Johan Lange

hippo

32 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’d just like to try, if at all possible, to correct something I believe to be incorrect but has now been repeated so many times I think people think it’s correct.

People seem to think that when Lange was appointed the statement from the club said he would report directly to the owners and this meant he was reporting to Edens and Sawiris. This is simply incorrect for two reasons and doesn’t as some have suggested spell trouble by circumnavigating Purslow.

First of all the statement said he would report to the board, the board is Edens, Sawiris AND Purslow. Secondly although a minority shareholder Purslow is also part owner of the club. So even if it did say “owners”, which it didn’t, then this would still include Purslow.

The hair is already running and I’ll probably be trying to correct this misconception for months but it’s just wrong. There is nothing to suggest that Purslow’s roll has changed or that the involvement of the two majority owners has become more hands on.

All I think the statement confirmed was that Lange isn’t reporting to Smith or Mark Harrison.

No I’m pretty sure I read online that he’s working direct for the owners with a side business focused on buying and selling players for profit and only offering the occasional one up as an Aston Villa player.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

No I’m pretty sure I read online that he’s working direct for the owners with a side business focused on buying and selling players for profit and only offering the occasional one up as an Aston Villa player.

Pretty sure you didn’t.

4 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

When Lange scrutinises the stats for last season he will see two stand out stats in matches where we got a result.

1) Hourihane played.

2)We played with one winger rather than two.

I know some of you guys don't think much of Hourihane, but the stats reflect favourable on his valuable contribution to our staying up.

Also, one out and out winger is the way forward according to the stats.

With hourihane it is because no one else in our team can take set pieces which needs to be fixed. 2nd we played better with only one winger because it meant we could play hourihane with jack, mcginn and Luiz. The one winger is more as a result of the first point rather than a cause itself. 

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I’d just like to try, if at all possible, to correct something I believe to be incorrect but has now been repeated so many times I think people think it’s correct.

People seem to think that when Lange was appointed the statement from the club said he would report directly to the owners and this meant he was reporting to Edens and Sawiris. This is simply incorrect for two reasons and doesn’t as some have suggested spell trouble by circumnavigating Purslow.

First of all the statement said he would report to the board, the board is Edens, Sawiris AND Purslow. Secondly although a minority shareholder Purslow is also part owner of the club. So even if it did say “owners”, which it didn’t, then this would still include Purslow.

The hair is already running and I’ll probably be trying to correct this misconception for months but it’s just wrong. There is nothing to suggest that Purslow’s roll has changed or that the involvement of the two majority owners has become more hands on.

All I think the statement confirmed was that Lange isn’t reporting to Smith or Mark Harrison.

That dispells my worry, thanks.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 31/07/2020 at 21:32, Tomaszk said:

Here's what it said in case people are wondering:

but, by that....it suggests to me he has a slightly different mandate to the dep't Purslow runs....like a seperate dep't, his own entitiy.

He is clearly not reporting directly to Purslow, based on that......He will report to the board like other Directors.

The interview with Simon Jordan is interesting and certainly explains the role of SD really well. He said that the SD ‘doesn’t only’ deal with transfers, but I’d like to focus on that aspect (and apologies if this has been covered before):

Does the SD, whether it be be Suso or Lange, actually deal with the negotiations to purchase a player, or is there a legal/commercial team at the club who thrash out the financial details of transfers? By this I don’t mean the player’s contract, but rather the minutiae of the deal itself?

Would the change in SD perhaps bring us advantages in this area? 

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

but, by that....it suggests to me he has a slightly different mandate to the dep't Purslow runs....like a seperate dep't, his own entitiy.

He is clearly not reporting directly to Purslow, based on that......He will report to the board like other Directors.

But as purslow sits on the board, as @TrentVilla said, then surely he is in a way, reporting directly to purslow? 

And, as sawiris and Edens have their fingers in a lot of other pies business wise, then they must entrust the other board member to make the right decisions for the football club. Namely purslow. 

Edited by Mjvilla
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

But as purslow sits on the board, as @TrentVilla said, then surely he is in a way, reporting directly to purslow? 

My Understanding of Board structures....is not ,No.

Purslow, is not the board he is only on it.

I am not Privvy to the Villa structure in detail, so I am only picking up stuff reported.

But I am clear in the definition, reporting directly to Purslow, is not the same as reporting directly to the board.

Everyone who reports directly to Purslow in line management will not attend Board meetings.....It seems to me, by whats being reported, Johan Lange will attend board meetings.....that suggests to me he has his own Department......They may share common interests in the welfare of the club, but that will be overseen in board meetings.

Thats my interpretation, from the limited information I have.

I almost get the impression the owners want to seperate the financial side of player transfers from the inner workings of the club and not get them all washed up together.....with a view to keep better stock and control of the transfer system.

I think Simon Jordan is right, when owners are distant from the day to day workings of the club, transparency is a key component for them to work with.

It could in theory work really well, under those circumstances.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

My Understanding of Board structures....is not ,No.

Purslow, is not the board he is only on it.

I am not Privvy to the Villa structure in detail, so I am only picking up stuff reported.

But I am clear in the definition, reporting directly to Purslow, is not the same as reporting directly to the board.

Everyone who reports directly to Purslow in line management will not attend Board meetings.....It seems to me, by whats being reported, Johan Lange will attend board meetings.....that suggests to me he has his own Department......They may share common interests in the welfare of the club, but that will be overseen in board meetings.

Thats my interpretation, from the limited information I have.

Like you say, it's the way you choose to interpret it. I think you have a far more cynical view on what's going on at villa park... Hence you getting straight onto this thinking of potential fall outs and the like. 

I have a very more simplistic view where the main 2 rely on purslow, who will be at the club all the time, to make most of the footballing decisions. Hence, Lange reporting to the board, on which purslow sits, isn't anywhere near as cynical as you seem to want it to be.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Simon Jordon Talks Villa Sporting Director

Interesting words from Simon Jordon about villas change in sporting director. A bit more insight into the role of the sporting director. Generally positive, behind the character of Simon Jordon I'm often a fan of what he says

He often comes across like a bit of a bellend... but he seems to have a soft spot for us and really dislikes Birmingham City... So I can't help but like him either...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

Like you say, it's the way you choose to interpret it. I think you have a far more cynical view on what's going on at villa park... Hence you getting straight onto this thinking of potential fall outs and the like. 

I have a very more simplistic view where the main 2 rely on purslow, who will be at the club all the time, to make most of the footballing decisions. Hence, Lange reporting to the board, on which purslow sits, isn't anywhere near as cynical as you seem to want it to be.

you seem to have ignored the final 3 lines, where I said on the other hand ,it could work well...... because it doesn't fit the agenda you seek.

You are assuming, I want it to be trouble....because thats the view you have of my views......I want Harmony as much as you......but I don't know the personalities, so I am speculating, either way.

don't confuse what I think could happen with the reporting procedure itself.......one is a possible scenario, the other is fact....if the reporting procedure has been disclosed properly, there isn't a " he is in a way" .....He either reports to Purslow or he doesn't, that is my entire point......if he is on the board, he works WITH Purslow, not FOR him.

Its not looking for trouble....its more about being aware of potential pit falls.......We haven't exactly been a kindergarten organsiation over the last decade or so, so it is hardly searching for downsides....there has been plenty to chew on.

I can see why the ownwers have done it.......In my humble opinion, I think the restructuring is designed given more control back to the owners in relation to financing of player transfers, making it more accountable, some could think it is limiting Purslows responsibility, that maybe so,too.

Edited by TRO

28 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

He often comes across like a bit of a bellend... but he seems to have a soft spot for us and really dislikes Birmingham City... So I can't help but like him either...

I would call him astute.

On 31/07/2020 at 18:30, MotoMkali said:

With hourihane it is because no one else in our team can take set pieces which needs to be fixed. 2nd we played better with only one winger because it meant we could play hourihane with jack, mcginn and Luiz. The one winger is more as a result of the first point rather than a cause itself. 

I watched a McGinn highlights video before which had him set up a couple of lovely goals from free kicks last season, I didn’t even remember those. 

Â