Pre Match Thread - Villa's Last Stand !

Paul33

Who the hell is Gordon in their midfield? Their Midfield looks weak. They have a few injuries too. They aren't playing well and already on the beach mentality so my prediction is Everton to win 3-1

• Haha 4

We’ve given ourselves a lifeline, which is more than I expected when those West Ham & Watford results came in on Saturday. 

Everton will surely have been read the riot act, be surprised if Ancelotti doesnt get a reaction from his side following their dismal performance at Wolves.

Its a great chance for us in terms of opposition and a chance to be within touching distance of the 2 above us. Will we take it? Im not so sure, I really hope they play out of their skin and bring it home. 

This is the round of games that simply has to go our way. Bournemouth hopefully get a hiding from City, we take maximum points no matter what and then we can sit back Friday and see what unfolds between WHU & Watford. 

1-1 i think for us.

Grealish due a goal

Everton are safe and little to play for so for this particular game I’d like to see Villa get the points they need. It may not be as easy as some may think on here though as the Everton have suffered a real bollocking.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rubberman said:

How much motivation can you muster when you've nothing to play for, might be eyeing up a move & avoid injury etc.  Good opportunity for us to put the pressure on.

Reminds me of us against them in 2015 under Sherwood. Effectively a must win, and we just wanted it more. Remember a young Jack embarrassing one of their defenders that day.

The aim has to be midfield and defensive solidity at Everton, which to be fair has been mostly what we’ve seen from Villa since the restart. What we would do for a remotely in form centre forward, maybe Everton is the game that Samatta finds his wings? Keep a clean sheet and you’ve always got a chance of 3pts. Fingers crossed for another big performance from Douglas Luiz, he’s the man of the moment for Villa and we have to hope he retains his energy and fitness. If just one forward player could step up to Luiz’s level of performance we’d be looking so much better.  As I say, though, keep it tight first and foremost. 

I’ve just watched back the 2-0 win over Everton from earlier this season. Wow, we looked a totally different proposition back then. I know it was the highlights but the movement, urgency and tempo were there. McGinn looked like a different player, Jack was smiling and we attacked with intent. I went to that match but somehow managed to forget that we actually looked half decent at that point. 

Everton are a much tougher proposition now too though, they’ll be looking to win this and show Ancelotti what they’re made of. I just hope that Villa want it more than they do and that we have a full 90 without any stupid mistakes. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’ve just watched back the 2-0 win over Everton from earlier this season. Wow, we looked a totally different proposition back then. I know it was the highlights but the movement, urgency and tempo were there. McGinn looked like a different player, Jack was smiling and we attacked with intent. I went to that match but somehow managed to forget that we actually looked half decent at that point. 

Everton are a much tougher proposition now too though, they’ll be looking to win this and show Ancelotti what they’re made of. I just hope that Villa want it more than they do and that we have a full 90 without any stupid mistakes. 

That was such a good game and such a good atmosphere. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

That was such a good game and such a good atmosphere. 

The atmosphere was electric, just looking at the highlights you can see the lift it gives the players when the crowd roars them on. It makes a real difference and it's easy to forget when you're watching games in empty stadiums. It's a definite disadvantage for us at the moment. I'd say that every team is in the same boat at the moment, but then not every team has stand like the Holte End in full voice behind them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

The atmosphere was electric, just looking at the highlights you can see the lift it gives the players when the crowd roars them on. It makes a real difference and it's easy to forget when you're watching games in empty stadiums. It's a definite disadvantage for us at the moment. I'd say that every team is in the same boat at the moment, but then not every team has stand like the Holte End in full voice behind them. 

If I remember correctly though we started very shakily and VP was very nervous. The opening goal changed everything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

If I remember correctly though we started very shakily and VP was very nervous. The opening goal changed everything.

True, Villa Park can be a very edgy place. But all we ask is for the team to have a go and the crowd will back them. 

• Like 1

Getting nervous already, just hope we do ourselves justice - If we approach it in the right manner, keeping it solid at the back with no individual mistakes, but start on the front foot with an attacking impetus then we have a great chance for 3 vital points.

Goodison Park can be a tough place to go with the crowd on top of you so the lack of atmosphere in this one is a big plus for a team with our away record.

I personally would stick Davis up top in place of Samatta, but it's debatable either way, I just think Davis has a better all round game and will be more of a handful for the Everton defence. Targett in for Taylor (who's probably out anyway) And the rest as you were.

I think this one is all down to how our two centre halves play - if Konsa and Mings can nullify the threat of Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison we will win this - Think this will be the key battle and who comes out on top will walk away with the three points.

UTV 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, messi11 said:

Who the hell is Gordon in their midfield? Their Midfield looks weak. They have a few injuries too. They aren't playing well and already on the beach mentality so my prediction is Everton to win 3-1

Just been talking to an Everton supporting mate and he reckons they've been playing like dogshit for a good while, and the problem is that basically they have no midfield. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Just been talking to an Everton supporting mate and he reckons they've been playing like dogshit for a good while, and the problem is that basically they have no midfield. 

You sure it was your Everton supporting mate?

Edited by AVTuco
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

You sure it was your Everton supporting mate?

Haha, yes. He watches a lot of football, and he genuinely thinks they are as bad as us. 

• Like 1

Essentially as important as the POF we played against Derby at Wembley. I'm backing us to win, I can't say the same for retaining PL status, but it's not beyond us. 

It's a shame our GD is so poor, two wins would quite possibly haul us above Brighton, and potentially Bournemouth, West Ham and Watford too. Still possible I guess.