Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

1 hour ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

With the government today cancelling the under 5000 gathering limit  pilot scheme...i cannot see any fans being allowed back into stadiums this year.

The whole structure of football,tv money and advertising is going to change hugely over the coming weeks.

Massive upturn in covid cases all over europe does not bode well for anyone.

I can see the FA extending TV rights to the BBC etc for a much bigger audience and that will be conducive to much higher advertising revenues and the "drinks break" will also be used as an advertising platform in some way to bring in more revenue.

The  huge sums of money for players for next season is not sustainable in the current climate..its only a matter of time until smaller clubs go under and this will have a massive effect on the bigger teams spending power

Non Premier League sides are just not going to survive.  They are going to have to come to some sort of TV deal. 

Surely the TV companies must be making a tone of money showing all these extra games? Next year's deal should be an increase in my opinion. 

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

Non Premier League sides are just not going to survive.  They are going to have to come to some sort of TV deal. 

Surely the TV companies must be making a tone of money showing all these extra games? Next year's deal should be an increase in my opinion. 

Many of the sponsors who give money to the Tv companies are also having cash flow problems. Sky etc will be taking a hit to their revenue which means they will not be able to pay as much for TV rights. 

• Like 1

On 30/07/2020 at 16:38, Jareth said:

Well it's good news for piracy fans - if they thought the Saudi efforts previously were good value, just watch them rip off BeIn Sports this coming season like you've never seen before. 

That’s great news, if I can save some money on my football subscriptions I can buy my new CARRRRRRRRRR

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

That’s great news, if I can save some money on my football subscriptions I can buy my new CARRRRRRRRRR

Funny you should say that - my brain was affected by the constant Cazoo images so I went on their website and now want a new car. 

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Great stat on Palace - 

Goals scored by players under the age of 26 = 0

They can't score and Roy isn't giving young hungry players a chance 

Jack will be 26 in just over a year, will his goals not count? 

3 hours ago, John said:

We didn't quite do a Fulham. Whose up for doing a Leicester next season (we already have achieved the first season survival bit)?

Lol if only. Leicester's timing was impeccable, the fact that a poor Arsene Wenger side were the only true rival for the title says it all. 

No smaller clubs are doing that any time soon with Pep and Klopp in full flow.  

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Many of the sponsors who give money to the Tv companies are also having cash flow problems. Sky etc will be taking a hit to their revenue which means they will not be able to pay as much for TV rights. 

But they surely have attracted way more subscribers in Lockdown. 

Amazon are one of the companies vying for more games and their revenue is up 40% so far this year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

Lol if only. Leicester's timing was impeccable, the fact that a poor Arsene Wenger side were the only true rival for the title says it all. 

I agree, but we are not a small club! :cheers:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Im feeling very positive about the future of our club. One thing though, we might need to solidify in the middle of the league before we push again.

One thing for sure, we make strides this next season and I can see 🏆s in our future.

Edited by avfcDJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, avfcDJ said:

Im feeling very positive about the future of our club. One thing though, we might need to solidify in the middle of the league before we push again.

One thing for sure, we make strides this next season and I can see 🏆s in our future.

I share your optimism. My only concern is that we do not operate in a vacuum and we will have to compete against other ambitious clubs (Leicester, Leeds, Everton) and navigate FFP to start challenging the current "Big 6" clubs. The upcoming transfer window will give us a good indication of the future. 

Football should take this moment to modernize. Charge direct for your own stream, provide a replay archive. For years football has been held back by a 20th century view of business, with the end point always being forcing a customer to a physical location. Forget that all that crap, just stream it. Attendance is a nice to have extra , it has been a secondary source of income for years already in top clubs. Its importance is only going to diminish even more.

Clubs need to get their digital sales sorted and thats much more important for Championship clubs and below.  

All digital media gets pirated. As music and films and games have shown the winners in the 21st century provide a more convenient legitimate online service instead. They dont bury their heads in the sane and hope for the old days to come back.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

I share your optimism. My only concern is that we do not operate in a vacuum and we will have to compete against other ambitious clubs (Leicester, Leeds, Everton) and navigate FFP to start challenging the current "Big 6" clubs. The upcoming transfer window will give us a good indication of the future. 

First aim is to pick 8 clubs we need to finish above. Then keep building. We are in a different position compared to even when Lerner took over, this is a unique opportunity where our fall from grace ended up working in our favour. So little crap in our squad now, room for wiggle on wages, good TV money, a really good spine to the team. As long as we buy sensibly we will grow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

And don’t forget Tottenham who came third in a two horse race.

• Haha 2

Random one, just watching the FA Cup final, no fans, obviously... how is this season going to work in terms of clubs making money? If fans cannot go into the stadium (who knows when that will ever happen again), what ways are they making money from us directly?

Are clubs going to put together a package giving fans access to view every match (home and away) including having the chance to see the usual pre match stuff as well etc. 

I’d pay a couple hundred pound to be able to see all the games and maybe a shirt as well. 

Wonder if this is all being thought off as surely clubs can’t just rely on the TV money? 

30 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Football should take this moment to modernize. Charge direct for your own stream, provide a replay archive. For years football has been held back by a 20th century view of business, with the end point always being forcing a customer to a physical location. Forget that all that crap, just stream it. Attendance is a nice to have extra , it has been a secondary source of income for years already in top clubs. Its importance is only going to diminish even more.

Clubs need to get their digital sales sorted and thats much more important for Championship clubs and below.  

All digital media gets pirated. As music and films and games have shown the winners in the 21st century provide a more convenient legitimate online service instead. They dont bury their heads in the sane and hope for the old days to come back.

Well when Man United get 50m subscribers world wide and Brentford get 10k you'll be left wondering why football has become even more unbalanced than it was before. 

At least the sky money is reasonably distributed, it's the CL money that skews it. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Random one, just watching the FA Cup final, no fans, obviously... how is this season going to work in terms of clubs making money? If fans cannot go into the stadium (who knows when that will ever happen again), what ways are they making money from us directly?

Are clubs going to put together a package giving fans access to view every match (home and away) including having the chance to see the usual pre match stuff as well etc. 

I’d pay a couple hundred pound to be able to see all the games and maybe a shirt as well. 

Wonder if this is all being thought off as surely clubs can’t just rely on the TV money? 

Gate receipts are a drop in the ocean for Prem clubs these days.

Worrying for lower league clubs though.

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Gate receipts are a drop in the ocean for Prem clubs these days.

Worrying for lower league clubs though.

Yep. You saw the last few weeks to what extent fans in attendance are needed with regards to clubs making money. It's all about the TV dollars! Lower leagues as you say is an entirely diffferent proposition.

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Agree.

The Premier League could easily set up a pay per game or team season ticket subscription,  with or without Sky Tv, would probably be more lucrative for them too, I know I would prefer to have a team season ticket and watch all the Villa games live, and if I want to watch another team play I could do a pay as you go type thing. 

Especially as we do not know when crowds will be back, be nice earner for all the teams. 

• Like 2

Â