Johan Lange

hippo

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Wow, prior to Dante, 4 months without a post in this thread. 

How it should be I reckon. Pulls the strings, behind the scenes and lets Deano and the Boys take the limelight. 

I **** love my football team. 

• Like 3

I would hazard a guess, he is just out to please those that matter to him....but in doing so, has a major impact on us.

He will know where his value is being accrued.

I have no idea, about anything about the guy, but if the owners ,the manager and the CEO is happy.......so am I.

I'm delighted to be signing Buendia but does it really take a lot to identify the best player in the Championship and sign him when you've got a relatively mahoosive budget like we have?  I think Suso gets a bit of unfair stick for the job he did in the circumstances.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm delighted to be signing Buendia but does it really take a lot to identify the best player in the Championship and sign him when you've got a relatively mahoosive budget like we have?  I think Suso gets a bit of unfair stick for the job he did in the circumstances.

Yep agreed, it will be interesting if he finds us some gems as well. The likes of Buendia at the fee Norwich paid for him.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Interesting question.

I recall back in 2015-2016 during the fall out from relegation and the disaster that was the summer recruitment drive that people were far too quick to point the finger at Paddy Reilly, a man with a very good track record when at Liverpool. The season was a disaster but it didn't necessarily follow that the recruitment had been.  Gueye, Amavi, Ayew, Vertout and Traore were good players and good signings irrespective of how things played out.

I don't want to dwell too much on why it didn't work out, I think we all by and large would agree on the reasons. Ultimately though there was a disconnect between that Reilly was identifying and what Sherwood as the manager wanted again lets not dwell on Sherwood or the issues around the club at the time as it isn't really the point of discussion. The point is about Paddy Reilly who was a casualty in the fall out and as I said at the time had probably done a good job but not the right job.

Then we have Suso, I actually think that in the circumstances Suso did a good job. I don't think his departure should be seen as a conclusion that the club felt differently. I think we saw last season more benefits from his recruitment than we perhaps saw in the first season. The only caveat being it is hard to know precisely who is responsible for what signing. My view is Suso was a casualty more of the evolution of the club, we've moved from a traditional scouting network to a data and analytical model. So I agree with you on your last line in relation to him.

So that takes me back to the opening part of your post in reference to Lange. No it doesn't take a lot to identify a player like that, although huge amounts of scouting, analysis and background checks will still be done. But in my view it is a little too simplistic to view it this way or to directly or indirectly raise questions of Lange.

In the Reilly/Sherwood era the issue we had was a disconnect between the two, with Suso and Smith I think privately Smith would perhaps admit he should have been stronger that summer about who came in to the club. But we had a huge amount to do in a short period of time and ultimately the recruitment proved to be mostly good even if not straight away.

That takes us to now... I think Smith has perhaps has more of a voice or more authority and they've seen how well Watkins, Cash and Konsa have done. So I think there is more influence from the manager than we've seen previously during Suso or Reilly's times with us. I see that as a huge positive.

As for Lange himself, his role isn't as I understand it the same as Reilly or Suso it is significantly bigger with a far wider reaching remit, extending to all aspects of the club and a staff twice the size of that when promoted.

Even if every signing we make this summer is domestic I don't see an issue with it neither do I think it should be seen as any kind of indication about the job Lange and his team are doing. We should also remember the circumstances we find ourselves in globally, signing players from within the English game makes sense because there are so many complications for those potentially moving internationally at this moment in time.

The work Lange and his staff are doing will benefit this club way beyond this window.

I agree totally, even with the Paddy Reilly bit.  I can't fault the way the club has been run from top to bottom.  

• 1 month later...

Make or break his time here over the next few weeks really.

If what he finds and negotiates for us somehow pushes us up the league the project continues.

If not, we'll be discussing Arsenal fans Ollie and Ezri next summer. We have to compete this year or we run the risk of becoming Southampton rather than Leicester. Over to you Johan!

Didn’t he make his name by selling players for high value and bringing in cheap alternatives. Well now is his time to shine on a bigger scale. 
If we can get 3 good additions to the team for the Grealish money he’ll have done well.

Â