Johan Lange

hippo

Our owners made it clear when they bought the club that they were keen to buy young players, improve them and sell them on. Wes Edens particularly stressed that it was his philosophy with the his basketball team in the US.

They came close to disaster last season by trying to bring developing players into the first team and expecting them to hit the ground running. 

I'm guessing that Johan Lange has been bought in specifically to control the development programme for young prospects from youth through to the first team squad, to change our annual failure to add one or two quality young Villa players to our match day squad.

I don't expect him to replace Suso's job of identifying first team transfer targets. Smith should be given that responsibility during this transfer window as he needs to bring in four or five nailed on starting eleven players that he's sure he can work with, to allow us to move into a more secure mid table area.

Smith doesn't need a scout for this as we all know the relatively small pool containing the players that he will be fishing for. We can even name all the individual players in that small pool. What he absolutely needs is a big enough budget to be able to pay 25/30 million pounds each for those 4/5 players.

Johan Lange's task will probably take two to three seasons to start to affect first team squad input, so until then we will have to depend on buying the right few players who are used to, or have recently adapted to "English" football. We should avoid bringing in players from totally different leagues who may take many months to adjust to our league. Trying to play "foreign money ball" nearly relegated us this season and we must learn from this immediately.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Think that was Lyngby, just outside of Copenhagen.

No it was FC Copenhagen - I've edited my earlier post with a link.

We were linked with a club under Xia but FC Copenhagen were linked with Fortress and Edens.

• Like 1

I do think what’s clear is that:

1) the club will spend big on players when needed but*

2) that is on finding players with promise and resell value

3) we will pivot more towards younger players to fill the academy and supplement the squad now that 5 subs are the norm 

The above will keep us financially stable and most importantly competitive. Our owners are again showing how their ambition is not short-term. And not repeating the mistakes of previous owners in the transfer market. 

Yes, there’s been duds but players find their feet at different times, and averaging less than £10m per signing was going to bring a mix. 

From ownership to management will come more singularity and vision about the types of players needed. 

The owners won’t tolerate survival by the skin of our teeth again and have a clear plan to enact. It won’t be overnight but it will hopefully reap its own rewards soon enough.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Our owners made it clear when they bought the club that they were keen to buy young players, improve them and sell them on. Wes Edens particularly stressed that it was his philosophy with the his basketball team in the US.

They came close to disaster last season by trying to bring developing players into the first team and expecting them to hit the ground running. 

I'm guessing that Johan Lange has been bought in specifically to control the development programme for young prospects from youth through to the first team squad, to change our annual failure to add one or two quality young Villa players to our match day squad.

I don't expect him to replace Suso's job of identifying first team transfer targets. Smith should be given that responsibility during this transfer window as he needs to bring in four or five nailed on starting eleven players that he's sure he can work with, to allow us to move into a more secure mid table area.

Smith doesn't need a scout for this as we all know the relatively small pool containing the players that he will be fishing for. We can even name all the individual players in that small pool. What he absolutely needs is a big enough budget to be able to pay 25/30 million pounds each for those 4/5 players.

Johan Lange's task will probably take two to three seasons to start to affect first team squad input, so until then we will have to depend on buying the right few players who are used to, or have recently adapted to "English" football. We should avoid bringing in players from totally different leagues who may take many months to adjust to our league. Trying to play "foreign money ball" nearly relegated us this season and we must learn from this immediately.

I agree about the plan but not the approach.

I fully expect Lange to have an input in finding players for the future but also in terms of for the 1st team, he isn't coming in as head of youth development.

We recently Mark Harrison and he has been overhauling the youth set up and building his own team of staff, I fully expect Lange to be doing so at senior level and working with or above Harrison.

• Like 3

Didn't Copenhagen sign Okore from us, welcome back Joris 😜

Interesting appointment, hungry and determined and outside the box. Copenhagen are a European overachiever in recent times. 

15 minutes ago, useless said:

It was Xia who was trying to buy Lyngby, Wyness even gave an interview where he was talking about building them a new stadium, a couple of months later we nearly went out of business, so not sure how we were going to manage that.

Edens' was linked with buying Copenhagen in January of last year.

I think they were thinking of relocating Aston Villa to Lyngby😂

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I do think what’s clear is that:

1) the club will spend big on players when needed but*

2) that is on finding players with promise and resell value

3) we will pivot more towards younger players to fill the academy and supplement the squad now that 5 subs are the norm 

The above will keep us financially stable and most importantly competitive. Our owners are again showing how their ambition is not short-term. And not repeating the mistakes of previous owners in the transfer market. 

Yes, there’s been duds but players find their feet at different times, and averaging less than £10m per signing was going to bring a mix. 

From ownership to management will come more singularity and vision about the types of players needed. 

The owners won’t tolerate survival by the skin of our teeth again and have a clear plan to enact. It won’t be overnight but it will hopefully reap its own rewards soon enough.  

Under the impression it won't be decided for 20/21 season until voted on at the Premier league shareholder meeting. Presume it still need the 2/3rds agreement too.

2 hours ago, sne said:

Other players on loan in the Championship include Jan Mlakar, Alex Dobre, Marc Guehi and Izzy Brown.

I've never heard of these guys so they might be fantastic but on the other hand they might not be that much better than some of our academy players?

Never heard of him either but he sounds good!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Seems like a decent appointment, however I hope we aren’t completely going down the route of buying promising players and will mix in some solid experienced players to help us kick in. Otherwise we’ll find ourselves in a similar situation to the season just gone.

The dude seems like a bit of an operator but more than an element of risk to this appointment imo.

Hope he's not averse to signing a couple of not so exciting veterans with plenty of PL know how in addition to his usual targets.

Either way - welcome Johan!

• Like 1

Have no idea who or how good he is but judging from what i have read anout him the plans the same. Get gems in and sell them for handsome profits. Soemthing that suso was suppose to do but failed 

Â