Johan Lange

hippo

17 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Fair enough but I think that there is probably more than 18-20 CMs in the world, of a caliber that would improve our midfield. There’s a lot of leeway between Marvelous and world class, even on his good days. Easy sitting on the sofa I guess. 

I think it's a matter of:

Do we buy someone who is just marginally better than the midfielders who finished 11th last season, or try again for a massive upgrade in January or next summer?  Say what you want about the Ings signing, he is a massive upgrade on Davis and was available this summer at a price we were willing to pay for him.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Do we buy someone who is just marginally better than the midfielders who finished 11th last season, or try again for a massive upgrade in January or next summer?  Say what you want about the Ings signing, he is a massive upgrade on Davis and was available this summer at a price we were willing to pay for him.  

That's very football manager-esque thinking and I don't mean that in a negative way.

However, I do think if we were to massively upgrade players with our signings, it should be massively upgrading first team players, not backups. Ings isn't in any way a massive improvement on Watkins and now we're stuck with 2 first-team level strikers who can't seem to play together and 30m down. If you want to improve backup players, either go for a cheap but experienced head like Young or go for long-term potential.

I think the idea that all the good teams have good quality and depth in all the positions of the pitch is a myth. Very few teams have that level of quality and depth, its usually just the title challengers if any. You can't keep quality players as bench warmers for too long unless you're a Man City level team, they'll want to move on pretty soon to get game time and they'll have plenty of suitors. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

12 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I think Ings was a great signing. Going into a season again with only one quality striker would have been a big mistake. Perhaps we could have used him differently but Ings signing was a good thing. What I find difficult to believe is that we couldn’t identify and recruit a CM that would have offered a decent improvement on what we have. It’s a big world and we have a good scouting and recruitment system now, apparently. I’m just not sure what went wrong, but CM is a position we seem to have recognised as a weak area and yet didn’t manage to address it. We’re not short of money we didn’t even spend all the Grealish money in the summer. 

Was listening to Ben Foster's podcast with Neil Cutler and they got on talking about Aaron Ramsdale, which led them down the path talking about recruitment.  Cutler talks about how huge personality is when recruiting them, but also speaks about Johan Lange and his process with scouting/recruiting players and working with the coaching staff.  ~50:00 minutes in they get on this topic and lasts through ~55:00 minutes.  Interesting to hear just how much of a partnership recruitment is between the stats side of the scouting department and the coaching staff for recruitment.  Cutler also talks about how some clubs don't even involve the coaching team in the recruitment decisions at all, and just sign players based off of stats alone.  Also explains why we have had a predisposition to signing UK based players, because of all the background they're doing regarding the player's personality and temperament, which can be a huge gamble if you don't have contacts who know the player personally.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Stevie G is bringing his own coaching team and his own analysis guy.

What's the point of the sporting director/ head coach model ?

I thought the idea of the head coach was that should he leave / be dismissed we wouldn't be starting all over again.?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hippo said:

I thought the idea of the head coach was that should he leave / be dismissed we wouldn't be starting all over again.?

I think the owners were a bit naive about that. It’s one thing to like the idea of a different structure but if all your targets for ‘head coach’ see themselves as as a manager not a ‘coach’ and all the fans and media treat them as a manager when judging their performance it becomes pretty difficult to break the mould.  

9 hours ago, hippo said:

Who says they can't work together?

Also there are different types of 'analysis guys'. For example I can imagine a discussion between the current and new guys around what indicators they think are important and possibly even learn from each other. In addition, Lange has the responsibility of using analysis for signings where the new guy may only be looking at the current crop of players and how to get the most out of them.

Edited by Anything11

• 3 weeks later...

To say Lange is at fault thus far of a very poor return,  deduced after 14 games is just ridiculous IMO. Give them time to settle FFS before writing them and Lange off as there is little evidence to suggest he isn’t thus far. 

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

To say Lange is at fault thus far of a very poor return,  deduced after 14 games is just ridiculous IMO. Give them time to settle FFS before writing them and Lange off as there is little evidence to suggest he isn’t thus far. 

Lange was also here last season and we finished mid table and won the youth cup

But you know obviously doesn't deserve any credit for that 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Barkley, Ings, Chambers all out of absolutely nothing.

The way Lange does business, if we're linked to players, you can assume it's either the selling club or their agent leaking stuff.

Even Percy and Collomosse said we were after Bentancur so I don't think it's quite as Phil McNulty has said it and we were never there.

• 2 weeks later...

I think he's got a tricky job future proofing us with a manager so set on one one strict formation.

Say Bailey doesn't adjust to the narrow shape, and we sell him...we won't be buying any more wingers while Gerrard is here. 

Interesting challenge for him, because I think it's pretty rare for managers/coaches not to use wide attackers.

I'd also love to see the net widened a bit regarding scouting. Feels a bit MONNY at the moment and that's not a good thing at all.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry Johan Lange but its TIME TO GO! 
WTF are you blowing £100 Million on Ings and two right wingers to replace a left winger in Grealish
Its not like you have bought us some unknown gems from a Danish league so I don't see the point of you.
Take Purslow and Gerrard with you too

#LANGEOUT 

Edited by messi11
  • Haha 4

https://twitter.com/villamole1/status/1510691474236661770?s=21&t=AtEWEw_TJKG8J01MSloW9A

Apologies if this did not embed properly, I saw this tweet not from the best source tbh. However they did get the Coutinho news spot on and the Gerrard announcement. 

I’m a bit worried if they give Gerrard free reign on what transfers we bring in and who we sell. I know questions need to be asked of Lange, but I would not be surprised if Purslow had his say in our dealings. 

If this is true it does feel like Lange is the fall guy.

• Like 1

Â