Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think a realistic target for next season is a minimum of 15 wins. I think with the right additions we can achieve that. I would also like it if we can have a maximum of 14 defeats. That means we have won more than we have lost. Tough but a realistic target.

You gotta be trolling? That's more wins then Arsenal had this season, Wolves had 15 wins, Spurs only had 16, 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

You gotta be trolling? That's more wins then Arsenal had this season, Wolves had 15 wins, Spurs only had 16, 

Im sure we can find 6 wins, we were very close in a lot of games. In fact took the lead quite a bit. 

How is that trolling?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

15 wins does seem a lot. Whatever the case, we need to stop conceding so late and just generally stop being so easy to cut through or we'll struggle to reach 10 again.

Post lockdown we seemed to have stopped these issues, so hopefully that can continue next season with more potency up front. 

15 wins is achievable. Win as many as we can at home and ensure our away form isn’t so diabolical next season. Starting with an away clean sheet early doors!

If you could go back in time to affect the PL decision to scrap the season vs playing it out, knowing if you play it out you'd have to go through the torture and anguish of the last two months all over again for the same result as just starting over, which do you choose? 

Edited by IrishVillain

2 minutes ago, IrishVillain said:

If you could go back in time to affect the PL decision to scrap the season vs playing it out, knowing you'd have to go through the torture and anguish of the last two months all over again, which do you choose? 

100% play it out - we’ve earned survival. No one can say we are only in the PL cause of corona and further still it’s been immense character building for our players and I think our defence has come on leaps and bounds which will breed confidence for next season.

Mings has come good, Konsa been terrific and Targett solid when fit. In Dougie we have a gem. Short term pain for long term gain.

• Like 4

I just hope we have a reasonable fixtures list. Not one like we had in November. The form get affected on those circumstances. We’ve benefited from our last 4. Unlike the prior 5 which had only Newcastle as a winnable game. 
Leicester lost it, but to be honest they weren’t helped to find a way to get their form back with the fixture list they saw coming.

Same goes with Bournemouth, they almost gave up if it wasn’t Leicester that gifted them the game. They only surrendered because of their fixtures which affected them while playing the likes of Newcastle and Palace.

3 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I just hope we have a reasonable fixtures list. Not one like we had in November. The form get affected on those circumstances. We’ve benefited from our last 4. Unlike the prior 5 which had only Newcastle as a winnable game. 
Leicester lost it, but to be honest they weren’t helped to find a way to get their form back with the fixture list they saw coming.

Same goes with Bournemouth, they almost gave up if it wasn’t Leicester that gifted them the game. They only surrendered because of their fixtures which affected them while playing the likes of Newcastle and Palace.

I'm one of those that doesn't care how the fixtures are. We have to play them anyway. I think we'll be better against the bigger clubs this season. I really hope we smash Leicester though. 

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

I'm one of those that doesn't care how the fixtures are. We have to play them anyway. I think we'll be better against the bigger clubs this season. I really hope we smash Leicester though. 

It affects when it comes after each other. It puts more pressure and take a lot of momentum. 

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I hope we have Tesco Bags away as our first fixture. I don’t want another Spurs type of game to begin with. 

I just never like the newly promoted teams in the first few games when they are excited... 

47 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I just never like the newly promoted teams in the first few games when they are excited... 

Agreed. We want to stay away from Leeds, WBA and whomever in the first 2 months. Get them around Nov/Dec when their belief and confidence is shaken.

• Like 2

I sincerely believe that we would finish higher up the league even if we kept the same team as this season. A year’s experience will have been so valuable for most of this team. Add some quality signings and I don’t think we’ll be battling relegation again. 

• Like 1

15 wins is quite optimistic for next season. The only chance would be if Jack stays and we nail the recruiting. I think 45 points should be the realistic target, especially if Jack is sold. 10 points improvement season on season would be a very good achievement. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

we've clearly addressed our defensive issues. Add some quality in the final 3rd and we should be safe from worrying about going down next year. 

Think it's too early to say we've sorted out the defense. We did it for the finish of this season and big props to everyone involved.

But I think it will look a bit different next season when all teams are fully motivated again and the players are fitter and mentally up for it. 

The games during the restart where on pre season level when it came to intensity and quality for large spells.

We need to work really hard to maintain the improvement we saw and likely add a bit of quality too in defense.

Â