Summer Goners 2020

maqroll

4 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

We should only be getting rid of players who have not featured or where they are simply not good enough.

Hogan, Nyland, Kalinic, Bree, Taylor, Lansbury, Chester, Jota, Baston, Drinkwater, possibly Taylor.

Samata and Davis loan out to Championship clubs, see how they perform. Both need game time and I would not write them off yet 

We need quality additions to the first team for players like AEG, Trez, Targett, Wesley to fight for their places against.

Sign Reina for a year, Keep Steer (both as backups to Heaton). We need a permanent signing of a top class striker, perhaps loan another for six months to cover Wesley's injury/bring him back slowly, at least 1 top winger, RB and LB, maybe another CB if Engels is beyond redemption.

All our signings now need to be top class first team players.

I agree pretty much with all of that, other than I would only loan out Bree and not sell him just yet. He has been performing to a good level albeit at a lower standard, is versatile and I think he still has the potential to develop into a solid Premier League player. Vassilev another to go out on loan.

I don't particularly rate Reina and think his best days are well behind him, but I wouldn't be adverse to keeping him as third-choice and around the squad because he is a winner and looks be popular amongst the dressing room - I mean, I woke up and was dancing to La La Bamba at 7 this morning. 🤪 

As many others have alluded to, we don't need wholesale changes we just need to add real quality - It's all about increasing the quality and competition by strengthening our first eleven then it filters down the squad.

• Haha 1

People who think Samatta is going out on loan are in crazy land.  They've only just brought and while yes he hasnt looked good since lockdown there are only two options (I think mainly due to his visa) are either he stays in the squad or is sold.  Given we've only just brought him and hence I think they would've evaluated him over time before buying, they will not be moving him out after six months which included 3 months of pandemic lockdown.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

People who think Samatta is going out on loan are in crazy land.  They've only just brought and while yes he hasnt looked good since lockdown there are only two options (I think mainly due to his visa) are either he stays in the squad or is sold.  Given we've only just brought him and hence I think they would've evaluated him over time before buying, they will not be moving him out after six months which included 3 months of pandemic lockdown.

Our worst shortcoming this season was goalscoring by the attackers. Do we continue with the same bunch?

25 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

Our left back spot is quite problematic and if we were to strengthen there, it might be better to sell Targett, buy a better replacement and keep Taylor as a backup since he has probably the most Premier League experience of all our players (maybe barring Heaton?).

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to get rid of Targett. He's behind only Robertson and Digne in terms of chances created, and for the most part has been good defensively IMO (he's had it very tough back there). Great signing.

13 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

1. Nakamba

2. Samatta

3. Jota

4. Lansbury

5. Hause

6. Nyland

7. El-Ghazi

I'd get rid of El Ghazi before any of them. Take away ability. He has an absolute fanny. The day he went off against Southampton I knew he wasnt up for it. Get rid. Dont want these types at the club. Body language is an utter embarrassment.

11 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

1. Nakamba

2. Samatta

3. Jota

4. Lansbury

5. Hause

6. Nyland

7. El-Ghazi

I'd keep El Ghazi. There's still potential there. 4 goals and 4 assists. If he can convert some of those sitters and if we had a decent striker that will attack crosses he would have alot more assists.  Definitely worth keeping him rather than needing to spend another £10m for a squad player. 

I'd sell Trez as his stocks are high atm. Bring in 2 wingers and Eze that can play as a CM or winger. 

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Let's be honest. If was bought as a stop gap to keep us up. He is not the future and was never intended to be. I predict and hope we will be dropping 20m + a piece on 2 new strikers.

Samatta we will take the hit and loan him out and recoup a fee if he does well elsewhere.

10 years ago hes a 2m punt. He's an Helenius. A Tonev. A Harewood.

It's only inflation that makes people think he is a big signing.

10 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Let's be honest. If was bought as a stop gap to keep us up.

I don’t think he was....he’s not a stop gap type of striker.  Experience, Visa and style of play suggests this is not the case.

13 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

predict and hope we will be dropping 20m + a piece on 2 new strikers.

I think that would be a waste, we need to go big on one top class striker otherwise we’ll just get the same as what we got at 20m a piece, which is pointless.

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Samatta we will take the hit and loan him out and recoup a fee if he does well elsewhere.

He can’t be loaned to English clubs I don’t think due to Visa.  Doubt he’d accept it anyway and would probably want to be sold instead. 

I doubt this is the case anyway, I think the club have brought for a reason, scouted him and aren’t going to give up after six months including 3 months lockdown. I don’t think he’s going anywhere, it doesn’t make sense.

26 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Our worst shortcoming this season was goalscoring by the attackers. Do we continue with the same bunch?

I’m not disagreeing with you, just saying I don’t think Samatta is going anywhere given the circumstances since he’s been here.

I think we’ll buy a top striker with Wes, Samatta and a youngster as our four strikers.  Davis loaned out.  Then we need creative attackers to support them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to get rid of Targett. He's behind only Robertson and Digne in terms of chances created, and for the most part has been good defensively IMO (he's had it very tough back there). Great signing.

I don't think this is entirely true, unless they're also stating this with a minimum cutoff to the amount of minutes played in the PL. Angelino, Joao Cancelo, Leighton Baines, Cezar Azpilicueta, Emerson and Oleksandr Zinchenko all have higher xA per 90 than Targett in the pL this season at left back as well as possibly Ashley Young, Matt Ritchie and Nacho Monreal(they likely are, but their sub appearances complicates the data I can see and I can't be bothered to check each individual match where they came on as a sub).

I suspect they excluded all these other players because they didn't play enough minutes at left back in the PL this season for one reason or another(only Zinchenko exceeded 1000 minutes in the position), but that minimum cutoff minutes should be stated. Otherwise, its a bit misleading.

Targetts numbers are still high mind you, especially since he managed to get them despite playing so many minutes relative to all these other players.

Edit: Also, interesting stat. Elmo might be the second top right back in terms of xA90 in the entire league, only behind Trent Alexander Arnold. But he could barely get into our starting 11. Some of the other left backs I listed at the top are also of a similar case. I think managers for the most part don't really put much weight into the creativity of their left backs or right backs if they don't have enough defensive solidity.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

53 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m not disagreeing with you, just saying I don’t think Samatta is going anywhere given the circumstances since he’s been here.

I think we’ll buy a top striker with Wes, Samatta and a youngster as our four strikers.  Davis loaned out.  Then we need creative attackers to support them.

That would be the best option, if we can afford it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Seems to me our fans have not really learned anything about last season. Changing the squad again will be a disaster. We keep most of the squad except Lansbury and kalinic and sign 5/6 new first teamers. Then guys like Samatta, Trez etc become squad players that are useful.

You do realise there is a 25 man squad limit in the Prem?

We had to unregister both Heaton and Wesley just to make a couple of additions in January

For every player that comes in, someone has to go

37 minutes ago, Junxs said:

You do realise there is a 25 man squad limit in the Prem?

We had to unregister both Heaton and Wesley just to make a couple of additions in January

For every player that comes in, someone has to go

Baston and Drinkwater would be 2 already gone, think Chester was registered as well before loaning him out. Jota will probably go too so thats 4 already

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Baston and Drinkwater would be 2 already gone, think Chester was registered as well before loaning him out. Jota will probably go too so thats 4 already

Chester was not registered, but Heaton and Wesley need to be added back. So even your above suggestion only gives us 1 place

19 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Chester was not registered, but Heaton and Wesley need to be added back. So even your above suggestion only gives us 1 place

Aston Villa

Drinkwater, Daniel Noel
Eissa, Ahmed Elmohamady Abdelfattah Aly
El Ghazi, Anwar
Engels, Bjorn Lionel G.
Gonzalez, Tomas, Borja
Grealish, Jack
Guilbert, Frederic
Hassan, Mahmoud Ahmed Ibrahim
Hause, Kortney Paul Duncan
Hourihane, Conor
Konsa, Ezri Ngoyo
Lansbury, Henri George
McGinn, John
Mings, Tyrone Deon
Nakamba, Marvelous
Nyland, Orjan Haskjold
Peleteiro Ramallo, Jose Ignacio
Reina Paez, Jose Manuel
Samatta, Mbwana Ally
Steer, Jed John
Targett, Matthew Robert
Taylor, Neil John

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11927764/full-premier-league-squads-updated-for-2019-20-season

We had 22 players registered in January. 

Did David Lynch write this thread? 

I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Getting rid of Samatta, Guilbert, Targett, Hourihane, Wesley... would be an absolute disaster. Didn't we completely gut the squad last summer... wasn't it a disaster with players not knowing each other and not gelling properly. Did we learn nothing? We somehow got away with it, and now people want to go through that all over again?

Stop-acting-so-stupid-Futurama.gif

The summer after Leicester's great escape they sold two players and bought six - the vast majority of whom were squad players. They had a settled team, and just needed two first team additions, but kept the core of their team. It's not about the individual players anymore. It's how well they know each others' game and how settled the changing room is. The same with Sheffield Utd. Sheffield Utd sold no first team players from their promotion winning side in the summer.

I think if Villa keep the core of their team in the close season and don't start selling like they just newly qualified for the champions league on FIFA, we have every chance of a top 10 finish next season. If we gut the team, it will be another relegation battle. 

Many of the dregs from our relegation season went on to have successful top flight careers because they got to learn the premier league while getting paid by Villa and beaten by every one else. We now will keep a group of players who know the league and hopefully will be better able to play in it next season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Aston Villa

Drinkwater, Daniel Noel
Eissa, Ahmed Elmohamady Abdelfattah Aly
El Ghazi, Anwar
Engels, Bjorn Lionel G.
Gonzalez, Tomas, Borja
Grealish, Jack
Guilbert, Frederic
Hassan, Mahmoud Ahmed Ibrahim
Hause, Kortney Paul Duncan
Hourihane, Conor
Konsa, Ezri Ngoyo
Lansbury, Henri George
McGinn, John
Mings, Tyrone Deon
Nakamba, Marvelous
Nyland, Orjan Haskjold
Peleteiro Ramallo, Jose Ignacio
Reina Paez, Jose Manuel
Samatta, Mbwana Ally
Steer, Jed John
Targett, Matthew Robert
Taylor, Neil John

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11927764/full-premier-league-squads-updated-for-2019-20-season

We had 22 players registered in January. 

Ok, so either one of Jota or Douglas Luiz is missing depending on whoever is Peleteiro Ramallo, Jose Ignacio

Still thats 23 and Davis no longer qualifies as an under 21

I definitely read an article end of January stating we deregistered the 2 injured players to add he new signings. Maybe theres another couple names missing seeing as I already found one?

Edited by Junxs

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Ok, so either one of Jota or Douglas Luiz is missing depending on whoever is Peleteiro Ramallo, Jose Ignacio

Still thats 23 and Davis no longer qualifies as an under 21

I definitely read an article end of January stating we deregistered the 2 injured players to add he new signings. Maybe theres another couple names missing seeing as I already found one?

that is Jota.

Luiz and Davis counted as Under 21 players this season but 2 of the players on the list are already gone as think Drinkwater is finished

• Like 1