Johan Lange

hippo

19 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That's not correct. Check the dates. Aston Villa did not sign any players during the period between Suso and Lange. I know it looks good for the Dean Smith narrative but unfortunately this one doesn't work

Agreed. I was indeed incorrect. (Although how much input Lange had in Watkins , Cash who knows)

I do think we have changed tack in the last window. And don't think we have brought players in the positions we need.

There's enough in that squad for midtable/lower midtable. If DS falls below that then questions might need to be asked.

I'm just not a fan of changing head coach mid season if we can avoid it.

57 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Granted some are my own opinion, but Martinez, Bailey and Ings are clearly PL level, Martinez and Ings by current and historic performance, and Bailey for anyone who has eyes.

Cash is clearly at least a good signing for anyone who has watched us play, and for all Traore's weaknesses, i defy anyone to show evidence that he wasnt on balance, at least a good signing for the squad.

Buendia in the 19/20 PL season with Norwich, was only behind De Bruyne and Grealish for chance creation, in a team that actually got relegated, i think anyone who doesnt see Buendia's ability needs to get their spectacles checked, but granted he doesnt seem to have settled with us yet, and possibly is being used incorrectly, or our tactics dont suit the players we have, or a mixture of them, or a mixture of other things.

Buendia also tore the championship a new one last year, and although this isnt a guaranteed marker, you could see his ability (see other players like Maddison, Eze, Olise), the guy is seriously talented.

I think the only one of the players i listed that is debatable with anyone who does their homework, is Sanson, and i suppose i can agree that at this time he hasnt proven to be a "good" signing, its just my own opinion that i tihnk he will prove to be a good signing, if he stays fit and get the requisite opportunities, i suppose time will tell with that one.

I meant more recent recruits. Sanson, Buendia, etc.

On 12/10/2021 at 12:18, brommy said:

I know someone who works as an analyst at Bodymoor Heath, not studying the players but purely analysing the performance levels of the coaching staff. 

Your mate must be REALLY busy right now. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed. I was indeed incorrect. (Although how much input Lange had in Watkins , Cash who knows)

I do think we have changed tack in the last window. And don't think we have brought players in the positions we need.

There's enough in that squad for midtable/lower midtable. If DS falls below that then questions might need to be asked.

I'm just not a fan of changing head coach mid season if we can avoid it.

I am with you, changing gaffer mid season is not a good place to be. The only times it happens (other than Watford) is when the manager os clearly underachieving. My concern is that currently Dean is underachieving and Purslow and NSWE will be well aware of that. So he needs to turn it around very very quickly if he doesn't want to join the list of managers sacked during a season. I have no idea how many games he will have to turn it around but he will have a few. If we lose the next 3 games and are on 6 losses in a row then I expect his job security will be determined on a match by match basis

12 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am with you, changing gaffer mid season is not a good place to be. The only times it happens (other than Watford) is when the manager os clearly underachieving. My concern is that currently Dean is underachieving and Purslow and NSWE will be well aware of that. So he needs to turn it around very very quickly if he doesn't want to join the list of managers sacked during a season. I have no idea how many games he will have to turn it around but he will have a few. If we lose the next 3 games and are on 6 losses in a row then I expect his job security will be determined on a match by match basis

Agreed. I don't think any manager can survive 6 defeats in a row in the PL. 

Unless your clearly underfunded like Norwich or WBA last season.

Fwiw I don't believe we will lose the next 3. If fact I think we will beat west ham.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed. I don't think any manager can survive 6 defeats in a row in the PL. 

Unless your clearly underfunded like Norwich or WBA last season.

Fwiw I don't believe we will lose the next 3. If fact I think we will beat west ham.

As a Villa fan I would love to see us beat the Hammers but there is absolutely nothing to suggest we will. They are playing well and look like a good team, we are playing badly and have no cohesion. 

6 hours ago, hippo said:

Really? I am basically praying and hoping we do but looking how they are playing I don't see any way you can think we will beat the.  Right now it's as tougher game as you will get in The PL. 

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Really? I am basically praying and hoping we do but looking how they are playing I don't see any way you can think we will beat the.  Right now it's as tougher game as you will get in The PL. 

Dark Sunday evening in Birmingham on the weekend the clocks go back ?

Straws clutched - hoping for a west ham no show !!!!

23 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Well questions do have to be asked if he sanctioned an old injury prone striker we didn’t need for £30m and a player who isn’t very good at football for £40m. 

Presumably was instrumental in overhauling the coaching staff as well.

On 24/10/2021 at 09:59, MaVilla said:

I don't get why people are questioning our signings, I agree that we were stupid not to sign a DM, to the point of it being criminally stupid.

Maybe deano said he didnt want a DM??, who knows......we can't say with certainty that it was Lange's decision  not to can we?!

however the players we have signed in the last two summers, I actually think they were really good purchases.

Overall, personally I think martinez, cash, sanson, traore, buendia, Bailey, ings etc were all ranging between good and excellent purchases.

Now, whether we are getting the best out of them or utilising them correctly is a wholly different arguement, and one I think it the more pertinent debate.

Ironically, that kinda sounds similar to the gueye, veretout, amavi etc summer where we signed some very good players and didn't integrate and utilise them properly.

Nothing wrong with our recent individual signings IMO (even Ashley Young).

The big issue is which positions we’ve prioritised.

I think most people thought there would be more signings this summer just gone, and then we seemed to just give up once the move for JWP didn’t work out.

On 22/10/2021 at 22:18, hippo said:

Seriously - where does Ashley young fit in ?  

Spent big money on a striker - who always looked unlikely to be able to play alongside watkins

Where was the DM ? - A position we are woefully short of ?

Sanson - Injured just before we brought him - and permanently injured ever since.

In the future who knows - but right now it looks like a very poor window at a time we were looking ready to push on. I don't see how you can defend it to be honest.

• Ashley is just back up experience.
  • Lack of foresight IMO.....I'm told Deano doesn't favour DM's.
  • If we sold Danny, I would almost Guarantee, when he came back to play against us, he would bury us...I still think it was a wise move, when Ollie was injured, who would we have had? just a victim of playing in a poor side at present.
  • Sanson is just another chapter of the Marie Celeste.
  • £ 95 mill seems a steep call , for what we have at present, but I think we all know in a fully functioning, balanced team with fire in their bellies, they will be ok.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • Ashley is just back up experience.
  • Lack of foresight IMO.....I'm told Deano doesn't favour DM's.
  • If we sold Danny, I would almost Guarantee, when he came back to play against us, he would bury us...I still think it was a wise move, when Ollie was injured, who would we have had? just a victim of playing in a poor side at present.
  • Sanson is just another chapter of the Marie Celeste.
  • £ 95 mill seems a steep call , for what we have at present, but I think we all know in a fully functioning, balanced team with fire in their bellies, they will be ok.

It's not just Dean, it's the club philosophy - look at the U23s and how they play. Lindley DLP, Iroegbunam B2B, Ramsey AM. 

The problem we have in the side is the box-to-box player IMO, which is McGinn. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's not just Dean, it's the club philosophy - look at the U23s and how they play. Lindley DLP, Iroegbunam B2B, Ramsey AM. 

I think we have more than one problem, though.

you certainly have a point....shouldn't be nailed on to play, a few of the regulars should be fighting for the shirt on the peripheral.

I think we have inadvertently invested too much emotion in to some of the players, talking general now, and have come to think they are better than they actually are.

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I agree the issue is McGinn but he did his defensive duties a lot better yesterday. The issue is he doesn't come short. You need 2 midfielders to come short and collect the ball from the defence. Luiz is the only one who does that and without him in the side we have to resort to hoofing it because we don't have anyone who gets their foot on the ball and passes it around. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Then he has to educate them...it's his job on the line here.

You have to grow some, in that job.

On 24/10/2021 at 11:32, Peter Griffin said:

I don't like to see managers sacked period....but what I hate most of all, is leaving something until the last minute and giving the new guy, no chance to save the club from the trap door.

I say Back him or sack him.....but don't sit on your hands owners, be/stay in control.

However, I will go with whatever they decide to do.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't like to see managers sacked period....but what I hate most of all, is leaving something until the last minute and giving the new guy, no chance to save the club from the trap door.

100% agree. Procrastination is a sure fire way to disaster. Yes, they could make the wrong decision and it may create a setback e.g. Spurs employing Nuno and sacking him after 10 games but I think they have now struck gold with Conte, but it is worse not to sack and risk making a mistake

15 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

100% agree. Procrastination is a sure fire way to disaster. Yes, they could make the wrong decision and it may create a setback e.g. Spurs employing Nuno and sacking him after 10 games but I think they have now struck gold with Conte, but it is worse not to sack and risk making a mistake

Yup the idea that you stick with something that isn't working because "it's the right thing to do" !!!!

Problem now is we put those like purslow, Lange on a pedestal .... "Oh they have someone lined up'.......

I don't share that. We will most likely be picking from managers that couldn't land a job in the close season....

Â