Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Crystal Palace

limpid

Match Polls  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/07/20 at 22:59

Surely, we want Watford and West Ham to draw to minimize the total points awarded between our relegation rivals.  We have no idea which of them will do better in the following 2 games and it would be worst scenario going into the last 2 weeks relying on just one team to fail to get results.  Watford could well get a point or 3 off Arsenal, and West Ham could get something from Man U.  As long as both don’t get points from those games we’re in with a chance if we beat Everton.   If they both win those games it really doesn’t matter what happens when they play each other, as they’ll probably be out of reach anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ouchmefoot said:

if we beat everton I guess we want a draw from them. Or a Watford win to set up a winner takes all against west ham on the last day? 

I'd rather play A West Ham team who are safe and dont  care about the result and have Watford who will be on 34 points  playing Arsenal, and us on 33 or 34 or 36 needing to equal or better their result. 

• Like 1

Trez built on his hustle and bustle with a meaningful contribution - well done to him - hope he can kick on.

We looked so much better with Elmo at RB. same team on Thursday please.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Surprised I thought I was the only one who voted very poor for the ref

The sakho one is outrageous and so is Jack's dive, VAR **** up for them and something the ref should never be getting wrong that VAR got right for us 

I disagree. 

Palaces 'goal' should not have been disallowed for handball, but should have for the foul on Reina, so they got it right for the wrong reason.

Jack should be ashamed of himself for that penalty appeal, threw himself to the ground when he might have scored.  Was him that stood on the defender.  Great call by VAR.

They got little wrong throughout for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Surely, we want Watford and West Ham to draw to minimize the total points awarded between our relegation rivals.  We have no idea which of them will do better in the following 2 games and it would be worst scenario going into the last 2 weeks relying on just one team to fail to get results.  Watford could well get a point or 3 off Arsenal, and West Ham could get something from Man U.  As long as both don’t get points from those games we’re in with a chance if we beat Everton.   If they both win those games it really doesn’t matter what happens when they play each other, as they’ll probably be out of reach anyway.

Id rather have Watford beat West Ham. That way it’s fewer teams in the relegation fight but 2 ties and a win is all we need versus 2 wins. West ham won’t get anything against Man U unless they play U23s but Watford could get something against Arsenal so gimme West Ham. Then it all comes down to us against West Ham on the final day.

In terms of Bournemouth I could see them stealing points from Everton but they aren’t getting anything from a hot Man City and Southampton. Luckily in this scenario, if they beat Everton it won’t be enough to catch us.

10 hours ago, skell said:

I'd rather play A West Ham team who are safe and dont  care about the result and have Watford who will be on 34 points  playing Arsenal, and us on 33 or 34 or 36 needing to equal or better their result. 

I would rather play WHam when the result matters to both of us. Its our game then. Not hoping for our result and that of others 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Id rather have Watford beat West Ham. That way it’s fewer teams in the relegation fight but 2 ties and a win is all we need versus 2 wins. West ham won’t get anything against Man U unless they play U23s but Watford could get something against Arsenal so gimme West Ham. Then it all comes down to us against West Ham on the final day.

In terms of Bournemouth I could see them stealing points from Everton but they aren’t getting anything from a hot Man City and Southampton. Luckily in this scenario, if they beat Everton it won’t be enough to catch us.

I've made a few posts in the Relegation and/or Premier League threads so I won't go into too much detail here, but I'm not sure there's too much argument for favouring a Watford win over a draw. Although that scenario does allow us to only pick up 1 or 2 points from Everton and Arsenal and still have a chance to catch West Ham, if they lose to Man Utd of course. Getting only 1 point in the next 2 games would require us to overturn a large GD by beating West Ham by 5 or 6 goals.

So again, it's hard to make a conclusion about the preferred result between West Ham and Watford, and it actually should change depending on how we do against Everton, and it depends if you prefer things to be in our own hands by beating West Ham, or if you would rather assume that Watford will lose against Man City and Arsenal (dangerous to rely on that last day result IMO).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Davis was absolutely god awful when he came on.

A season playing full time in the Championship would do him some good.

Oh, hang on, looks like he will be getting that now.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We can’t rely on other teams to keep us up, we have to do it ourselves, we’ve made a great start, let’s hope we can keep it up 

Its already too late for this, we need Watford, West Ham and Bournemouth to drop more points than us.  

11 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

I disagree. 

Palaces 'goal' should not have been disallowed for handball, but should have for the foul on Reina, so they got it right for the wrong reason.

Jack should be ashamed of himself for that penalty appeal, threw himself to the ground when he might have scored.  Was him that stood on the defender.  Great call by VAR.

They got little wrong throughout for me.

Bruno Fernandes got a pen against us for a similar thing not saying what jack did was right but modern players look for any type of contact in the box for penalties, but because were villa the decision was over turned 

• Like 1

Â