Johan Lange

hippo

Sure I read somewhere we had two lists again, one for PL one for Championship, we have other scouts on the books, it's not like we can't complete a signing without an SD, we absolutely can.

However, any SD coming in would like to have some input to in the summers activity you'd think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Sure I read somewhere we had two lists again, one for PL one for Championship, we have other scouts on the books, it's not like we can't complete a signing without an SD, we absolutely can.

However, any SD coming in would like to have some input to in the summers activity you'd think.

but unless he has been kept under wraps- and has already been watching us, I think it might be too late for him to have an impact this window already.  He has to come in - see where the gaps are - see who smith wants, settle in himself.

Maybe our signings this summer are going to be more predictable, Sarr, Behrama, Billings, Wilson,  etc - as you say we don't need an SD to sign players.

The one thing I don't really like about sporting directors or directors of football is that it's hard to know where the accountability lies and who did what.  I guess as long as those running the club know and make the right decisions then that's what matters.  I suspect whoever takes over from Suso will have a far easier job than he did, possibly having over £100m to spend on a few class players rather than buying an entire new squad.

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

but unless he has been kept under wraps- and has already been watching us, I think it might be too late for him to have an impact this window already.  He has to come in - see where the gaps are - see who smith wants, settle in himself.

Maybe our signings this summer are going to be more predictable, Sarr, Behrama, Billings, Wilson,  etc - as you say we don't need an SD to sign players.

I think the person coming in can have an opinion on a player, can run down our list and flag up names he maybe knows more about, I think they can advise on the strategy we are going to implement, it's all input just not the final say as it were.

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I think the person coming in can have an opinion on a player, can run down our list and flag up names he maybe knows more about, I think they can advise on the strategy we are going to implement, it's all input just not the final say as it were.

True - Im sure Susso didn't keep all in his head. We might say here is the list get them over the line 

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I can't remember Balague being correct about anything ever.

Don't understand this bit.

"Smith and Suso have received media criticism for passing on interesting information that protects Purslow. Difficult to work in these conditions. Suso has preferred not to continue despite having one more year of contract, and he told the owners a while ago."

The translation is slightly off I think. The tweet doesn't imply that Smith and Suso passed on the information, but rather that information was leaked which protected Purslow and led to criticism for Smith and Suso in the media.  That's my reading of it anyhow.  

• Like 2

Harsh on Suso I feel. However, we could've got better for the money, no doubt. They needed a fall guy and they got one. Smith was still heavily involved in the transfers and went to scout some of these players with Suso. 

We just need to act quickly as I don't want to play catch up on transfers this summer. 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

If we signed Drinkwater over Nzonzi then that is crazy. 

It might be a translation thing - he couldn't have been 'signing' Nzonzi.

He might have been talking to him, and being told to **** off. I've had many "conversations" like that.

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Harsh on Suso I feel. However, we could've got better for the money, no doubt. They needed a fall guy and they got one. Smith was still heavily involved in the transfers and went to scout some of these players with Suso. 

We just need to act quickly as I don't want to play catch up on transfers this summer. 

Hopefully we will act very quickly. For sure the poor signings can't all be down to Suso. Drinkwater was undoubtedly a Smith/Terry engineered move. Likewise Jota, albeit being brought in as a squad man was obviously a Smith buy and found himself very out of his depth at PL level. 

Hopefully the club and Deano have learnt some lessons from this season. 

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

I agree - not sure someone could come in and within 3 or 4 weeks be up to speed on everything and be an integral part of a plan. 

I don't think this would be a bad year for us to go down the predictable route - 3 or 4 big signings that are 'known'. Yes, we may overpay compared to some obscure European gems but in the grand scheme of things we're hopefully building a structure that means in two or three seasons that will be a thing of the past.

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

There is no doubt in my mind that drinkwater was a smith signing though

I don’t really understand this thinking? Also widely and reliably reported we failed in attempts for Giroud, Batshuayi and Slimani. Who’s ‘signing’s’ were those? 

These decisions are made as a team, surely. Seems pretty petty to start dissecting each and every transfer to fit a particular narrative or agenda. We win as a team we lose as a team.
Suso wasn’t retained. The club clearly feel they want to go in a different direction with a technical director. So be it.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

There is no doubt in my mind that drinkwater was a smith signing though

why?

if he was a smith signing then why doesn't he ever make the squad? there's nothing post lockdown to suggest smith wanted anything to do with him

We've took so many steps backwards over the last ten years, it feels like the next crucial scenario is only round the corner constantly.

We've just, somehow, pulled off back to back miracles in promotion and survival, and we've already got this crucial appointment ahead of us.

I'm not 100% set on Smith, but it looks like he's staying on. This appointment must be right.

35 points won't keep us up next season.

Â