Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

51 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Well when Man United get 50m subscribers world wide and Brentford get 10k you'll be left wondering why football has become even more unbalanced than it was before. 

At least the sky money is reasonably distributed, it's the CL money that skews it. 

Fair point 

20 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Fair point 

International rights done collectively, but in the UK it could be done on a season ticket basis, only for people resident in the UK. An e-season ticket. 

That was it keeps if more equal. If this is about tv rights, I jumped in on these comments.

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

Random one, just watching the FA Cup final, no fans, obviously... how is this season going to work in terms of clubs making money? If fans cannot go into the stadium (who knows when that will ever happen again), what ways are they making money from us directly?

Are clubs going to put together a package giving fans access to view every match (home and away) including having the chance to see the usual pre match stuff as well etc. 

I’d pay a couple hundred pound to be able to see all the games and maybe a shirt as well. 

Wonder if this is all being thought off as surely clubs can’t just rely on the TV money? 

Premier League- about 20% of revenue is from match day. As long as people still pay ridiculous subscription fees to tv channels and as long as it remains a global product it could survive without us oiks ever going back into our grounds.

The Championship is more reliant on crowds so they would suffer but they could probably survive just about for a year. Maybe a couple of clubs would go into administration.

Leagues one, two, conference,  and below. They are screwed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roonst83 said:

Big fan of Wills. And he’s definitely more than “into it”. He’s followed us for years and from interviews I’ve seen him in has solid knowledge on us. You could see from the look on his face at games at VP,  Wembley and Norwich away just how much passion he has. I love to see that. 

I'm surprised he said his first game was a mid week game, I clearly saw him at the league Cup final against man utd or Leeds? And i presumed thats why he supported us, because as a small kid he saw us win in a final. Obviously not as hip as an fa cup game against Bolton but I'm 99% sure he was at the villa league cup final in 1994.

Edited by brummybloke
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, brummybloke said:

I'm surprised he said his first game was a mid week game, I clearly saw him at the league Cup final against man utd or Leeds? And i presumed thats why he supported us, because as a small kid he saw us win in a final. Obviously not as hip as an fa cup game against Bolton but I'm 99% sure he was at the villa league cup final in 1994.

He went to the Villa Bolton 2000 SF, met the players in dressing room after the game. That was certainly the first time it was mentioned in the press he supported us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He went to the Villa Bolton 2000 SF, met the players in dressing room after the game. That was certainly the first time it was mentioned in the press he supported us.

But im positive he was at the villa 3 man utd 1 cup final. I cant recall if he shook the players hands while collecting their trophy but I would hazard a guess that was his first villa game, and winning the cup would have influenced his team choice being as it was his first cup final experience as a royal.

I'm happy the best royal supports us, it just doesn't sound as hip saying he saw us win as a young kid so picked us 🤣

Edited by brummybloke

Im sure he has been quoted as saying that when he was young all his "friends" supported manchester united and other "mainstream" teams and he wanted to be different.

Then he decided to support villa after watching a villa game on tv..and when he went to his first game he said the fans and the atmosphere was electric and he was hooked.

12 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

But im positive he was at the villa 3 man utd 1 cup final. I cant recall if he shook the players hands while collecting their trophy but I would hazard a guess that was his first villa game, and winning the cup would have influenced his team choice being as it was his first cup final experience as a royal.

I'm happy the best royal supports us, it just doesn't sound as hip saying he saw us win as a young kid so picked us 🤣

Could be right. His Parents were usually guest of honour at FA cup finals in the late 80s/early 90s before the divorce so he could well have been taken to a few of those games. Can remember Prince Charles wanting to give the FA cup to Steve Bruce. Someone had to tell him Man. United had actually lost that day...

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

he said he was 12 when he went to Villa - Bolton so wasnt that game

William was there according to Google and if nothing else, I just watched 20 minutes of that cup final again.

Shows how important pace, power in midfield and a finisher in Saunders is. 

Warriors that team. 

On topic... hopefully we can add pace and power to our team to finish higher up this season. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tayls said:

Random one, just watching the FA Cup final, no fans, obviously... how is this season going to work in terms of clubs making money? If fans cannot go into the stadium (who knows when that will ever happen again), what ways are they making money from us directly?

Are clubs going to put together a package giving fans access to view every match (home and away) including having the chance to see the usual pre match stuff as well etc. 

I’d pay a couple hundred pound to be able to see all the games and maybe a shirt as well. 

Wonder if this is all being thought off as surely clubs can’t just rely on the TV money? 

Premier League clubs will survive but lower down, lots of clubs will fold with no fans. Can see maybe 25-20 teams in the EFL will survive

4 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Agree.

The Premier League could easily set up a pay per game or team season ticket subscription,  with or without Sky Tv, would probably be more lucrative for them too, I know I would prefer to have a team season ticket and watch all the Villa games live, and if I want to watch another team play I could do a pay as you go type thing.  

That won’t make the £5.2 billion over 3 years they currently make!    

(very rough figures from memory!)

2 hours ago, roonst83 said:

Big fan of Wills. And he’s definitely more than “into it”. He’s followed us for years and from interviews I’ve seen him in has solid knowledge on us. You could see from the look on his face at games at VP,  Wembley and Norwich away just how much passion he has. I love to see that. 

Hes always sitting with Carew at games isnt he, must be good pals in real life.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Premier League clubs will survive but lower down, lots of clubs will fold with no fans. Can see maybe 25-20 teams in the EFL will survive

Wouldnt it be in the best interest for the premier league and its clubs to donate a portion to a fund to help clubs in trouble because of this. If the league earns way more than it should do then I'm sure it should be looked at as taking on responsibility to those affected by these kind of times.

Maybe it's time to learn a lesson here that if something like this happens in the future that those clubs affected get help from a fund that all clubs depending on how much they make have to put something I to it each season. 

I'm just spit balling but I would hate for any clubs to be devastated beyond repair to the point we no longer see them especially if the wealthy in football could of done something about it.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Wouldnt it be in the best interest for the premier league and its clubs to donate a portion to a fund to help clubs in trouble because of this. If the league earns way more than it should do then I'm sure it should be looked at as taking on responsibility to those affected by these kind of times.

Maybe it's time to learn a lesson here that if something like this happens in the future that those clubs affected get help from a fund that all clubs depending on how much they make have to put something I to it each season. 

I'm just spit balling but I would hate for any clubs to be devastated beyond repair to the point we no longer see them especially if the wealthy in football could of done something about it.

I'm not sure how many prem clubs turn a profit, quite a few quickly turned to the furlough scheme and the wages they pay mean that very few would be looking to offload money. I wonder if the lower leagues should look at wage caps? 

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I'm not sure how many prem clubs turn a profit, quite a few quickly turned to the furlough scheme and the wages they pay mean that very few would be looking to offload money. I wonder if the lower leagues should look at wage caps? 

Hasnt there already been talk of wage caps in the efl 2 this past week?

That said I do think it's time football as a whole shared this problem together, it's a full on industry is it not and it certainly should be obliged to help out its fellow competitors if the sport is potentially going to be weakened because of times like this.

Imagine how many people lose jobs here from footballers to medical personal, trainers to organisers in a club, there are tons of jobs that people will lose.

Edited by Dave-R

Not the greatest source but sure why not 🤦‍♂️

Sent off for COUGHING? Footballers will be shown a red card if they cough deliberately at an opponent or referee, as the FA gets tough with new Covid-related rules

• Players who deliberately cough at another player or referee will be shown red 
  • New FA guidance has ranked deliberate coughing as seriously as punching 
  • Referees will not be expected to police goal celebrations or spitting at the pitch
  • The new rules apply to all levels of the game and come into effect immediately 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8587189/Footballers-shown-red-card-cough-deliberately-person-amid-coronavirus.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

I can see it now, Harry Kane goes down in the box holding his face rolling around on the ground while VAR is looking at the replay to see if defender sneezed, took a deep breath, coughed or intentionally coughed.

Â