Champions League Quarter Final/Semi Final Draw

andykeenan

Bayern are incredible, no one will want to play against them. But, if Mbappe is fit, against that high line defence, him and Neymar would fancy their chances. 
That game was nuts, if anything Barcelona should have been 2-1 up, but then I’d Bayern carried on with the intensity, they could’ve had 8 by half time. 
Barcelona needs complete rebuild. Why buy Griezmann? Defence is clearly a priority. What’s happened to Umtiti?

They need to sell Griezmann while he's still an asset. It's clear it's not working out for him. A team like Arsenal or Spurs should be monitoring that situation. Chuck 80-100m at Barca and everyone wins in that scenario (except for Griezmann himself maybe).

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Assuming it’s City that go through if they try and play from the back the way Pep insists I can see them also coming unstuck stuck against Bayern. This team is relentless. 

Hopefully Pep is clever enough to tell the team not to even bother with that. 

Messi's attitude stank last night to me. He's never exactly tracked back but when his side were getting humiliated he loses the ball to Lewandowski and doesn't even bother trying to get it back. He also left Semedo constantly exposed by just walking around the pitch when Barca weren't in possession. 

Bayern were brilliant though and you can see why they're favourites to win the CL. I've always liked them, they play great attacking football but also play with passion and they don't tend to spend stupid amounts of money on players. They're also very good at nurturing young talent. 

Will be a very intriguing match against City that's for sure. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Bayern are incredible, no one will want to play against them. But, if Mbappe is fit, against that high line defence, him and Neymar would fancy their chances. 
That game was nuts, if anything Barcelona should have been 2-1 up, but then I’d Bayern carried on with the intensity, they could’ve had 8 by half time. 
Barcelona needs complete rebuild. Why buy Griezmann? Defence is clearly a priority. What’s happened to Umtiti?

Injuries, he's never fit.

And apparently he is currently sick with Covid-19 and had to be isolated from the squad. He was out of the game anyway due to a knee injury but still.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Injuries, he's never fit.

And apparently he is currently sick with Covid-19 and had to be isolated from the squad. He was out of the game anyway due to a knee injury but still.

Todibo was the Barcelona player who tested for corona 

37 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Messi's attitude stank last night to me. He's never exactly tracked back but when his side were getting humiliated he loses the ball to Lewandowski and doesn't even bother trying to get it back.

He's looked like that for years methinks. He is an exceptional player and probably next to Maradona the best there have been in this game, but he's looked entitled, lazy and without hunger for a long time. Guess being the best in the world for 10 years does that to you. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Todibo confirmed it himself 2 days ago

Well then I guess they both have it?

Absolutely plausible that the media outlets got them mixed up since they are both French but Umtiti was the one they ran with yesterday in all the papers.

Edited by sne

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He's looked like that for years methinks. He is an exceptional player and probably next to Maradona the best there have been in this game, but he's looked entitled, lazy and without hunger for a long time. Guess being the best in the world for 10 years does that to you. 

Has been an issue for a while for Messi, he rarely grabs the game by the neck especially since Iniesta and Xavi left Barcelona. He can get away with it 85 percent of the time because of his talent but Barcelona continually fall short in big games. Roma, Liverpool, Bayern last 3 eliminations have been shameful 

Barcelona record in away European games in recent times is dismal. 

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Serge Gnabry couldn't get a game at West Brom ahead of James McClean 😂😂😂

It’s amazing is many players struggle in English football then do very well on the continent in much better teams. 

58 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s amazing is many players struggle in English football then do very well on the continent in much better teams. 

Patience. Premier League managers are reluctant to give young players a chance, similar for Sancho even when Jack burst through Lambert wouldnt give him a start

West Ham, Southampton and United are probably the 3 teams that consistently give youngsters a shot. 

Culture and language might also be an issue. But since a lot of PL clubs can just throw money on the next big thing year after year they don't have to nurture their signings. Just buy a couple new ones.

Chelsea letting Salah and De Bruine go looks terrible in hindsight, but who knows, they might not have become as good had they stayed at Chelsea.

Think the buy back clause that Barca always use will become more common in England as well.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He's got too much influence at Barca and knows he can do what he wants because of how good he is. He basically runs that club I think and it's all very political, probably one of the reasons Barca aren't what they were. 

I reckon the best thing for Barca is to sell Messi and try and start again. They may get worse before they get better but that's what they have to do. A lot of their stars are past their best and need replacing, and they have never been the same since Xavi went who for me was a great, great player for them. 

Â