Johan Lange

hippo

10 minutes ago, useless said:

Had a look on a Copenhagen forum last night and they didn't seem to be bothered about losing him, apparently they've made a few disappointing purchases of late and it seems they don't know what it actually is that he does, apparently it's someone else who spots the players, FC Copenhagen even said on their website that he wouldn't be replaced as they think they can continue doing what they're doing without him.

I guess we just have to judge him based on what he does with us, will be different circumstances really, there he was very limited in terms of who he was able to sign, and his strategy to attract players was to tell them that if they do well they can get a move to one of the big five leagues, here he will be able to sign a different class of player and they will already be coming to a club playing in one of the 'big five' leagues.

Marvellous.

6 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

Am little worried about his appointment, have searched all over the net to find some of his successful signings or accomplishment , only a few unknown players sold for profit & the profile & type of those players are quite underwhelming. I am also not sure someone from the Danish league ,  can take us forward ... in this modern era football of the Wolves’s Mengdes / Leed’s  Bielsa or even Brentford etc , it’s hard to be excited about Lange .. let’s hope our owners knows things we don’t 

Brentford guys came from the Danish league 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To counter that a lot of their fans on twitter seemed very disappointed to have lost him, so maybe they just happen to have very negative fans that post on that particular forum.

I'm sure our owners wlll have looked into him and he will have done something right for them to have decided to appoint him.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Exactly. Brentford have access also to Matthew Benham's smartodds company for data and analysis. That's a pretty big company.

Which is the same with Brighton and Tony Blooms 'Star Lizard' football hedge fund. They have teams of PhD quants going working on football data.   

Yeah there really is not much out there in regards to Lange, not even on YouTube, there a few vids of him but not in english.

It's tough getting into this guys history, whether that's a good or bad thing I do not know.

Have had a read of this just, it all sounds perfect and clear but only time is going to tell if we have made a bad choice or not:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-grealish-lange-18690294

We just have to trust that he is the right guy for the job and we arnt pulling in any tom dick or harry to these roles. Really experience would make us feel chilled about the new SD despite that nothing is ever Guaranteed in terms of success.

A good way Lange could start I think would be to make a statement saying Grealish has been secured for another five years, that Reina is staying with the club and that we are close to signing an incredible Striker or Winger.

Seems he’s been used to dealing in the low market buys and selling on for profit , the standard of player required at villa is a lot higher than the danish league , I hope he has the coNtact’s To shop in a higher level market place than where he has been . 

the transfer budget at villa will be vastly higher than Copenhagen , I wish him well. 

13 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Yeah there really is not much out there in regards to Lange, not even on YouTube, there a few vids of him but not in english.

It's tough getting into this guys history, whether that's a good or bad thing I do not know.

Have had a read of this just, it all sounds perfect and clear but only time is going to tell if we have made a bad choice or not:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-grealish-lange-18690294

We just have to trust that he is the right guy for the job and we arnt pulling in any tom dick or harry to these roles. Really experience would make us feel chilled about the new SD despite that nothing is ever Guaranteed in terms of success.

A good way Lange could start I think would be to make a statement saying Grealish has been secured for another five years, that Reina is staying with the club and that we are close to signing an incredible Striker or Winger.

Nothing? Not even a compilation of him banging in Tonev style screamers? Lange out!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Brentford guys came from the Danish league 😂😂

In fact the DoF of Brentford - Rasmus Ankersen has a part time role as the chairman of FC Midtjylland, which is basically the other largest team in Denmark right now 😂😂

Edited by hong0311

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Seems he’s been used to dealing in the low market buys and selling on for profit , the standard of player required at villa is a lot higher than the danish league , I hope he has the coNtact’s To shop in a higher level market place than where he has been . 

the transfer budget at villa will be vastly higher than Copenhagen , I wish him well. 

Same contacts as the big shot Suso?

I really don’t understand looking up Wolves or Copenhagen fansites. 
No fan really knows what a Sporting Director does, or what has gone on in the background. The only thing we as fans can judge is transfer success and that could be a small proportion of the job they have.

The board seem highly ambitious and are very successful businessmen in their own right. I’m sure they’ve done their due diligence on the man.

• Like 1

I don't think he'll have a big role in the transfer department, I think that'll be left mainly to Dean and the scouts. Sounds like a very supplementary role to different areas of the club and working to weave them together 

Many fans do understand what Sporting Directors do, It's not some mysterious role, the duties are well documented, aleit they can vary from club to club, it's pretty understandable why someone would  look up the opinion of the fans of the last club a new Sporting Director was at, they will have a better idea than most if he's done a good job or not.

Edited by useless
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, hong0311 said:

In fact the DoF of Brentford - Rasmus Ankersen has a part time role as the chairman of FC Midtjylland, which is basically the other largest team in Denmark right now 😂😂

Brentford and Midtjylland are both owned by the same person. 

I don't think we need a big name Sporting Director with contacts to attract an higher calibre of player, the well known players we will know about and they will know about us as a premier league club. Many clubs in the premier league won't have a big name DoF.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think we need a big name Sporting Director with contacts to attract an higher calibre of player, the well known players we will know about and they will know about us as a premier league club. Many clubs in the premier league won't have a big name DoF.

If after Wes Edens' comments on getting the data analysis right have any weight, and I think they do, then he will be here to get us where we should be in terms of modern player analysis and identifying talent etc. Attracting high calibre players won't be his bag anyway, a well known and established talent doesn't need much in the way of scouting and analysis do they? They're already well known and proven at the highest level if they're a high calibre player. Trying to hook one of those is more Purslow's bag once Dean has identified what he needs and all 3 agree that this high calibre player will fit the bill, we can afford him and he might come.

I see this as a pretty astute signing if they've felt we're behind the times in our use of data to find players. It might take a little while to bear fruit if when he comes in we're been using old copies of Shoot and a zx81 to unearth players. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

If after Wes Edens' comments on getting the data analysis right have any weight, and I think they do, then he will be here to get us where we should be in terms of modern player analysis and identifying talent etc. Attracting high calibre players won't be his bag anyway, a well known and established talent doesn't need much in the way of scouting and analysis do they? They're already well known and proven at the highest level if they're a high calibre player. Trying to hook one of those is more Purslow's bag once Dean has identified what he needs and all 3 agree that this high calibre player will fit the bill, we can afford him and he might come.

I see this as a pretty astute signing if they've felt we're behind the times in our use of data to find players. It might take a little while to bear fruit if when he comes in we're been using old copies of Shoot and a zx81 to unearth players. 

You can definitely use data for well known players. The point isn't just to find players but also being able to evaluate what they are actually worth and stay clear of people who are overrated. Liverpool is probably the market leader in recruiting based on data analytics, and I have known every single player they have bought in recent years. 

• Like 1

Â