Johan Lange

hippo

1 hour ago, Knutserov13 said:

I would have expected an interview with Lange on the OS by now.

Hopefully he hasn't had time because he's been put straight to work on transfers.

• Like 4

Whilst the Moneyball is a interesting approach and  well worth looking at, it is still basically the teams with the highest budgets do the best in performance . I don't think that will really change. All teams must do statistical analysis and the bigger teams probably have more resources to do it better. The Oakland A's never won the world series under Beane. Not really a suprise given how small the franchise is. The Red Sox took the same approach with a lot more money and was succesful.

Edited by The Fun Factory

On the subject of data analysis ,

Aston Villa were predicted to finish 17th by the data experts at the start of the season with 37 points. In reality, they finished 17th on 35 points.

Impressive until you realise they had Bournemouth to fish 11th and City as champions

Now that all Premier League clubs now know their fate and where they’ll be playing next season, we took a look at how data experts FiveThirtyEight thought the table would look way back in August before a ball had been kicked…

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And there you have the problem with data analysis in a nutshell. 'Should have' finished 2nd according to the data, but actually finished 9th. Want to know why? Watch the games. 

Yep I agree as I said later in the post finding the balance is the key. Just looking at the stats provides limited insight in to what happened. A bit like only quoting a snippet of a post only provides limited insight into what was actually said.😉

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Personally I couldn’t care less if we never hear from him. Any statement from someone on a role like this is always going to be criticised,  if he says we want to buy low price and sell on, criticised. If he says we want to but top talent, criticised. If he says we have money to spend, clubs put prices up. 
Why as fans do we need to know what the sporting director is thinking. Let him be judged on his performance not on his words.

Bang on. The Villa media side if anything are a little bit full on at times. Like, nice to see the videos from when they interviewed Mark Harrison but again other clubs wouldn't be putting up YouTube videos of interviews with the new guy over the academy. We don't need to hear from Lange. Just because we aren't hearing from him, it doesn't mean he's not working. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Bang on. The Villa media side if anything are a little bit full on at times. Like, nice to see the videos from when they interviewed Mark Harrison but again other clubs wouldn't be putting up YouTube videos of interviews with the new guy over the academy. We don't need to hear from Lange. Just because we aren't hearing from him, it doesn't mean he's not working. 

You mean he doesn’t just sit at home when he’s not making videos? 

6 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

HUGE appointment I’m very excited by this news.

This story deserves its own thread and there are some in-depth articles about how he goes about his work.

His analytics discovered Mahrez.

Not technically, Steve Walsh found Mahrez when looking at another player at Le Havre which meant he was then tracked in the system

Mahrez was highlighted by the analytics team later on when we were looking for players of a certain criteria (wide player with 1 year left on his contract and matched criteria from the universal database such as progressive runs etc.)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fox1884 said:

Not technically, Steve Walsh found Mahrez when looking at another player at Le Havre which meant he was then tracked in the system

Mahrez was highlighted by the analytics team later on when we were looking for players of a certain criteria (wide player with 1 year left on his contract and matched criteria from the universal database such as progressive runs etc.)

How's this Mackenzie viewed in general would you say?

He's either very good or a magnificent blagger.

His constant moving around seems strange to me.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Seems like he is highly rated wherever he goes, we were rumoured to be considering bringing him back after our head technical scout left last year but we went with someone else, but he definitely has good experience hehind him as well

Technical scouting is obviously becoming a massive thing when clubs look at transfers now so having someone like Mackenzie who has been doing it for a while will definitely help, will just depend on the kind of players that Smith wants

He used to follow Nigel Pearson around - was with us when he was our manager, left and joined Spurs, then joined up with Pearson at Derby and then recently OH Leuven when Pearson was manager and stayed after he left there

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I imagine if you dig into it that people in those sorts of roles tend to move around quite a lot, as they get poached by other clubs and new managers come in who don't see eye to eye.

6 minutes ago, Fox1884 said:

Seems like he is highly rated wherever he goes, we were rumoured to be considering bringing him back after our head technical scout left last year but we went with someone else, but he definitely has good experience hehind him as well

Technical scouting is obviously becoming a massive thing when clubs look at transfers now so having someone like Mackenzie who has been doing it for a while will definitely help, will just depend on the kind of players that Smith wants

He used to follow Nigel Pearson around - was with us when he was our manager, left and joined Spurs, then joined up with Pearson at Derby and then recently OH Leuven when Pearson was manager and stayed after he left there

What an awful thing to do :lol:

That's actually good to hear.

There's now a logical reason he's ended up at a second division Belgian side.

Agree with your general point as well. With this chap and spreadsheet lover Lange we can move our scouting in the 21st century, even if neither is here for the long-term.

• 1 month later...
Â