Championship Play Offs

andykeenan

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Don't think Brentford would have been any stronger than Fulham in the premier league, Fulham will probably spend more money, just because they messed up last time doesn't mean they're going to do so again. If we wanted the weakest team to come up we needed Cardiff to win the play-off, although if it's true that we're going to be spending big again then frankly we shouldn't be worrying about relegation.

Undoubtedly the team most able to make a fist of it - won tonight. I was pretty impressed with Fulham - they look a really nasty side think they will do ok next season.

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Feel for Brentford as they play some lovely football and sadly for their fans, this team will get picked apart now

probably their best chance of promotion gone, however they’ll make a ton of money (albeit not prem league money) and no doubt unearth a few transfer gems. 

If they kept the squad together I actually think they'd be comfortable for top 2 next season given championship will be far weaker (and it wasn't a great standard this season from what I saw).

Perhaps they'll just cash in on Benrahama and keep Watkins and Mbeumo for one more season. Can't see there being much prem interest for those two given how they've performed in last five games.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

So the big question I suppose is, will Fulham do a Fulham? 

They have 3 loan players and 6 players out of contract and then 3 players returning from loan

the main problem last time wasn’t that they signed £100m worth of players it was that they only signed mitrovic out of the four they had on loan and then demoted a load of players in favour of new signings

they need better quality but at the same time need to keep the harmony, going to be really tough for them

thats why we never did a Fulham, apart from maybe hourihane and Taylor who in our squad can feel aggrieved about the role they played in our promotion compared to the role they played in our PL year? We signed loads of players but didn’t upset the Apple cart because we also lost a load of players

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the main problem last time wasn’t that they signed £100m worth of players it was that they only signed mitrovic out of the four they had on loan and then demoted a load of players in favour of new signings

They also shouldn't have sacked their manager at Christmas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

That was pretty much a typical performance from Benrahma, only difference is that he usually comes up with a moment of brilliance that looks good on the highlights which makes people think he's better than he is. In some ways he was actually better today than he has been for the three or four games, because he wasn't constantly giving the ball way trying to do everything by himself.

Absolute nonsense. I know football can be subjective but he is consistently one of the highest performing players in the league. His highlight reel is great but try watching him week in, week out and you’ll see how often he dominates games. 
Who knows if he will cut it in the premier league - many have been outstanding in the Championship and not made an impression in the big league but to characterise him as a highlights only player is very wide of the mark. 

Edited by choffer

Leeds fans on social media remind me actually of how we were last summer when we went up. They genuinely think it's gonna be a piece of piss ( we weren't quite at that level but the general consensus among many with who we signed is we'd comfortably finish mid table ) and let's not forget, Bielsa's record in top divisiin football isn't exactly stellar. Maybe when his players come up against quality individual players, his system falls apart. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, choffer said:

Absolute nonsense. I know football can be subjective but he is consistently one of the highest performing players in the league. His highlight reel is great but try watching him week in, week out and you’ll see how often he dominates games. 
Who knows if he will cut it in the premier league - many have been outstanding in the Championship and not made an impression in the big league but to characterise him as a highlights only player is very wide of the mark. 

Wouldn't be paying 20 million for him though. Brentford are so remarkably well run though that they probably have no debt even on the new stadium so may not need to sell. 

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Wouldn't be paying 20 million for him though. Brentford are so remarkably well run though that they probably have no debt even on the new stadium so may not need to sell. 

Like all Brentford players, the database has a price that they will accept. I doubt they’d accept £20M. 
Benham has bankrolled the club for years. He’s paid for the stadium too. There will be debt but for as long as the owner stays interested, the debt won’t be a problem. 

That was a truly awful game to watch. Very little quality on both sides and I have to say on that showing Smith was right when he said Brentford were asking too much money for Benrahma. Anyone can have a bad game but what alarmed me most was Benrahma’s poor control and lack of tracking players who were running beyond him.

Grealish is a class above Benrahma.

9 minutes ago, striker said:

That was a truly awful game to watch. Very little quality on both sides and I have to say on that showing Smith was right when he said Brentford were asking too much money for Benrahma. Anyone can have a bad game but what alarmed me most was Benrahma’s poor control and lack of tracking players who were running beyond him.

I thought his passing was abysmal. Like, 5 yard stuff , not talking about picking a guy out with a wordly

10 minutes ago, striker said:

I thought his passing was abysmal. Like, 5 yard stuff , not talking about picking a guy out with a wordly

It looks like it is becoming a bit of a mini league between the Premier League and the Championship with Fulham going straight back up and Albion in 2 seasons. Leeds are the exception to the rule though. A relegated club either has to be dreadfully badly managed or your owner to trouser most of the parachute payments for you to at not least finish in the playoffs in your firs two years back down in the championship. 

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

It looks like it is becoming a bit of a mini league between the Premier League and the Championship with Fulham going straight back up and Albion in 2 seasons. Leeds are the exception to the rule though. A relegated club either has to be dreadfully badly managed or your owner to trouser most of the parachute payments for you to at not least finish in the playoffs in your firs two years back down in the championship. 

I predicted this a few years ago based off the massive difference in TV money and FFP restrictions on wealthy owners. I was told I was completely wrong by most mind, but there does appear to be a core of about 25 clubs now and about 5/6 who bounce up and down (I hope we're not in that group and can move comfortably clear). 

Â