Johan Lange

hippo

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Have no idea who or how good he is but judging from what i have read anout him the plans the same. Get gems in and sell them for handsome profits. Soemthing that suso was suppose to do but failed 

We haven't sold any Suso players to criticise that

2 minutes ago, NPDK said:

Thoughts from a dane on a dane. 

All of this 'he buys cheap and sells for a big profit' chatter needs to be taken into context. Copenhagen runs on a much, much bigger scale than the rest of the danish league. What is considered 'cheap' by english standards is more than 75% of the rest of the league can afford. It doesn't take away from the fact that Copenhagen regularly manages to sell for a profit, though. He's also had his fair shares of stinkers over the years, especially strikers.

It's tough to really know just how much power he has had at Copenhagen with Ståle Solbakken being the manager. Solbakken runs that team, top to bottom and he has final say in everything sporting related. 

He's been a big part of Copenhagens restructure of their academy (they've called it 'School of Excellence') that has seen quite a few players make it to the first team and other places over the past few years. He's a guy that emphasizes the academy, which seems to be something we really, really want to do. He's a good appointment in that regard. 

He also fits Edens' Moneyball approach. Lange is ridiculously data-driven. He loves his data and spreadsheet. 

I saw a few people mention that they hoped he would bring a couple of guys with him. I don't. Frederik Leth (stats guy) would've been interesting, but I have a feeling he's going to take Langes job. I'd take a pass on the rest of that staff. Copenhagens biggest transfer hits have been guys they've played against and later signed. In 2017 they played Champions League qualifying against Zilina from Slovakia. A few weeks later they sign Denis Vavro. They hadn't discovered him if they hadn't played against him. 

I've had the pleasure of meeting Lange a couple of times, nothing in-depth and I won't be an ITK account, but he seems like a good guy. He's a bit arrogant/cocky, but I've also met him where he was really cool and down to earth. I guess he has his days. From what I know and has heard, he can be ruthless. There's been a few Copenhagen players mentioning after they left Copenhagen and they didn't exactly endorse him. 

If you guys I want, I can translate some quotes from him from a couple of great pieces of how he views football and his role within an organisation? I think there might be a podcast as well with/about Lange. I'll check around to see if I can find it. It should help paint a better picture of who he is and how he approaches his tasks.

I'd love to read more about him if you get time to do those translations.

Loved this bit from the press release:

...to strengthen our analytics, sports science, talent recruitment and player development programmes.

I think these things are becoming increasingly important, the analytics and sports data can give you an advantage and in the Premier League with such fine margins it really makes a difference.

As an example, look at the data concerning injuries at Wolves the last few seasons, along with how many games their players miss, they've barely had any injuries and the whole squad is as fit as it gets. They've really gone to town on the sports science, individual diet plans, individual training plans, the works. They reap the benefits of having that by having a small squad and consistent line ups. Some injuries like Wesley's you can't really account for, but you can do your best to avoid them returning by strengthening key muscle areas and continuing to monitor it using a constant influx of data.

It's the way forward.

• Like 1

Expected a quick replacement,  glad to see it happened and that the guy comes from a club that's doing well in respect of what a DoF is ultimately responsible for. Also offers further reassurance that our owners are very different from our recent failures.

I think this appointment works in both the PL and the championship so hopefully was our number 1 choice in either situation. 

Fingers crossed it all works out and we go on to improve every year. 

Frederik Leth is Copenhagen's head of scouting and data analysis, thought he might be coming as well, but they've said on their website that he's going to be helping fill the void left by Lange's departure.

41 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No it was FC Copenhagen - I've edited my earlier post with a link.

We were linked with a club under Xia but FC Copenhagen were linked with Fortress and Edens.

You are absolutely correct. I was thinking of the Xia rumor.

We breeze through owners so fast I have difficulties keeping track at times apparently.

Well spotted.

I have been watching the claret and blue podcast with Alex Mcleish. Mcleish said when he came to Villa they didn't even have a database of potential players to recruit. So that shows that under MON players brought in was entirely down to the manager and scouting reports. That old school approach is well and truly dead in modern football. 

10 minutes ago, sne said:

You are absolutely correct. I was thinking of the Xia rumor.

We breeze through owners so fast I have difficulties keeping track at times apparently.

Well spotted.

Seemingly I spotted if before any of the press :)

To be fair though I had to check, I wasn't certain but it just stuck in my mind for some reason.

I'd actually forgotten the one you referenced... our owners aye...

• Haha 1

Something we could perhaps benefit from right away could be some of the players hes had a hand in Copenhagen purchasing in the past but to then have outgrown the club and moved on for a profit 

11 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I have been watching the claret and blue podcast with Alex Mcleish. Mcleish said when he came to Villa they didn't even have a database of potential players to recruit. So that shows that under MON players brought in was entirely down to the manager and scouting reports. That old school approach is well and truly dead in modern football. 

Yes. The footballing world has passed us by over the past decade. Time to play catch up and quick.

15 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

We barely ever signed players from outside the UK under O'Neill - we just ignored the rest of the world completely. So backward, and such a missed opportunity given how much money we were spending back then (in comparison to most other teams).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

We barely ever signed players from outside the UK under O'Neill - we just ignored the rest of the world completely. So backward, and such a missed opportunity given how much money we were spending back then (in comparison to most other teams).

Sali-Salifou...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Copenhagen currently have nine players in their squad thirty plus, and another three twenty-eight or older, so I don't think we have to worry that this guy has a policy of ignoring experience.

Â