Who you hold accountable?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you hold accountable?

• Smith
    • Purslow
    • Suso
    • The players

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/07/20 at 15:01

4 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

That friend of my Nan's who gave me a villa badge when I was about 6 yrs old....it's HIS fault. 

That was the moment you were chosen. The best day of your life my son and don’t you forget it. 

P.S. It may not always feel that way...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What was susos succes pre villa? Anyone have any idsa? He seems to have been a utter disaster here.

a few La Liga titles with Valencia and built the start of the Atletico team that Simeone took on

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What was susos succes pre villa? Anyone have any idsa? He seems to have been a utter disaster here.

there is a good quote somewhere from benitez about suso when they were both at valencia.

Went something like "I asked him to buy me a sofa, and he bought me a table lamp".

Pretty much sums it up tbh :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I still don't really know why we didn't keep Chester. Would rather have him playing now instead of Hause. 

he is having a nightmare at Stoke at the moment

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

there is a good quote somewhere from benitez about suso when they were both at valencia.

Went something like "I asked him to buy me a sofa, and he bought me a table lamp".

Pretty much sums it up tbh :P

yet they won the league that season 🤔

maybe Rafa wanted to bring in Voronin or something like that

25 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I still don't really know why we didn't keep Chester. Would rather have him playing now instead of Hause. 

Because he's not the player he was 2 years ago, I wouldn't have him when we are back in the championship.

Although I wouldn't mind him on the coaching team in some capacity.

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yet they won the league that season 🤔

maybe Rafa wanted to bring in Voronin or something like that

to be fair I don't think our purchases were thst bad overall.

I think our biggest issue were the players we didn't sign, we needed 3 more players probably to be competitive.

I think the elephant in the room may be Wes Edens. He has consistently expounded his views on statistical analysis and seems to firmly believe that football has a lot to learn from the NBA. Now I’m not for a moment about to start a Wes Out campaign and I’m not saying he is entirely to blame, but it always concerns me when owners, no matter how good their intentions, interfere with sporting matters. 

I’m not saying he is wrong and I believe that statistics have a huge roll to play in modern football. But I think that they should be used as an important tool and not as a philosophy. We shouldn’t get caught up with dogmatic policies like not using loan players and always looking to buy for future value. A few older players with perhaps little sell on value but who could have helped us hit the ground running may have kept us up. That in itself would have added a huge amount of value to the whole club. I’m not pinning that on Wes, it could have come from anyone or a few different people. But whoever came up with it, it hasn’t helped us. 

As I've said before we have inexperience all over the club from the top down. It’s a learning curve and we’ve had some painful lessons, but hopefully we’ll learn and make the necessary changes to take us forward. 

41 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Really? Chester was class in the championship 2 years ago; he then had a serious injury which he played through the pain barrier because of our inept manager at the time not buying any defenders, he’s also not the tallest or best in air. He’s a legend yes but not the answer at all. Hause after a dodgey start is actually turning in to a decent player, he wins everything in the air in both boxes, granted he doesn’t do much but he still wins it. He’s probably been along side Luiz the only player to have any kind of credit since project shitty restart.

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think the elephant in the room may be Wes Edens. He has consistently expounded his views on statistical analysis and seems to firmly believe that football has a lot to learn from the NBA. Now I’m not for a moment about to start a Wes Out campaign and I’m not saying he is entirely to blame, but it always concerns me when owners, no matter how good their intentions, interfere with sporting matters. 

I’m not saying he is wrong and I believe that statistics have a huge roll to play in modern football. But I think that they should be used as an important tool and not as a philosophy. We shouldn’t get caught up with dogmatic policies like not using loan players and always looking to buy for future value. A few older players with perhaps little sell on value but who could have helped us hit the ground running may have kept us up. That in itself would have added a huge amount of value to the whole club. I’m not pinning that on Wes, it could have come from anyone or a few different people. But whoever came up with it, it hasn’t helped us. 

As I've said before we have inexperience all over the club from the top down. It’s a learning curve and we’ve had some painful lessons, but hopefully we’ll learn and make the necessary changes to take us forward. 

Liverpool owners work on statistics, same with Brentford

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Curious to see who everyone blames for where we are? 

With our pending relegation who do you blame and why for the mess we are in?

All of the options

Every one of them has performed poorly this season. 

17 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Really? Chester was class in the championship 2 years ago; he then had a serious injury which he played through the pain barrier because of our inept manager at the time not buying any defenders, he’s also not the tallest or best in air. He’s a legend yes but not the answer at all. Hause after a dodgey start is actually turning in to a decent player, he wins everything in the air in both boxes, granted he doesn’t do much but he still wins it. He’s probably been along side Luiz the only player to have any kind of credit since project shitty restart.

Not saying he is the answer. But my statement is a testament to how awful I think Hause is I guess.

Blame goes to:
15% Bruce creating a legacy squad of loan players, retiring oldies, crocks and having developed zero youth.
10% Edens for not firing Smith when we still had a chance of staying up!
25% Suso bringing in a bunch of untried, inexperienced expensive players from outside the league (did we learn nothing from our last relegation) and completely wasting the January window to try and put things right
30% Dean for not pushing for at least one more striker (and any other signings Suso conned him out of), for not making subs at the right time (instead of when we are losing), for making Grealish captain when he just isn't captain material. For putting too much faith in Mings and McGinn. For having zero plan B, zero improvements from half time talks, unable to coach the right mentality and steel in the team.
20% The players for consistently underperforming and bottling it.

I don't think a single player comes out of this season deserving an award.
Most improved Douglas Luiz
Performed ok to well in around 10 games - Grealish, McGinn, Targett, Mings (not the same ten games)
The rest put in about two good performances each, if that.

There is not one facet of the current set up be it players, managers, coaches, scouts etc etc. That should be retained after this season's abomination.

Edited by VillanousOne

It's hard to justify giving the blame to just one of the options, each have played a part. And i find it a tad ridiculous that previous regimes have played a major role in this by leaving the squad pretty thin and are not an option. 

The topic’s title talks about accountability, whereas the first post talks about blame. The two are not the same.

Dean Smith, as manager, is clearly accountable. That’s how it works in football - the manager is responsible for results and for getting the best possible performance from the players.

But I don’t “blame” Dean. He is a nice bloke who was appointed to a job that was beyond anything his past experience had prepared him for, and he has inevitably fallen short. I’m sure he has done his best but there are so many factors at our club that make the managerial job really tough. We need to appoint someone who has more of a chance of dealing with the issues.

• Like 1

Â