Jump to content

Johan Lange - Sporting Director


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, weedman said:

It's not that tricky though, I can tell you now, unless he demonstrates a major turnaround in his managerial style, Sean Dyche will never get the Man City job or Barcelona job even if he wins the Champions League with Burnley, because his style does not suit those teams. In the same way Jose Mourinho will never get jobs managing those teams 

Managerial style isn't just telling the players to play a certain way, it affects every aspect of game management, recruitment, training etc. Sean Dyche has been at Burnley a long time and signed a lot of players, he's never shown any interest in playing any kind of passing football. He plays direct. He trains players to play that way and signs players that can play that way. No club is hiring him to emulate Pep Guardiola. Same with the likes of Warnock or Bruce, they are what they are, if that's what you want great, if not you hire someone else 

But Warnock  &  Dyche are good at making the most of the resources they have - they generally don't have the budgets of Man City etc.

Man city don't need a manager who is good the pennies....and I'm sure they could work that out without a DOF.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
8 minutes ago, Villastine said:

The role is about much more than this.

It's about ensuring the club is focusing on recruiting and developing players that are technically good and also tactically astute.

It's a long term project and needs be overseen by someone who's not immediately judged by results on the pitch.

Managers have to focus on the short term and some tension between the 2 should be expected.

and what about being physically adept and powerfully strong and athletic.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, TRO said:

We have 2 already.....but nothing wrong with the suggestion.

Our best Player is English, that might be a way to go.

its not what country they come from, its can they do a job.

I get the point, the portuguese breed good technical players.....but what about the Centre Backs, full backs CDM's....they need to have a different outlook.

we can't sign a team of ball players and expect a team.....other qualities need to be sought too.

There is nearly 430 million people on South America compared to 65 in the UK. Much bigger pool to be scouting from. If we can get access to that market that much easier and the ability to easily get our youth players into a competitive footballing league it makes the purchase of the club entirely worth it.

The biggest weakness of our academy is that our players get no experience playing against grown men. Being able to get that whilst bedding in Brazilians and Portuguese in a place where they already speak the language and can learn English over time and through interaction with our youth players is virtually priceless. If we could get the next Neymar or Ronaldo or Bernard Silva or Fernandes through this purchase it would instantly be worth it many times over. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TRO said:

and what about being physically adept and powerfully strong and athletic.

Well that's obviously also part of it. You kinda have to be that to be able to perform at top level.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
10 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

There is nearly 430 million people on South America compared to 65 in the UK. Much bigger pool to be scouting from. If we can get access to that market that much easier and the ability to easily get our youth players into a competitive footballing league it makes the purchase of the club entirely worth it.

The biggest weakness of our academy is that our players get no experience playing against grown men. Being able to get that whilst bedding in Brazilians and Portuguese in a place where they already speak the language and can learn English over time and through interaction with our youth players is virtually priceless. If we could get the next Neymar or Ronaldo or Bernard Silva or Fernandes through this purchase it would instantly be worth it many times over. 

what about defenders?....do they get a mention? lol

Edited by TRO
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
17 minutes ago, sne said:

Well that's obviously also part of it. You kinda have to be that to be able to perform at top level.

you have to be able to pass too....

so its a given, is that what you are saying?

you see, I think its essential....and in many cases overlooked or underplayed.

since lockdown, I think our physicality has improved and focused on.

Edited by TRO
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

There is nearly 430 million people on South America compared to 65 in the UK. Much bigger pool to be scouting from. If we can get access to that market that much easier and the ability to easily get our youth players into a competitive footballing league it makes the purchase of the club entirely worth it.

The biggest weakness of our academy is that our players get no experience playing against grown men. Being able to get that whilst bedding in Brazilians and Portuguese in a place where they already speak the language and can learn English over time and through interaction with our youth players is virtually priceless. If we could get the next Neymar or Ronaldo or Bernard Silva or Fernandes through this purchase it would instantly be worth it many times over. 

The 'problem' with the academy is that we are preparing players to play in the toughest league in the world.

So tough that a lot of the best players in the world are playing in it.

The idea that the academy can consistently un earth some of the best players in the world is a non starter for me. You get the odd one now and then. You might also get some that command a decent fee now and then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TRO said:

what about defenders?....do they get a mention? lol

These foreign defenders are quite good. Dont think any rugged manly British centre defenders get into a top team

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TRO said:

so its a given, is that what you are saying?

you see, I think its essential....and in many cases overlooked or underplayed.

since lockdown, I think our physicality has improved.

I think it's down to the overall intensity being much lower after the restart. We had something to play for, a lot of other teams did not, and a lot of players were in less than 100% shape or even on the beach.

Edit: and I think that's a given that those things also come into the overall picture with what the club and DOF considers and works with. Along with the technical parts and so on. It's not a one or the other.

Edited by sne
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
1 minute ago, sne said:

I think it's down to the overall intensity being much lower after the restart. We had something to play for, a lot of other teams did not, and a lot of players were in less than 100% shape or even on the beach.

West Ham Conceded 16 fouls against our 11.....and they said they were on the beach.....with a superior possession Stat

Arsenal conceded 4 yellows against our 2 and they said the same about them.

I think they all wanted to win.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TRO said:

West Ham Conceded 16 fouls against our 11.....and they said they were on the beach.....with a superior possession Stat

Arsenal conceded 4 yellows against our 2 and they said the same about them.

I think they all wanted to win.

 

You don't think we were more motivated? Fair enough, I disagree.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
7 minutes ago, sne said:

You don't think we were more motivated? Fair enough, I disagree.

I didn't say that.

well the stats don't lie.

Arsenal were very physical with us too, but we dealt with it, for once.....not saying we wasn't motivated......just saying the opposition was not on the beach and the stats went some way to highlighting that.

better get back on topic.

Edited by TRO
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Was comical what happened at Spurs. 2008 they sold Defoe, Robbie Keane and Berbatov within six months and replaced them with Pavlychenko, Frazer Campbell and Giovanni Dos Santos. And David Bentley. 2 points from 8 games later.....

At Liverpool I assume he was there when they decided to replace Suarez with Rickie Lambert, Balotelli and Lazar Markovic that summer.

It's interesting with DOFs though. A few years back Graham Carr at Newcastle was getting hyped up because he signed likes of Cabaye from France. Then a year later they got in a poorer selection of French players, he left and hasn't been heard of much since. Same with whoever at Leicester got in Kante, then got poached by Everton and then signed a whole load of s*** for them in summer 2017. Often seems a flavour of the month position to me.

I'd personally look at the scout at Celtic who found them Van Dijk, Wanyama, Dembele, Edouard and Nitcham in last decade. Think he left a few years ago.

John Park! He has been a vital part of my fm scouting team 😂.

He had been linked with Sunderland a year or two back but nothing ever materialized. Would definitely be a very good addition to our recruitment staff. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TRO said:

what about defenders?....do they get a mention? lol

The Portugal and Brazil national team are some of the tightest defences around. 

The Brazilian top league was surprisingly lacking in goals when I bothered to look into betting on games a while back. I'm talking like most games with 1 or 2 goals tops. 

Maybe we'll find the next Ederson, Thiago Silva, Pepe, Marquinhos, Alex Sandro, Eder Militao, Raphael Guerreiro, Nelson Semedo, Joao Cancelo, Recardo Pereira etc. 

Whatever the league, standard, nationality, attackers will be mentioned more as they usually are the ones who change games with goals or assists. 

We can milk foreign defenders too. England doesn't have a monopoly on ugly sods willing to put their body on the line. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wezbid said:

The Portugal and Brazil national team are some of the tightest defences around. 

The Brazilian top league was surprisingly lacking in goals when I bothered to look into betting on games a while back. I'm talking like most games with 1 or 2 goals tops. 

Maybe we'll find the next Ederson, Thiago Silva, Pepe, Marquinhos, Alex Sandro, Eder Militao, Raphael Guerreiro, Nelson Semedo, Joao Cancelo, Recardo Pereira etc. 

Whatever the league, standard, nationality, attackers will be mentioned more as they usually are the ones who change games with goals or assists. 

We can milk foreign defenders too. England doesn't have a monopoly on ugly sods willing to put their body on the line. 

The Brazilian and Argentinian leagues are some of the toughest most brutal leagues around and has been for decades. On the highlight reels they will show you the Robinho's Neymar's, Denilsons and Everton's with their flamboyant oversteps and tricks but watch a couple of games and it's absolute carnage. It's much rougher than anything you'd get away with here these days.

It might have changed in the last 3-4 years thou since I've only watched the odd game in recent years but they used to show the Brazilian league on Swedish pay TV at night so I used to watch it quite a lot.

There is quite a lot of really good defenders coming out of Brazil atm and they wont be "too soft" for English football. Their league is a bit of a mess financially thou with even some of the big clubs in trouble. Think FC Barcelona but run by Pablo Escobar or Bernard Madoff :D 

Edited by sne
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hippo said:

The 'problem' with the academy is that we are preparing players to play in the toughest league in the world.

So tough that a lot of the best players in the world are playing in it.

The idea that the academy can consistently un earth some of the best players in the world is a non starter for me. You get the odd one now and then. You might also get some that command a decent fee now and then.

Why did none of our youth players come through in the championship then? Only green and Davis and thet haven't exactly lit the world on fire. Players need to play to develop and we simply haven't been giving them the opportunity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Why did none of our youth players come through in the championship then? Only green and Davis and thet haven't exactly lit the world on fire. Players need to play to develop and we simply haven't been giving them the opportunity. 

I take it you mean apart from Grealish :) 

I would have thought the reason pretty obvious - none of them were deemed good enough - not sure of your point ? 

 

Edited by hippo
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hippo said:

I take it you mean apart from Grealish :) 

I would have thought the reason pretty obvious - none of them were deemed good enough - not sure of your point ? 

 

Grealish came through in the prem. The rest of our youth players should have been out on loan getting experience playing grown men. We waited until half of them were in the last year of their contracts until we loaned them it was a waste of talent and we just released them instead of selling them to lower league teams. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Grealish came through in the prem. The rest of our youth players should have been out on loan getting experience playing grown men. We waited until half of them were in the last year of their contracts until we loaned them it was a waste of talent and we just released them instead of selling them to lower league teams. 

OK - of course he did. what I meant was he was a villa youth product playing in the championship - but I think you already knew that.

Not really sure who you were expecting a fee for ? - Green and O'Hare, Sarkic, Doyle-Hayes, Sulliman    did go out on loan ? - but basically if you aren't cutting it in league one - or even if you are any fee received is going to be nominal ? 

Also there has got to be a club willing to take players on loan.

We seem to be meandering all over the place here. My general point is I would only expect the academy to produce a couple of players to cut it at first team level at any one time - whats the point you are trying to make ?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • limpid changed the title to Johan Lange - Sporting Director
  • TrentVilla locked this topic
  • TrentVilla unlocked this topic
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â