Jump to content

Johan Lange - Sporting Director


Recommended Posts

Thinking about this, its a very obvious choice to switch director. We're in a totally different position to when Suso was appointed, the challenge now is different. The groundwork is laid, and we need someone to push on. Can see this being an exciting post/pre season. Hopefully it is!

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I believe the club is still committed to the philosophy of a sporting director.

I don't.

many of the press of saying they are reviewing the recruitment process. I think the Susso replacement will be some way off and will have a narrower role than Susso said. I would imagine we already have some player transfer targets in mind and will crack on with these first.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen some tweets from Guilleme Balague concerning Suso and why he left, he tweeted in Spanish, I've just run it through Google Translate:
 

https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague

Quote

 

It may seem strange that Suso García Pitarch leaves Aston Villa after promoting the team two years earlier than planned, taking him to a cup final and guaranteeing his presence in the Premier (that is, sports success is undeniable), but it is not I pray all that glitters ...

CEO Christian Purslow did not always readily accept the owners' relationship with the sports director. In case Dean Smith had to be replaced, he was asked for advice (Suso suggested Javi Gracia, Chris Hughton, Bruno Lage, Purslow wanted Steven Gerrard or John Terry)

Without the presence of the owners (they haven't been to see the team for seven months), Purslow (who does not live in Birmingham) covers a lot of ground. Thus the signing of Drinkwater was his and Dean Smith's (Suso was in London signing Nzonzi)

The owners asked Suso for a quality jump in the squad and on the bench for the following season. Contacts were established with high-level coaches eager to get on the bandwagon. But the CEO felt sidelined and the relationship with Suso deteriorated.

Smith and Suso have received media criticism for passing on interesting information that protects Purslow. Difficult to work in these conditions. Suso has preferred not to continue despite having one more year of contract, and he told the owners a while ago.

 

I've no idea if any of that is true mind...

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • limpid changed the title to New Sporting director

Strange one. He deserves his share of credit for us getting up and still being a premier league club. 

I would have thought he'd be a long term appointment. 

The fruits of his work will only emerge after some time.

It's too early to judge him and anything other than the signings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Just seen some tweets from Guilleme Balague concerning Suso and why he left, he tweeted in Spanish, I've just run it through Google Translate:
 

https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague

I've no idea if any of that is true mind...

 

 

 

Whats the Nzonzi bit on about ? 

I suspect there is always going to be the risk that a sporting director treads on a few toes. Still think the replacement (if any) will have a much narrower role than Susso

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Whats the Nzonzi bit on about ? 

I suspect there is always going to be the risk that a sporting director treads on a few toes. Still think the replacement (if any) will have a much narrower role than Susso

The way I read it, it's saying that Smith and Purslow wanted to sign Drinkwater and Suso wanted to get N'Zonzi, then Drinkwater was signed behind Suso's back while he was in talks with N'Zonzi. Now obviously this has been translated, I could be completely wrong, it could be complete nonsense, but it suggests a break down in communication/Ego's maybe getting in the way.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't know who to believe, but this surely suggests it might be better not to make massive presumptions based on scraps.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Rolta said:

We don't know who to believe, but this surely suggests it might be better not to make massive presumptions based on scraps.

 

I agree, it should be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

However, we already knew Purslow and Suso had a falling out, that's nothing new. Just interesting to read something from Suso's side of things.

The truth will probably lay somewhere in the middle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Just seen some tweets from Guilleme Balague concerning Suso and why he left, he tweeted in Spanish, I've just run it through Google Translate:
 

https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague

I've no idea if any of that is true mind...

 

 

 

Guilleme Balague is usually very reliable on these types to things I would believe what he says more than most, especially when it comes to matters related to Spanish players and managements teams. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Herman22 said:

Guilleme Balague is usually very reliable on these types to things I would believe what he says more than most, especially when it comes to matters related to Spanish players and managements teams. 

That's why I thought it worth posting, if it was anyone else I'd of probably just left it. He's the de facto English language journalist for everything Spanish football related. However, the fact he wrote those tweets in Spanish means it's intended for a Spanish audience and so it's always going to show Suso in a more positive light than not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Teale's 'tache said:

That's why I thought it worth posting, if it was anyone else I'd of probably just left it. He's the de facto English language journalist for everything Spanish football related. However, the fact he wrote those tweets in Spanish means it's intended for a Spanish audience and so it's always going to show Suso in a more positive light than not.

He is supposed to be quite friendly with Suso so bear that in mind also.

There are always so many egos and moving parts in management structures like a football club that people will come and go. All about getting the right replacements now, both on and off the pitch! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember Balague being correct about anything ever.

Quote

"Smith and Suso have received media criticism for passing on interesting information that protects Purslow. Difficult to work in these conditions. Suso has preferred not to continue despite having one more year of contract, and he told the owners a while ago."

Don't understand this bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

The way I read it, it's saying that Smith and Purslow wanted to sign Drinkwater and Suso wanted to get N'Zonzi, then Drinkwater was signed behind Suso's back while he was in talks with N'Zonzi. Now obviously this has been translated, I could be completely wrong, it could be complete nonsense, but it suggests a break down in communication/Ego's maybe getting in the way.

 

Yeah that makes sense I suppose. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • limpid changed the title to Johan Lange - Sporting Director
  • TrentVilla locked this topic
  • TrentVilla unlocked this topic
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â