playing with ten men at all times but felt that way sometimes. A lot of us felt it at the time, then the football fan rationalisation starts to kick in where you convince yourself it'll be OK. We should never, ever have been in that position. 

Yep not managing to get that second striker they were trying to do before the summer window was bad, I think the real issue that probably was the beginning of the end for Suso though wasn't that. I think it was that on 1st of Jan that second striker wasn't signed immediately, it took way too long to get Samatta in and we had to play winnable games with no goal scorer. Points were undoubtedly thrown away there. Plus the Drinkwater signing, you'd think Smith had said in their meetings that he needed replacements for Heaton, McGinn and Wes in Jan. They got Reina in and it worked, Samatta too late and though he looked well off the pace after the restart he did work hard in his first appearances, he would have given us something in those games at the start of Jan and then well Drinkwater was shit. When we really need to pull something out of the hat fast we didn't. I think that's probably ended up being Suso's responsibility as he'd be the one coming up with players to meet Smith's needs for Purslow to go and sign. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, useless said:

I thought the manager/head coach would dictate the style of play.

Never really understood how the youth team can play the same way. Blokes in there mid 20s (first team) are going to be more physical than 15/16 year olds for example.

A never fully understood what a sporting director does - I would guess it can be very different at different clubs. My best guess he has a bigger say in who we buy and deals with the agents - gets the deal done etc.

Personally I think Smith will do a bit more of the sourcing and Purslow a bit more of the negioations. 

49 minutes ago, useless said:

Yeah it's not only player recruitment, it's the sporting direction of the club at all levels. So having a plan/philosophy and making sure that what the recruitment team comes up with fits the club's intended style and direction. That said in the meetings between Smith, Suso and Purslow, Smith would be assessing the squad and where it can be strengthened, Suso would be suggesting players that might work and once they were all agreed then Purslow would go and try and get them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I'd take the Brentford DOFs though

Â