Johan Lange

hippo

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Is there really a need for one?

I mean what are scouts for in the first place?

FM might be a bad place source of reference here but if it works in there like it does in real life, I'd imagine that the scouts all have specific jobs and report their findings to the sporting director. The sporting director then, is the one who makes the final decision on transfers, after taking into account all the scouting reports.

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

FM might be a bad place source of reference here but if it works in there like it does in real life, I'd imagine that the scouts all have specific jobs and report their findings to the sporting director. The sporting director then, is the one who makes the final decision on transfers, after taking into account all the scouting reports.

Sounds like a 20% job to me rising to 60% during the transfer window. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sne said:

But we've only known for a day or so which division we'd be playing in. I imagine this effects the caliber of person we'd be able to bring in.

Good point. Hopefully they had a list 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

Sounds like a 20% job to me rising to 60% during the transfer window. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I would think the sporting director deals with more than just incoming transfers though. Sporting Director sounds like a job that would cover a more wide range of things than just solely be on transfers, just on the name.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

Seems his contract ran out and after a bust up with Purslow it's only going to end one way.

In the Villa post it states he helped to restructure the academy, so his job was wider ranging than just transfers, if that job is now done maybe we need a different kind of sporting director? Maybe one more focused on the scouting side of things? Maybe more focused on the sports science side of things? Who knows, will be interesting to see who they bring in and what the job title will be though!

• Like 1

Is it not as simple as needing to see which league we'd be in? Surely we can get a better level of candidates in the prem, with a foundation to start from and a big budget - Vs offering a complete restructure again in the Championship? I mean, maybe he'd have carried on another year if we dropped, purely for stability. 

Edited by Jareth

2 hours ago, sne said:

Luis Campos at Lille (formerly Monaco) is also a interesting name.

when of Monaco?

Maybe interesting given that Monaco are once again having a fire sale and some of the players he took there would be available

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

when of Monaco?

Maybe interesting given that Monaco are once again having a fire sale and some of the players he took there would be available

2013-2016

That first fire sale was due to changed tax rules and the divorce of the Russian owner who lost a couple billions.

He brought in  Radamel Falcao, João Moutinho, James Rodríguez, Fabinho, Anthony Martial, Ricardo Carvalho, Dimitar Berbatov, Bernardo Silva, Tiémoué Bakayoko, Geoffrey Kondogbia, and Thomas Lemar 

And M'bappé I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Ashworth won’t be leaving Brighton, they are a team that have an incredible infrastructure in place and I imagine will go on to become a top top side in the next few years.

Really? I'm currious, any links to anything on this re Brighton? I mean they are a well run club but I struggle to believe they've anything we couldn't replicate or better. I certainly don't see them going on to be a top side.

I've no idea if we could poach Ashworth or not but I'm struggling to view Brighton as being the club you describe above.

• Like 2

Does anyone know how many analysts types we have at the club? The game seems to or already shifted towards that with all this xg stuff. I think we should try and get ahead of the game in that department. 

The sense I got from Suso was get in touch with some agents and hope it sticks. Maybe we can buy one of those companies who do these metrics?

13 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Exactly my sentiments. It also makes the position of head coach modular. A vitally important component, but a component nonetheless.  In this way, if a head coach or 'manager' departs it does not become a complete catastrophe for the club.

It also means that the general style of play stays just the manager/coach would just fit in.

1 hour ago, sne said:

But we've only known for a day or so which division we'd be playing in. I imagine this effects the caliber of person we'd be able to bring in.

But if they didn't learn anything from last season about preparing two plans what effing hope do we have.  They knew his contract was ending. They probably knew they weren't going to renew it. Its a simple task to look at two eventualities and come up with two lists of what they want depending on the league we're in.  Absolutely not saying they haven't done this,  I doubt they'd be where they are in business if they didn't know about planning ahead, but I really don't think this matters.

I expect to see a like for like replacement soon, or a change in direction if that's what their plan is.

Edited by MrBlack
typo

29 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Exactly my sentiments. It also makes the position of head coach modular. A vitally important component, but a component nonetheless.  In this way, if a head coach or 'manager' departs it does not become a complete catastrophe for the club.

Absolutely agree

Webber would have been at Liverpool same time as Purslow in 2009 and also Emelano from his time at Chelsea so cannot see past those two names. Would love Rangnick & Ashworth and basically that’s my sporting director knowledge over ...

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2

Â