Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/20 at 22:59

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I really hate Man U

If i had the chance of letting them go out of existence i wouldn't hesitate a second.

Agreed.

As long as they're a close second to small heath.

7 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s just back from a serious injury, be patient with him 

It would have helped had McGinn not gorged on Pukka Pies as part of his recovery regime.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chappy said:

Obvious fuming about the injustice of the penalty but have woken up and thinking about it, feel more angry about our lack of reaction to it (Luiz and Taylor aside) - surely a decision like that is a spark for us to show some grit?

You're right, although I think this is where the absence of a crowd has been most telling, not only for us but for the others down the bottom. 

Moments like the pen, like Luiz passing to a stationary McGinn daydreaming about his next deep-fried Mars bar, like Trez running around like a mad-dog trying to close down while the others just stand and watch....these are the moments where the crowd, either through encouragement or opprobrium, will spark a reaction from the players. Without the crowd you're left with the raw abilities of the individuals on show and we know that's not a contest we're ever going to win.

• Like 2

A quick read through the match thread and this thread and it looks like this was another game that I should not feel sorry for skipping.

At least I got my bet on Manure being gifted a penalty in.

43 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Thank goodness I was out and completely missed this. Did we at least manage a shot on target?

Yep, and hit the post before they got gifted the pen.

Not too our credit that we crumbled second half but we looked good for a while, were unlucky not to be one up and then that decision killed us mentally. That's a big problem but it's also true, had Trez's shot hit the other side of the post, the ref not had a brain fart along with VAR then giving Greenwood too much space would have meant 1-1 at half time and game on. I'm sure Smith isn't saying stuff like "don't close them down, if you do stop 2 metres short and give them some room" but 2 of the goals were precisely that. The only way to avoid going down now is to win 3 of 4. Not likely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yep, and hit the post before they got gifted the pen.

Not too our credit that we crumbled second half but we looked good for a while, were unlucky not to be one up and then that decision killed us mentally. That's a big problem but it's also true, had Trez's shot hit the other side of the post, the ref not had a brain fart along with VAR then giving Greenwood too much space would have meant 1-1 at half time and game on. I'm sure Smith isn't saying stuff like "don't close them down, if you do stop 2 metres short and give them some room" but 2 of the goals were precisely that. The only way to avoid going down now is to win 3 of 4. Not likely.

same story ALL season  - we were unlucky with the PEN but basically  defensively again shocking. I love Jack to bits but he didn't have a good game last night and should have been subed if nothing else to keep him fresh for Palace. 

17 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I said it the day we got promoted. Some of the signings we went for (allegedly) were saying like "who is Dean Smith?". I said he will be our biggest limiting factor. When Douglas Luiz pulled the ball back to Hourihane that passage which followed is what typifies the coaching by him and his staff. The Man United kid Williams didn't give Connor a millimetre. We close down sometimes but still give them a foot of space and wait for them to do something. We were being out passed in the championship under him. It's mentality and it's programming.

Rafa Benitez programmed his Newcastle team to be hard to beat because he knew he didn't have the best players. He would constantly talk about football with them and how to improve. He worked extremely hard on fitness and strength with them. And against the top 6 they gave good accounts of themselves and still got some impressive wins. When Houllier came here he was shocked at the pathetic fitness of our players and the standards being set generally around the club. That's why the old boys brigade hated him. 

The target was to be in the premier League for the 20/21 season regardless of which division we are in this season. Target failed. Make a decision move him on. Dean Smith needs time out of the game to grieve for the tragic loss  he suffered. It really takes it out of you. Unfortunately we are a business and don't underestimate the the impact of relegation. It's set us back. Today felt like relegation I've said for a while we're down but today it feels like confirmation. 

They gave up. Even if they walked off and forfeited the game I could stand by them because the corruption is disgusting. But they gave up. The United defence is awful. They were getting at Wan Bisaka. But they gave up. A decision like that would have spurred me on. But they gave up.

Thats been the case all season, we are "stand off" experts....they have the odd flurry, but it doesn't last long......but to do it effectively as a group, which is what you have to do, (one player doing it is no good), you have to be super fit.....our lot look as flat as a witches tit, John McGinn looks like he is on a "mars bar" diet....how is that discipline? its a gross dereliction of duty.

I think it is mentality and programming, but the manager leads the way.....players do mirror the manager......Watch Pep talking on the pitch, he is like a tic - tac man at a racecourse and he gets every players attention, they are glue....in contrast, ours walk around like a gaggle of geese, totally unattentive.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

Thank goodness I was out and completely missed this. Did we at least manage a shot on target?

Grealish nearly hit his best volley yet off his left. Trez also very nearly gave us the lead but was millimetres off.  

Enthusiastic start which showed promise but atrocious finish. I'd prefer to say United put in the hard work that determines who gets over the finishing line first.

But they strolled it on account of us limping to the 90th minute, reluctantly almost.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Grealish nearly hit his best volley yet off his left. Trez also very nearly gave us the lead but was millimetres off.  

Enthusiastic start which showed promise but atrocious finish. I'd prefer to say United put in the hard work that determines who gets over the finishing line first.

But they strolled it on account of us limping to the 90th minute, reluctantly almost.

sadly true.

The shocking penalty decision drained our belief and desire.....well prepared and programmed sides don't do that.

and the last line is true......we went down on one knee metaphorically speaking and they punished us.

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

sadly true.

The shocking penalty decision drained our belief and desire.....well prepared and programmed sides don't do that.

and the last line is true......we went down on one knee metaphorically speaking and they punished us.

When shit like that should really have the opposite effect.

I mean get **** angry lads! Kick the shit out of them.

A couple of red cards isn't going to make much difference in our current situation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

When shit like that should really have the opposite effect.

I mean get **** angry lads! Kick the shit out of them.

A couple of red cards isn't going to make much difference in our current situation.

Its not in them.....its not been bred in to them.

when do we get a red mist ( only with each other) or a flash a scuffle or anything emotive.....we are passive and opponents know it onlt too well.

• Like 1

The most frustrating thing for me was the manner of the goals.

The first goal yet another VAR mistake.

The second goal one of our key and supposedly influential defenders (Mings) not closing down the ball when Greenwood shot. Not for the first time this season he just stood there too deep to close down the shot coming in. Show some determination!

The third goal our club captain half heartedly closing down the shot from Pogba and turning his back on the ball.

What a shambles when our leaders show no leadership qualities.

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

same story ALL season  - we were unlucky with the PEN but basically  defensively again shocking. I love Jack to bits but he didn't have a good game last night and should have been subed if nothing else to keep him fresh for Palace. 

Thats it though isn't it?  Any player can make mistakes that concede goals, like Reina rushing out and missing his kick, Engels doing the same.  But both players have only done that once.

Closing players down constantly and consistently is some that can easily be coached into even the most talentless of players, but DS and JT couldn't drill it into this bunch, assuming they have tried.

There are so many things that we get wrong every game that have nothing to do with ability, but everything to do with coaching, that leaves me wondering if we doing anything at Bodymoor at all.

The coaching staff clearly have not got the ability to drill a team, or inspire, or motivate.  

Complete clearout required in the backroom staff,. And I mean complete.  Don't keep any 9f them, because we clearly don't coach correctly at any level.

• Like 2

Â