Johan Lange

hippo

20 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I like your style. I can see how we may be able to acquire the model (two up front finally) and Eddie to provide a bit of flair in the midfield. However, I think signing the country is going to be hard task and what will it really provide us on the pitch? I mean I know it’s unsettled and might perform better if it wasn’t currently where it is but I just don’t see how it’ll improve the club. 

Michael and Grealish could be the greatest double act ever 😉

26 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I like your style. I can see how we may be able to acquire the model (two up front finally) and Eddie to provide a bit of flair in the midfield. However, I think signing the country is going to be hard task and what will it really provide us on the pitch? I mean I know it’s unsettled and might perform better if it wasn’t currently where it is but I just don’t see how it’ll improve the club. 

But teams would be petrafied of us. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Danny_Villaman84 said:

what if; Suso insist we can get Players like nzonzi and most players bid rejects, lack planned and research scout, we too late move for other target, slow to buy or loan.

In end Purlsow and smith force hand to loan drinkwater in that might explain why. Suso left job try make he is didn’t wrongdoing and point to them is cause problem via media or they fake news ? In this case who knows?

as we, villa were to address problem too slow sort the problem in January when the problem would solves early and why we have to wait about 5 to 7 or more games to sort striker and goalkeeper problem and CM. That why we were lack running’s results in January to mid of February, Samatta was did well slow process until lockdown hit him hard and start become flopping yet as latest we has luiz more better after restarting.

pre January; we start to look good team despite ref mess result and var let us down it Is well I think until mcginn out we managed ok just bare struggling until Heaton and Wesley left us mores problem on 1st January. 3 first team out (if count short term injury 4- Engels) Davis and steers is out too we force play el Ghazi for 5 or more games as forward as Davis was out injury too. DOF left it too late. Which should’ve play Sarkic play when nyland bad form in league beside Leicester cup match. Until Reina take over him and Sarkic feel like wasting time come down Scotland as he was number 1 In north to no playing chance as 3rd choice when we had 3 seniors player (4th if u count as Kalinic) to become 4 (5) senior goalkeeper no wonder why he, sarkic two fingers to us move to wolves. It is poor man management as youth should have a chance rather loan. It is Smith fault ? Was it? or he was suppose likely play until suso handle him Reina?as smith and purlsow like see youth chance, I don’t idea what is go on in background in villa.

that why I think Suso job really poor handle as that dof job to sort recruiters to fix it is like “patch like boat sink if we don’t patch quick enough we luck we bare patch boat to reach port to repair to stay up or sink to relegation to save boat” ... might I’ve harshly comment about Suso or I am wrong?

samatta and drinkwater is panic cos lack action from Suso delay action ? Only right called is loan riena despite I think sarkic should have chance Might it is reason make him fall man and he give up and left early or pulsow let him go to get better recruit dof or sporting director to avoid same mistake ?

anyway about Suso it is dust in past and we need looking forward and learn the mistake to avoid same mistake really we hope we find better DOF or Sporting director.

I think that's the crux of it, Danny - we should have done better in January and we knew what we needed well before they opened the transfer window, so it points to Suso either messing up or failing to prepare. 

I agree with others that we're in a better position to attract someone with a better reputation now. 

Also, it shows that Purslow isn't going to tolerate any nonsense and a little ruthlessness is something we needed on and off the pitch. 

• Thanks 1

I don't think we need to rush for a replacement, although I believe this wasn't a knee jerk reaction, so plans were already in place.

Also, if the Sporting Director role has any purpose, all the background work is done - all the priority areas identified, scouting done, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices, etc, and a budget attached to each. Now it's down to the negotiations with clubs, agents and players, which I suspect Purslow did a lot of, and has probably already been in hand for a few weeks at a tentative level.
Frankly, if this isn't all ready to go - we're ****.

• Like 1

Heres a thought - I wonder if the board aren't convinced by Smith and survival surprised them.

Might we hold off on a new SD - the SD role may vary slightly under a new manager

13 hours ago, thunderball said:

There is an article on Twitter by a Spanish journo outlining tension between Suso and Purslow arising out of the Owners demands and seemingly the Left Hand and RIght hand doing different things. One example, seemingly Drinkwater was signed by Purslow/Smith while Suso was pursuing Nzonzi at the owners request. Allegedly Suso felt undermined,  was unsettled and going to leave this summer.

As I heard it at the time  , Smith was very much Purslows appointment , the owners wanted someone else

if this story is true , it does seem that although the owners have an opinion , they are very much prepared to go with Purslows judgement .. that's a good thing ..I think ( ask me again when we sign Drinkwater on a 4 year deal :)

1 hour ago, GrassyNoel said:

Not signing a proven, top class forward last summer and placing all chips on Wesley was a howler. It wasn't quite like playing with ten men at all times but felt that way sometimes. A lot of us felt it at the time, then the football fan rationalisation starts to kick in where you convince yourself it'll be OK. We should never, ever have been in that position. 

We couldn't afford a proven, top class forward last summer. We had far too many players to buy to be able to spend the bones of 50mil on a striker. 

35 minutes ago, hippo said:

Heres a thought - I wonder if the board aren't convinced by Smith and survival surprised them.

Didn't the board recently give Dean a contract extension? Even though we were struggling at the time.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That dont make sense why would owners want a different manager to purslow? Then somehow purslow gets his way? Hw is working for them not the ither way round!

Because if the rumours are true that it was in fact Henry they wanted, they probably realised it was ridiculous and chose the sensible option suggested by the guy with actual Football experience.

(Having said that I was suckered into the Henry dream as well)

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That dont make sense why would owners want a different manager to purslow? Then somehow purslow gets his way? Hw is working for them not the ither way round!

It's a business decision, they've listened to somebody with more experience of that particular business, happens all the time. You wouldn't employ a lawyer and then defend yourself would you? 

• Like 4

People really are loving this hobby of inventing scenarios. 

The truth is almost always the simplest and most obvious pitch. 

Occam's razor should be applied in force on here. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

It's a business decision, they've listened to somebody with more experience of that particular business, happens all the time. You wouldn't employ a lawyer and then defend yourself would you? 

No i meant i in terms of purslow ignoring the owners recomendations and just appointing who they wanted.

I think they all probably had their own ideas but they came together and made a collective decision as opposed to one party making it.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Might we hold off on a new SD - the SD role may vary slightly under a new manager

I would imagine that a lot of people aren't fully convinced by Smith. He's done well so far, but the owners aspire to far greater achievements, and he may not be able to take us much further - but he definitely deserves that chance, and I'm sure the owners will give him that.

I don't think we can hold off on the SD role for another 6 or 12 months, and I don't think we should. If we want the SD model in the club, it happens, irrespective of the manager. That's the point of it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

No i meant i in terms of purslow ignoring the owners recomendations and just appointing who they wanted.

I think they all probably had their own ideas but they came together and made a collective decision as opposed to one party making it.

That's not how I read it, I read it as the owners wanted Henry, Purslow wanted Smith, they sat down and had a chat and decided to go with Purslows option. The owners are the guys in charge make no mistake, if Purslow did something like that he'd be gone. I think it is good that the owners will listen to those around them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

I would imagine that a lot of people aren't fully convinced by Smith. He's done well so far, but the owners aspire to far greater achievements, and he may not be able to take us much further - but he definitely deserves that chance, and I'm sure the owners will give him that.

I don't think we can hold off on the SD role for another 6 or 12 months, and I don't think we should. If we want the SD model in the club, it happens, irrespective of the manager. That's the point of it. 

Whereas others, like myself, think it's mad to second guess the guy that both got us promoted and kept us up. 

9 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

True - but the SD role may be different depending on the manager. Smith right from the outset he was more than happy to just coach the players pick the team etc.

Were the next manager John Terry than the SD might have a bigger role than say if the next manager was Sean Dyche.

I'm probably on my own on this - but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't actually replace the SD at all.

Â