Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

On 28/07/2020 at 09:46, villalad21 said:

How many would take 38 points next season if offered it now?

Not right now.  I am predicting / hoping that we will land some good (young) transfers and will finish with 48 points next season.  Then the season after we'll be in / around the top half and the investment in younger players will be starting to pay dividends.

We have to be real, we've scabbed it by the skin of our teeth. Anyone thinking we're just going to stroll into the top half/45 plus points and win 15 games overnight is kidding themselves, especially with such a quick turnaround. Offer me 38-40 pts and 14/15th place i'd gladly take it. It's about progression and we need shrewd signings for this. 

13 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

We have to be real, we've scabbed it by the skin of our teeth. Anyone thinking we're just going to stroll into the top half/45 plus points and win 15 games overnight is kidding themselves, especially with such a quick turnaround. Offer me 38-40 pts and 14/15th place i'd gladly take it. It's about progression and we need shrewd signings for this. 

I think 38 no, 40-43 I’d take it.

• Like 1

Just thinking we ended last season well and we should be looking to take some confidence into the new season. 

Hopefully we can improve the first eleven with three new acquisitions and get a decent fixture list for the opening few games.

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I think 38 no, 40-43 I’d take it.

We were almost 37 points if we didn't let West Ham score their draw. So that's not a progress to be honest.

I won't claim anything, but if we still had Grealish after the window closes, I think we'll need to aim much higher (ofcourse after seeing our activity in the market). Last time we didn't do it right when Benteke and Delph went. Now if we keep Grealish, then that itself shall make us stable and aim higher.

27 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We were almost 37 points if we didn't let West Ham score their draw. So that's not a progress to be honest.

I won't claim anything, but if we still had Grealish after the window closes, I think we'll need to aim much higher (ofcourse after seeing our activity in the market). Last time we didn't do it right when Benteke and Delph went. Now if we keep Grealish, then that itself shall make us stable and aim higher.

37 points you might go down. 40-43 you won’t. So I don’t think that’s major progress and I’d hope for more from the season but if I was offered it now (which was the question) I would probably take it. I don’t disagree though that we should aim higher.

• Like 2

Who knows whats possible in regards to our final point tally.

We were 2 very late equalisers away from winning those last 4 games and we lost so many points from winning positions all season. We look as if we’ve learned how to defend a lot better now, we might start looking solid and savvy all of a sudden with some good additions to supplement the side.

Im excited as always pre season. No doubt it will all come crashing down early October time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think we would be a bit arrogant if we didnt consider staying up as the first priority so I would take anything above 38 points really.  Hopefully it's a bit more fun than this season though.

I respectfully disagree. We were very close to winning more games last season. Naivety cost us more wins. We took the lead in so many games last season and nearly held on to the wins. We were 5 minutes away from getting a huge win against Liverpool but for a dip in concentration. 

I stand by my 15 wins in the season challenge. I think we will be capable of it depending on how we recruit in the window.

2 wins already on the board - Tesco carrier bags are so easy to rip apart!

• Like 1

Nah we need to aim higher than just surviving each season. I’m not expecting top half but somewhere around 12th with points in the high 40s would be decent progress. That’s why our signings need to be bold and ambitious on proven quality otherwise it will be a long season again. The owners and management will realise this but it will take another summer of large investment. I doubt we could finish above the top 6 + Wolves, Everton, Leicester and possibly Spam, but all the other sides next season we should be aiming to finish above. 

I also think Doug, Jack, SJM, Mings and Konsa will all improve with a year’s experience in the Prem. There is definitely potential there in our team, but we need to plug the gaps properly.

• Like 1

A couple of softer games to start, but big teams away first, so possibly when we play them at home there'll be crowds of some sort in. 

Against last seasons table, 45 is top of the shit teams, 50 bottom of the better ones. So somewhere in that spread would be a good season for me. Don't see why we shouldn't be challenging Burnley, Southampton, Everton etc. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MikeAVFC said:

To be honest you never know.

Many teams have had a tough first season.

Then buoyed by the experience and astute additions have gone on to do very well the following season.

Deano will have learned alot, and I assume the style of play will have been tweaked, the silly points we have dropped should mostly be cut out.

I mean think about the amount of points we actually dropped purely through individual errors etc?

We arguably could/should have been lower mid table sake of some terrible errors and decisions.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

We've shown in the campaign just passed that we can compete with and challenge anyone in the league, even the best in Europe. Now we must push on to be able to defeat them too.

When we hit the woodwork late in the cup final against City, we narrowly missed a chance to send the game into ET and give ourselves a shot at silverware, against one of Europe's top teams. Don't underestimate how good a go we had at adding to the trophy cabinet that day, we started brighter than our opponents, but in typical fashion were punished early on and at the first occasion where our opponents were able to muster a chance, consequently we're put in a position whereby victory was a monumental task as we lost the leverage on the game and were forced to chase.

So many games this season passed, we failed to hold it together for 90 minutes and were susceptible to conceding as a consequence of our own liabilities and errors being exploited. We were comfortably mid-table for goals scored, it was our inability to protect our own neck that cost us, conceding the second most of all teams. Despite this 10 of our 21 losses came through defeats by margins of one goal, which just shows that despite being the second worst team for keeping goals out, we ended well over two thirds of our total matches either winning, on equal terms, or down by a single goal. If we can change that, and play with stamina, cohesion, reliability and consistency then I think we can aim to achieve a top half finish, no doubt.

Edit: If you look at the statistical data for different areas of play we are actually comfortably a mid-table, if not pushing top half team. The areas we lack in are shots and goals conceded, and we were lower half for tackles made per game on average per side too. Otherwise, I looked at every key area on whoscored.com and we are comfortably mid-table in every other department. I know that only tells you so much about the game, but it does offer enough insight on a whole to gain some idea for how we fared this last season.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Â