Ratings & Reactions: West Ham v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/07/20 at 22:59

40 minutes ago, robby b said:

In the first half we had four shots and two on target. West Ham had three and zero on target. And think about what was at stake. Have you never had nerves about something?! 

Nerves dont cause people to stroll around a football field and not run or look like you are trying to do your job, so i don't see your point.

Edited by flashingqwerty
Typo

This could be a massive result for the history of the club. It gives us the chance to continue the rebuild and push on up the Premier League table. Is 17th a good result this season? of course. Do we want to push for mid table and then further to those european spots? Of course. It could be the baby steps back to where we all want Villa to be.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, TRO said:

We are where we finished, because we are inconsistent......maybe we can improve that , during the transfer window, but i don't expect a big splurge.....maybe 3/4 players.....covid will have spooked the financiers.

Not sure what inconsistency has to do with a number of players putting in zero effort in the first half?

Also, many of the 'inconsistencies' we've seen from these players throughout the season are basic technical issues that can be coached out of players.

Leicester showed that workrate can take you a long way in this game with limited talent.  Something we lacked in spades early in the season, and 8nproved in the last few games.  Sadly missing from quite a few in the first half.

28 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

The Villa stay up at 6pm. Tomorrow morning at 7am my daughter will enter this world. The best 24 hours I'll probably ever have. 

Enjoy the ride and say hello to her from us (her wider Villa family). Congratulations 🎉.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, smg said:

Full of confidence ? One match to retain a place in the premier league with god knows how many people having already decided they are shit what did you expect ? Don’t claim passion  etc was missing , it wasn’t. The team worked their bollocks off to achieve what they did. Bottom line is we are hopefully a developing club with sound backers and a decent manager that needs time ( remember Alex Ferguson} to build a squad. What we have unfortunately  is  Some followers that want to be Man City/ Liverpool overnight so they can lord  it over their mates. It takes time to build a successful squad these days.

If you can't get your players playing confidently after a good performance against everton, a victory over palace and victory over Arsenal (who just beat Man City and Liverpool) then you probably should look at alternative vocations.

I:m delighted that we have stayed up, but i am unsure we deserved it, and i remain unconvinced that the manager scouts and recruitment team are of the quality required to keep us here long term.

For me, survival papers over the cracks of a pretty poor season

Perhaps look for a more established club to follow then . It takes time , we finished 5th in the championship last year.

8 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

If you can't get your players playing confidently after a good performance against everton, a victory over palace and victory over Arsenal (who just beat Man City and Liverpool) then you probably should look at alternative vocations.

I:m delighted that we have stayed up, but i am unsure we deserved it, and i remain unconvinced that the manager scouts and recruitment team are of the quality required to keep us here long term.

For me, survival papers over the cracks of a pretty poor season

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I for one Gents, are going to be really amicable to all those fans who danced on our graves these past few months . . . 

naaaaaart

Villa forever you beauties! Love you all! Don’t ever forget we are a stalwart side. Don’t ever forget, don’t every forget! Villa forever! 

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

I can't speak for the others, but that first half was appauling.

Should have been full of confidence after the last few games, and got at them early on.  But was clear they were playing conservatively and likely looking for the draw.  Thats on DS, and shows his lack of quality as a manager.  His game management is generally poor.

We lacked cohesion and passion in the first half, and far too many didn't turn up.  Targett, McGinn and Hourihane of particular note, were all passengers and didn't look bothered.

There was a notable uplift 2nd half, but Hourihane was still dreadful as was Targett.  McGinn was a little better when pushed further forward.

I'd say more about Samatta, but at least he tried.  He was still dreadful, but he put effort in.  Davis brings so much more to the side than Samatta.

Everything good DS did against Arsenal just wasn't there tonight.

I'm just relieved, we got over the line.

time for an audit later.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Not sure what inconsistency has to do with a number of players putting in zero effort in the first half?

Also, many of the 'inconsistencies' we've seen from these players throughout the season are basic technical issues that can be coached out of players.

Leicester showed that workrate can take you a long way in this game with limited talent.  Something we lacked in spades early in the season, and 8nproved in the last few games.  Sadly missing from quite a few in the first half.

I was refering to the contrast between the Arsenal game and the West Ham Game.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm just relieved, we got over the line.

time for an audit later.

Yes but a realistic audit, apparently we are loaded but we have to build a successful squad and that takes time. We are the worst team in the premier league this season that didn’t get relegated , we finished 5th in the championship last season, it takes time to be successful these days because the buying clubs had a head start, perhaps a few mid table seasons moving forward gradually is needed.  We have an opportunity to move forward but it will take time. Can our fan base accept that.?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, smg said:

Yes but a realistic audit, apparently we are loaded but we have to build a successful squad and that takes time. We are the worst team in the premier league this season that didn’t get relegated , we finished 5th in the championship last season, it takes time to be successful these days because the buying clubs had a head start, perhaps a few mid table seasons moving forward gradually is needed.  We have an opportunity to move forward but it will take time. Can our fan base accept that.?

Yes

• Like 1

Yes yes yes yes YESSSSS!

Whet a horrible afternoon that was as soon as Bournemouth we’re leading. In truth though, the Antonio chance in the first half aside, we never looked like conceding. I’ve been really impressed with DS in the last few games and am so happy for him keeping us up. 
Hope it’s not the last we see of Jack but could well be - we have the bones of a pretty good team so looking  forward to seeing where we add quality.

• Like 3

Utter elation, had to isolate myself for 2 hours couldnt handle watching us and hearing there’s been a goal here or there.

I see some comments recentlythat make me doubt they are Villa fans.Maybe it’s obvious to everyone else.

I am proud the club stuck with Smith.This club needs stability .We signed 12 players at the start of the season and as Smith remarked Luiz came in 2 days before the season started.

The break helped us hugely we have improved massively defensively and managed to stay up without a proper .striker.I think Smith has learned how to set up as a premier league manager.

I think staying up is more of an achievement than getting promoted last season,we were without our main striker and goalkeeper for half the season  and had 12 players to integrate.We need some quality signings and spending big money is no guarantee of success Haller(46 million)Joelinton 41 million......

There is talk of getting rid of Smith,I think that would be a big mistake as big as having Thierry Henry as manager.

Lets not forget we were 15th  in the championship 19 months ago.

I want to see us improve but in a controlled gradual way -  we have had owners who spent big for a short time and then pulled the plug that kind of thing ends in the championship.

All that time I spent thinking about our games and our relegation rivals games I can spend on more constructive things like..........

Next season I want mid table mediocroty my heart can’t take it.

Edited by Only2McInallys
  • Like 3

Â