Pre Match Thread - Villa's Last Stand !

Paul33

I do have huge respect for Everton as a football club.

Big and proper club with a great stadium and fan base.

Their fans do not suffer from the inferiority complex syndrome like most of the lesser clubs who for one reason or another can't stand us.

Doing the double over them would be a good achievement. Looking forward to the game. Hope they are in beach mode!

My head says 1-1. My heart says 1-3

So no Yerry Mina, probably Keane and Holgate to play for them. Thats a chance in itself for us to get at them. Their midfield is a weakness for them and a strong suit for us. We can win that battle. Their forwards will be the threat we need to be focused. Feel more comfortable with Mings and Konsa at center half, adds natural balance rather than Hause playing at RCB needing to go onto his left foot all the time slowing our snailpace football down further. If Jack and John can produce a performance they’re capable of when we need it most then this is very much winnable. Have no reservations anymore over Doug controlling things, been immense lately. Trezeguet with new found confidence looking to get on the end of chances now bodes well. Just need Davis or Samatta to get one now to boost them for the last few games. Everton I would say are a great opponent right now when you need to get something. We have a chance here.

Think it will be a big mental confidence boost for Smith too if he can take the scalp of a big name like Ancelotti and outthink him. Please Villa, give us hope.

• Like 2

My team for this match would be: (feel free to criticise or correct!)

Nyland

Guilbert Konsa Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz Hourihane 

Trezeguet Samatta Grealish 

Subs: Steer, Elmohamady, Hause, Taylor, El Ghazi, Nakamba, Davis

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Nyland

McGinn Luiz Hourihane 

Is Reina injured ? What has he done to not even make the bench ?

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Nyland

McGinn Luiz Hourihane 

I very much doubt we will replace Reina and Elmo (rightly so), both of whom produced very good performances last time out whilst being part of a defence that kept a welcomed clean sheet.

On 14/07/2020 at 06:35, Keyblade said:

Reminds me of us against them in 2015 under Sherwood. Effectively a must win, and we just wanted it more. Remember a young Jack embarrassing one of their defenders that day.

Yes I was sat right by that in The Whitton Lane stand. He basically put an Everton player on his arse with some footwork, literally stopped raised his hand to his mouth to giggle then played on. 

On 13/07/2020 at 17:29, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Grealish due a goal

It is time for him to score.  He needs to stop all this slowing down nonsense.  I want to see him cut inside and curl one into the corner, move it to the side in the middle of the park to make some space and smash it in. Shimmy into the box and slide one under the keeper. 

We need him to come to the table now. He's got it all and we desperately need it.  No more receiving the ball and slowing to a walking pace, get at them Jack. 

Edited by sidcow

I think I would line up the same as against Palace, the actual line up without Hause, but with Targett instead of Taylor

Reina

Elmo   Konsa        Mings   Targett

Luiz
    Hourihane              McGinn 

Trez           Samatta        Grealish

Trez has earned a start, even if he isn’t the best his confidence will be up, and then can swap for El Ghazi (who often seems better coming on later or after a break of games) if ineffectual 

Last chance saloon again, come on Villa.

• Like 2

On 14/07/2020 at 12:10, OxfordVillan said:

Mike, I really hope our players don’t go into this fixture with the same mindset. We’ll get beaten if they do.

Oh no, of course they can't, they need to be level headed and prepare for a tough game. But reality is, we have an opportunity to get a huge and unexpected shot at survival. This is the easiest game left on paper for us, a side with nothing to play for.