Johan Lange

hippo

People keep saying that we need an SD to ensure that the playing style is consistent across the different levels in the club. I don't see why that's such a big ask - Deano gets the reserves/u-18, etc. coaches in and says "Look - you've seen how I set up the first team- attacking fullbacks, holding midfielder, lone striker, possession, counterattack, blah, blah, blah... Just make sure your kids learn it that way. I'll be checking in from time to time". End of. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

People keep saying that we need an SD to ensure that the playing style is consistent across the different levels in the club. I don't see why that's such a big ask - Deano gets the reserves/u-18, etc. coaches in and says "Look - you've seen how I set up the first team- attacking fullbacks, holding midfielder, lone striker, possession, counterattack, blah, blah, blah... Just make sure your kids learn it that way. I'll be checking in from time to time". End of. 

It's probably something that to a degree happens anyway. I think it's just something that sounds good (like a 5 year plan)

You could also argue that if a young player is with us from a young age - he should learn to play in multiple systems/styles/formations.

A few years back the guy who coached my lads team reckoned the latest continental approach to football was that very young players should even have a favoured position in the early years.

10 minutes ago, sne said:

And then Smith is sacked or get a better offer and we start from scratch again with a new head coach and staff.

We need to be moving away from a hard reset every time we change manager, and I'm glad we have.

It is likely that Smith is not here in say 5 years (likely before that) it's just how football is now. 

Well weve sacked Suso - !  Does that count as a soft reset ?

If results are poor early next season and Smith gets the boot - that means the SD and head coach will have changed.......and most likely we actually want the next bloke to change things....

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

If results are poor early next season and Smith gets the boot - that means the SD and head coach will have changed.......and most likely we actually want the next bloke to change things....

We are still very much a work in progress here, early days, there will be changes before we settle on the people we feel can do the job in the way we want it.

Would have been unheard of if the got it 100% the first time with personnel. 

The DOF is there to (among other things) make sure the clubs moves in the same direction regarding football matters. He is not the one scouting, picking the formation or the starting 11 and so on. But there should be a cohesion and the guys the club bring in should have at least some common ground.

Going from RDM whatever he was to Bruce to Smith and then as some suggested Dyche would have made it pretty difficult in regards to player recruitment. There needs to be at least some semblance of a style.

All IMO

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

Nobody knows if this is true! 

Just when I think I know about football I come here to find 10 pages of intense speculation and suggestions about a new sporting director. I can't wait for the new season when I can get back to what I know best, complaining about VAR

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, sne said:

We are still very much a work in progress here, early days, there will be changes before we settle on the people we feel can do the job in the way we want it.

Would have been unheard of if the got it 100% the first time with personnel. 

The DOF is there to (among other things) make sure the clubs moves in the same direction regarding football matters. He is not the one scouting, picking the formation or the starting 11 and so on. But there should be a cohesion and the guys the club bring in should have at least some common ground.

Going from RDM whatever he was to Bruce to Smith and then as some suggested Dyche would have made it pretty difficult in regards to player recruitment. There needs to be at least some semblance of a style.

All IMO

Ok.

Personally if the club feels the need to sack the head coach - then I would suggest a change direction is what is intended. And if results are poor enough to sack the head coach again imo - I wouldn't want his assistant s sticking around.

The exception might be if the head coach was doing so well that Barca / Inter wanted him , then yeah maybe some continuity in that unlikely set of circumstances.

The key with all this imo is to aim higher with managerial coaching appointment s in the first place.

Garde/RDM/Sherwood etc ...it's a wonder we aren't a lot worse off than we are.

Wonder if the story linking Sawiris to buying a stake in Victoria Guimares has anything to do with Villa?

Would like to think it's part of long term strategy, which includes a feeder club in Portugal!

Probably unlikely that we have that level of strategy!

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Ok.

Personally if the club feels the need to sack the head coach - then I would suggest a change direction is what is intended. And if results are poor enough to sack the head coach again imo - I wouldn't want his assistant s sticking around.

The exception might be if the head coach was doing so well that Barca / Inter wanted him , then yeah maybe some continuity in that unlikely set of circumstances.

The key with all this imo is to aim higher with managerial coaching appointment s in the first place.

Garde/RDM/Sherwood etc ...it's a wonder we aren't a lot worse off than we are.

Yeah, sure. Doesn't really change to job of the DOF thou.

James Nursey said that Sawiris is buying a stake in Vitoria to try and emulate the relationship that Man City have with Girona. Not that Nursey is very reliable, but in this case there's probably a good chance that he has the right idea, City loan a lot of their young players for Girona for experience and also to Girona's B team who play in the lower leagues of Spain, Vitoria also have a B team that play in the lower leagues of Portugal, if something comes of it might be a good chance for our youngsters to get some experience at an higher level than U23 football, either with the senior side if they're deemed ready or good enough with the B side.

Not sure if it has anything to do with who Suso's replacement is going to be though.

• Like 2

Off topic but I think the Bruno Lage to replace Smith was either somewhat  true or they got confused as he is Now lined up to manage ...You guesses it  vitoria SC ... probs until Smith gets the boot.

Back on topic If you put the pieces together regarding Suso’s departure then I reckon his replacement would be fully lined up and may be on notice/garden leave or is already briefed and working on targets before their official appointment is announced. No way we would put ourselves at a disadvantage by not having a plan in place. 

1 hour ago, useless said:

James Nursey said that Sawiris is buying a stake in Vitoria to try and emulate the relationship that Man City have with Girona. Not that Nursey is very reliable, but in this case there's probably a good chance that he has the right idea, City loan a lot of their young players for Girona for experience and also to Girona's B team who play in the lower leagues of Spain, Vitoria also have a B team that play in the lower leagues of Portugal, if something comes of it might be a good chance for our youngsters to get some experience at an higher level than U23 football, either with the senior side if they're deemed ready or good enough with the B side.

Not sure if it has anything to do with who Suso's replacement is going to be though.

Is it just a coincidence that Easah Suliman went there? 

Delighted to see him starting a few games for them. Thought it was a good move for the lad.

But now wondering if there was already some form of link!?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Villastine said:

Is it just a coincidence that Easah Suliman went there? 

Delighted to see him starting a few games for them. Thought it was a good move for the lad.

But now wondering if there was already some form of link!?

He'll be back with us in 3 years and be a world class centre half and we'll all start to see SGC for what he is - a bloody genius!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Off topic but I think the Bruno Lage to replace Smith was either somewhat  true or they got confused as he is Now lined up to manage ...You guesses it  vitoria SC ... probs until Smith gets the boot.

Back on topic If you put the pieces together regarding Suso’s departure then I reckon his replacement would be fully lined up and may be on notice/garden leave or is already briefed and working on targets before their official appointment is announced. No way we would put ourselves at a disadvantage by not having a plan in place. 

Tiago, the former Chelsea midfielder, got the job earlier today. 

• Thanks 2

Interesting thing on the Suso's appointment, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Suso already in place working for the club in role for a while before he was announced?

5 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

There is always a possibility of mitigating circumstance arising. If we sign a new wonderful £50m striker and he breaks his leg two games in, then that clearly isn’t something that the manager can do anything about. Ok he’d have to try to find a way around it but it would be a huge slice of bad luck. 

I get your general point though, we can’t make excuses for him forever. Next season Dean and the first team need to show genuine progress throughout the season and not just at the end. 

Is my point.

Injuries are never a good stick to hit a manager with, although we know they happen.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, useless said:

I think people are thinking of the Sporting Director too much in terms of recruitment, there will be a lot more to the job than just recruitment. We actually have an 'Head of Recruitment' and will also have scouts who's job it will be to spot players. A Sporting Director will be in charge of things like deciding how the club wants to play and charging the scouts with finding players to suit that system and also finding coaches  that can implement that style and making sure that the youth teams also play in the same way. If you look into what someone like Ralf Rangnick does with Red Bull there's a lot more to it than just spotting players, same with Brentford and what they're doing.

really, that should be the managers job, for me.....He sets the scene and the other teams follow, in order to integrate in to the managers philosophy, so they are ready for the first team.

wow, I really am old fashioned.

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I share the same opinion.

The other thing which gets me thinking.....there is no hard and fast rule to say which style brings success.....the way you play can be dictated to, by the players you have and vice versa.

The idea of a club style to ensure if a manager leaves it can be continued is just an opinion or a way to go ,by folk who choose that way.....not necessarily the right way......as an example , if a top class manager was available, with a huge pedigree, but didn't play "our way" would we avoid him?....if we was in the market for a manager.

Football is such a moving feast, so many factors changing all the time, people coming and going, it's hard to set some things in tablets of stone......most styles in the Prem vary from club to club.

I think the football manager has to set the tone and style and the subordinate teams comply to his philosophy.

Â