Johan Lange

hippo

16 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

All over the pitch we lacked experience and it showed throughout the season. We now have to hope that the new sporting director, whoever that will be, can identify the gaps in our side and work on filling them in the next 6 weeks.

And his brief was to fill 12 squad places with U25 y.o. players for £130m. We spent £22m on a striker and £25m on a defender. At peak premier league transfer prices and teams so stuffer with cash they have no reason to sell, where are these [PL] experienced, decent quality signings coming from? Maybe the brief was niave? Maybe the mission was doomed.

There is an article on Twitter by a Spanish journo outlining tension between Suso and Purslow arising out of the Owners demands and seemingly the Left Hand and RIght hand doing different things. One example, seemingly Drinkwater was signed by Purslow/Smith while Suso was pursuing Nzonzi at the owners request. Allegedly Suso felt undermined,  was unsettled and going to leave this summer.

33 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

One signing in Drinkwater doesn't reflect the decision to part way's with Suso.

Alex Ferguson dropped some clangers in his signings over his career, he also pulled out some masterstrokes which is one reason why he is held in such high regard.

For the large part our recruitment in the Summer caused us to underperform in certain area's. If we had recruited correctly we wouldn't have been in a position where we need to be panic buying/loaning Samatta and Drinkwater in January.

Wesley's injury was a blow, but we didn't recruit a backup striker and it resulted in us playing without a striker in January. It was obvious to everyone that Kodjia wasn't up to it during the Summer.

McGinn's injury again was a blow, but the midfield recruits during the Summer left us short of options. We opted for Luiz and Nakamba, both players with no PL experience and both needing time to adapt. Luiz has now shown that he is more than capable at this level but he's taken a season to progress.

All over the pitch we lacked experience and it showed throughout the season. We now have to hope that the new sporting director, whoever that will be, can identify the gaps in our side and work on filling them in the next 6 weeks.

Or the club can get on with signing players and the next sporting director takes up post in due course.

49 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I thought Suso did a decent job. But no argument about Purslow wanting to try something new for this season. Seems reasonable to me.

We still don't who were his signings.

Will they ever release the facts?

Whatever the reason for his departure, we are now in a much stronger position to attract a higher calibre replacement. 

All in all, we didn't do a Fulham, we have a lot of young talent with a season of Premier League experience now behind them and we don't have to build a completely new squad. 

I suspect we're aiming high with this appointment and whoever comes in has a really exciting task on their hands. It's a different challenge to what Suso faced. They'll have to thrash out deals for higher calibre players and perhaps tougher negotiaters than say the club that Trez came from. 

I thank Suso for his part in rebuilding the side but there's no need to be too sentimental. What matters more is progress for Aston Villa and I like this move from Villa. It's not on the Watford asshole scale of replacement. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

And his brief was to fill 12 squad places with U25 y.o. players for £130m. We spent £22m on a striker and £25m on a defender. At peak premier league transfer prices and teams so stuffer with cash they have no reason to sell, where are these [PL] experienced, decent quality signings coming from? Maybe the brief was niave? Maybe the mission was doomed.

There is an article on Twitter by a Spanish journo outlining tension between Suso and Purslow arising out of the Owners demands and seemingly the Left Hand and RIght hand doing different things. One example, seemingly Drinkwater was signed by Purslow/Smith while Suso was pursuing Nzonzi at the owners request. Allegedly Suso felt undermined,  was unsettled and going to leave this summer.

will we ever know?

However, I think Nzonzi would have been a good signing.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

will we ever know?

However, I think Nzonzi would have been a good signing.

Nope, and yes he would.

The timing of Suso leaving is poor however, smacks of a bitter fall out. I would worry about Purslow and Dean getting deals lined up, it’s a lot of work in a short window. Even a new SD coming in will need to settle despite likely having a network at work.

• Like 1

You would hope that we've done our homework already and started making approaches to players on our shortlist as soon as our future was secure, or started making tentative approaches before the season was over. I'm sure Suso knew his time was up irrespective of the outcome of the season.

Given that we have three weeks before pre-season starts, we need to try and act quickly if we want to get give new signings enough time to get used to their new surroundings.

• Like 2

what if; Suso insist we can get Players like nzonzi and most players bid rejects, lack planned and research scout, we too late move for other target, slow to buy or loan.

In end Purlsow and smith force hand to loan drinkwater in that might explain why. Suso left job try make he is didn’t wrongdoing and point to them is cause problem via media or they fake news ? In this case who knows?

as we, villa were to address problem too slow sort the problem in January when the problem would solves early and why we have to wait about 5 to 7 or more games to sort striker and goalkeeper problem and CM. That why we were lack running’s results in January to mid of February, Samatta was did well slow process until lockdown hit him hard and start become flopping yet as latest we has luiz more better after restarting.

pre January; we start to look good team despite ref mess result and var let us down it Is well I think until mcginn out we managed ok just bare struggling until Heaton and Wesley left us mores problem on 1st January. 3 first team out (if count short term injury 4- Engels) Davis and steers is out too we force play el Ghazi for 5 or more games as forward as Davis was out injury too. DOF left it too late. Which should’ve play Sarkic play when nyland bad form in league beside Leicester cup match. Until Reina take over him and Sarkic feel like wasting time come down Scotland as he was number 1 In north to no playing chance as 3rd choice when we had 3 seniors player (4th if u count as Kalinic) to become 4 (5) senior goalkeeper no wonder why he, sarkic two fingers to us move to wolves. It is poor man management as youth should have a chance rather loan. It is Smith fault ? Was it? or he was suppose likely play until suso handle him Reina?as smith and purlsow like see youth chance, I don’t idea what is go on in background in villa.

that why I think Suso job really poor handle as that dof job to sort recruiters to fix it is like “patch like boat sink if we don’t patch quick enough we luck we bare patch boat to reach port to repair to stay up or sink to relegation to save boat” ... might I’ve harshly comment about Suso or I am wrong?

samatta and drinkwater is panic cos lack action from Suso delay action ? Only right called is loan riena despite I think sarkic should have chance Might it is reason make him fall man and he give up and left early or pulsow let him go to get better recruit dof or sporting director to avoid same mistake ?

anyway about Suso it is dust in past and we need looking forward and learn the mistake to avoid same mistake really we hope we find better DOF or Sporting director.

Edited by Danny_Villaman84
  • Like 2

Think someone mention Enemalo as an option because Purslow had worked with him at Chelsea. Hopefully not Comolli who Purslow also worked with at Liverpool.....

Dan Ashworth would be good also but will be very tough to get him out of the FA before the euros and that could drag on during the summer, we simply have to get the new DOF in quick.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think someone mention Enemalo as an option because Purslow had worked with him at Chelsea. Hopefully not Comolli who Purslow also worked with at Liverpool.....

Dan Ashworth would be good also but will be very tough to get him out of the FA before the euros and that could drag on during the summer, we simply have to get the new DOF in quick.

hes at Brighton now been there for about a year.

We may have someone who is temporarily filling in Suso's role.

Nicola Ibbettson is her name right??, shes been apart of some well known deals in football going over the line so she has experience in that area and shes very professional, wonder if they have her temporarily in that role?? Surely they wouldnt have him vacate his job without somebody at the club taking over straight away, you usually have someone with the vast knowledge of football clubs and there inner workings floating around and move into a vacated job for time being until they can find a suitable replacement. 

16 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I doubt very much that the Suso decision was a last minute thing so its highly likely that we're already at an advanced stage of getting in a replacement. 

Yeah thats what i think too. Wouldnt suprise me if it was commoli to be honest. Whats frank arsensen up to these days? I remember he was pretty decent 

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah thats what i think too. Wouldnt suprise me if it was commoli to be honest. Whats frank arsensen up to these days? I remember he was pretty decent 

Comolli is a fraud, zero success anywhere

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Incidentally, what's Paddy Riley up to? There's a guy who could spot talent... 

Interesting if find his thread, was a lot of similar complaints about transfers

5 hours ago, Dave-R said:

We may have someone who is temporarily filling in Suso's role.

Nicola Ibbettson is her name right??, shes been apart of some well known deals in football going over the line so she has experience in that area and shes very professional, wonder if they have her temporarily in that role?? Surely they wouldnt have him vacate his job without somebody at the club taking over straight away, you usually have someone with the vast knowledge of football clubs and there inner workings floating around and move into a vacated job for time being until they can find a suitable replacement. 

Agree with this. Think we will either announce someone in the next few days - or we will sign players without a SD in place. As you say there are other people at the club who can spot players and handle the negioations....

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Sign all the Jordan’s!!!

I like your style. I can see how we may be able to acquire the model (two up front finally) and Eddie to provide a bit of flair in the midfield. However, I think signing the country is going to be hard task and what will it really provide us on the pitch? I mean I know it’s unsettled and might perform better if it wasn’t currently where it is but I just don’t see how it’ll improve the club. 

• Haha 2

Â