Johan Lange

hippo

Big test of recruitment now.

If we cock this up we may never get a better chance to build.

Noise of Tammy, Tuanzebe and Cantwell concern me a bit. If those sorts of moves happen it's because Smith has said no to whatever is being brought forward. He's been burnt before and I back him to say no to players if they aren't good enough.

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's a big moment for him.

Is this a David Platt moment or a Christian Benteke moment?   Making it the former is in his hands.

What was the difference? Did we invest well after Platt left?  Was he sold for mega-bucks for that time?

Just now, ender4 said:

What was the difference? Did we invest well after Platt left?  Was he sold for mega-bucks for that time?

5.5million I believe. A year or two later Villa finished second in the first premier(ship) season.

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Didn’t he make his name by selling players for high value and bringing in cheap alternatives. Well now is his time to shine on a bigger scale. 
If we can get 3 good additions to the team for the Grealish money he’ll have done well.

In Bailey and Buendia I feel we've got 2 of the 3...and hopefully neither of them have paper shins. 

A genuine number 10 on top, and some depth in other squad areas sees us improve our team compared with last years, especially so considering the number of games Jack missed.

It's a very pragmatic way to look at it, but think that's where Lange will see us right in the end.

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Hahahah.

I know a blues fan who was on holiday when we sold Platt.  He was taking the piss when he came back and saw me but when I told him the fee he almost expired.  £5.5m!   It absolutely smashed the British transfer record.  we used the money to buy Dean Saunders, Steve Staunton and Ray Houghton and finished second the next season.   £5.5m was A LOT of money in those days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

In Bailey and Buendia I feel we've got 2 of the 3...and hopefully neither of them have paper shins. 

A genuine number 10 on top, and some depth in other squad areas sees us improve our team compared with last years, especially so considering the number of games Jack missed.

It's a very pragmatic way to look at it, but think that's where Lange will see us right in the end.

Ideally I’d want 3, on top of those 2 to really boost the squad. 

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Ideally I’d want 3, on top of those 2 to really boost the squad. 

I'd want 3, but not 3 more forwards. 1 more forward, 1 cdm, 1 other. Not sure what I'd prioritise for the "other", guess it will depend on the shape we plan to go with.

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hahahah.

I know a blues fan who was on holiday when we sold Platt.  He was taking the piss when he came back and saw me but when I told him the fee he almost expired.  £5.5m!   It absolutely smashed the British transfer record.  we used the money to buy Dean Saunders, Steve Staunton and Ray Houghton and finished second the next season.   £5.5m was A LOT of money in those days.

Ohhh wow! Didn’t realise he was sold for so much.  Now I’m probably going to look silly but who did we sell him to?  Actually I will Google it!

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I'd want 3, but not 3 more forwards. 1 more forward, 1 cdm, 1 other. Not sure what I'd prioritise for the "other", guess it will depend on the shape we plan to go with.

Yep this. 

id assume Lange has had his list ready for weeks/months, and probably bids have already gone out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, romavillan said:

To Bari for a bit more than that I thought?

Pretty sure it was £5.5m. A quick check from a couple of sources suggests it was.

He subsequently went to Juventus for £6.5m from Bari.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Ohhh wow! Didn’t realise he was sold for so much.  Now I’m probably going to look silly but who did we sell him to?  Actually I will Google it!

Barry Town.  They were Lush in those days

If nothing else, got to applaud the way the Danny Ings transfer was done.

No rumours until the day itself, and even those were not by the media. Just announced on the official site like it's nothing.

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

AS Bari (as they were called then)

Who have signed 3 Villa players over the years - Rideout and Cowans in the 80's and Platt in 91

They sort of became my default Italian team as a result - loved their kit. Sud Factoring was the sponsor. 

They've gone bust twice in recent years, like a lot of smaller Italian clubs. 

Platty only went there as a stepping stone. Play well and he knew he would get a bigger move, and he did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Mr Lange;

In reconpense for your !walk on water" type transfer dealing since you have been at Villa, my daughters are currently 8 years old (twins), if you wish to marry one of them when they come of age, you are welcome to choose one!

Let me know your decision via a letter please, preferably scanned and sent over (not via carrier pigeon like Bailey's contract - kk tyvm)

ta ta 4 now!

• Confused 1

Â