Jump to content
hippo

Johan Lange - Sporting Director

Recommended Posts

IMO this decision was made some weeks ago - but was kept quiet to keep stability in a crucial time for the club.

I actually think his replacement might be a good while away and maybe lower profile than Susso was. Whatever the new guys job title I think the new guy will be more in the chief scout role rather than DOF.

I am not up to speed on potential replacements - Dan Ashworth is the only one I really know - could we poach yet another guy from WBA , or maybe Brentford. ?

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hippo said:

IMO this decision was made some weeks ago - but was kept quiet to keep stability in a crucial time for the club.

I actually think his replacement might be a good while away and maybe lower profile than Susso was. Whatever the new guys job title I think the new guy will be more in the chief scout role rather than DOF.

I am not up to speed on potential replacements - Dan Ashworth is the only one I really know - could we poach yet another guy from WBA , or maybe Brentford. ?

  

How many staff have we poached from WBA,  3? It would be funny if we poach another 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ashworth won’t be leaving Brighton, they are a team that have an incredible infrastructure in place and I imagine will go on to become a top top side in the next few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emenalo and Rangnick has been mentioned (by us fans) 

Luis Campos at Lille (formerly Monaco) is also a interesting name.

Edited by sne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I think Smith and scouting team will have a list of targets  (Players) and getting these over the line will be the priority for the club.  Even if if the new guy starts this week he has got to look / asses what we have. I think he might come in towards the end of the window. 

Id love to see and old player get the role - but can't think of an obvious contender.

Would Roy Hodgson come into the frame should he part company with Crystal Palace ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is already a done deal likely to be announced this week.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there really a need for one?

I mean what are scouts for in the first place?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

I think it is already a done deal likely to be announced this week.

Who knows ?- my thoughts are we will move away from the sporting director/ DOF  model - even if he is called that I don't think it will be a like for like replacement.

If its a direct replacement - with same duties and responsibilities than as you say he needs to be in post quickly and has hopefully already being doing some preliminary work in advance of formal announcement.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Is there really a need for one?

I mean what are scouts for in the first place?

Thats my thoughts.

The often quoted rationale is that when a manager/head coach leaves the club undergoes less of an upheaval with a DOF or sporting director in place. It makes sense if the club is doing well when the manager leaves - but if you sack the manager due to poor results IMO you want a change of approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I mentioned the Norwich dude a few weeks back , Stuart Webber 

Got a pretty good track record at finding some gems  , even involved in getting Sterling to Liverpool and more recently Buendia to Norwich  , seems pretyt shrewd as well  , the negations for buendia started badly, so he walked away as his instinct told him the club were desperate for a deal  , he was right    ....

Everything you read about him seems rather impressive  , imo he'd definitely be worth a look ,

Good shout - they seem to have some good young players as well. You get the feeling Norwich would fight like crazy to keep him though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

I think it is already a done deal likely to be announced this week.

I'm inclined to agree with you.

@hippo mentions he thinks it is some weeks off but I simply can't see this being the case.

The season is not too far off and after the lessons we have learned over the past season I really can't see the board being negligent with such an important function of the club at such a crucial time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Is there really a need for one?

I mean what are scouts for in the first place?

Not going to pretend to know, however scouts I assume are simply that, SCOUTS.

The Sporting Directors I would think have a wide role, and organising and hiring the scouts in the first place, you would think is just ONE of those remits.

They are as described the "Sporting Director", meaning they are in charge of making sure every facet of the club on the "Sporting" side functions as seamlessly and efficiently as possible IMO.

Got no clue if they also get involved in negotiations or if that would fall to Purslow etc though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interestingly, the AVFC Official Instagram just posted out that Suso's contract had actually expired and they've essentially opted not to renew it...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Interestingly, the AVFC Official Instagram just posted out that Suso's contract had actually expired and they've essentially opted not to renew it...

It the same as sacking someone. Only difference being you don't have to pay compensation. Who knows? Perhaps it was Suso decision?

I won't pretend to know anything about who will replace him, I just hope we are moving quick as most summers are quick, this one will be gone in a flash. Recruitment needed now! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm inclined to agree with you.

@hippo mentions he thinks it is some weeks off but I simply can't see this being the case.

The season is not too far off and after the lessons we have learned over the past season I really can't see the board being negligent with such an important function of the club at such a crucial time.

I'm wondering if they are downgrading the significance of the sporting director. Distributing the roles amongst existing members of staff. Therefore less urgency to get a "replacement" in post.

And a lower profile appointment will follow in due course.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What exactly does a sporting director do? Can't only be transfers, can it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LxYoungAVFC said:

What exactly does a sporting director do? Can't only be transfers, can it?

I think that's maybe the question that arose at boardroom level - and in my opinion are looking at tweaking the roles of existing staff rather than a direct susso replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have known for a while he needed replacing, i.e. not weeks, but months, so I'd be disappointed if we didn't bring someone in right away considering the work that needs to be done and the time it needs to be done in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We have known for a while he needed replacing, i.e. not weeks, but months, so I'd be disappointed if we didn't bring someone in right away considering the work that needs to be done and the time it needs to be done in. 

But we've only known for a day or so which division we'd be playing in. I imagine this effects the caliber of person we'd be able to bring in.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â