Super Sunday 

Burnley v Sheff Utd 12pm SS2

Newcastle v West Ham 2pm SS2

MOTD 2 10.30pm

Championship 

Swansea v Sheff Wed 12pm SS3

Middlesbrough v QPR 2pm

Albion v Hull 

Blimey so League 1 doesn't exist then? Didn't take us long to get back into Premier League mentality. 

For a moment I thought Fleetwood were sponsored by the Queens Bank until I realised that Coutts was one of their players. 

Aye, Bournemouth have gone.  Poor results, contract disputes and the hardest run in (on paper at least) so it's goodnight Vienna for them.  Pretty pleased we don't have inferior goal difference anymore, but how long will that last?   

Last spot is between ourselves, Watford and West Ham.  Other results keep going for us, and the points dropped vs Sheffield United and Newcastle might prove fatal.  West Ham still have to play Watford before they play us, so someone is dropping points there but I'm still really worried we will get spanked by Liverpool and an in-form Manchester United. 

• Like 1

This might come as a shock to some, but Bayern Munich completed the league and cup double in Germany today. That's the 11th time they've done it*.

*since the year 2000.  

Bristol City manager Lee Johnson has been sacked after a run of poor form that culminated with Saturday's 1-0 defeat at home to Cardiff City.

Couldnt have happened to a nicer bloke 😂

15 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Someone here last week commenting we should be after players like Pulisic.

**** me. The guy is an outrageous talent.

Hes got to be by far the best talent to come from the USA

1 minute ago, TreeVillan said:

Now West Ham are beating Newcastle I think the teams we're competing with in relegation are getting fewer and fewer. 

Did you see the goal? Wont see a worse piece of defending all season........Almiron just ties it up!!! 

2 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

Did you see the goal? Wont see a worse piece of defending all season........Almiron just ties it up!!! 

I'm hoping I jinxed it and that I haven't just reversed the jinx by saying this. I'm genuinely scared that we're falling behind more teams. Don't want to go into the race with just Watford.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Hes got to be by far the best talent to come from the USA

He is at the moment, certainly, but there's a core of promising young players coming through that bodes well for the future. Gio Reyna (son of Claudio) at Dortmund is showing signs of that level of natural talent and certainly as good a pedigree as possible for an American; Timothy Weah has shown glimpses when not injured (but he's almost always injured); Weston McKennie and Tyler Adams (at Schalke and Leipzig, respectively) have adapted seamlessly to the Bundesliga and will be the core of the American midfield for a decade; Sergiño Dest at Ajax is being scouted by the heavyweights (Barcelona, PSG, and Bayern) at left back; and we have a mix of experience (like John Brooks at Wolfsburg) and emerging talent (like Chris Richards coming through at Bayern) at centreback. But in terms of world-class talent and the ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck, Pulisic is definitely preeminent among American players at the moment. He's special and will get better.

As an aside, I can't see any of these players coming to a club like Villa, as much as I'd like to see it, except perhaps McKennie, who would be a huge coup if we were to stay up. He lacks a certain amount of discipline at the moment (he's been played as everything from striker to centreback at Schalke, while his natural position is as a box-to-box midfielder), but he has the grit and hustle to grow into the centrepiece of a strong midfield. Schalke are anticipating a firesale due to financial difficulties as well as an on-field implosion since the new year, and McKennie has expressed a desire to move to the Premier League. I've seen him linked to Newcastle, but no one else just yet.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Now West Ham are beating Newcastle I think the teams we're competing with in relegation are getting fewer and fewer. 

Hopefully in it when they play Watford and out of it when they play us 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamieZ said:

He is at the moment, certainly, but there's a core of promising young players coming through that bodes well for the future. Gio Reyna (son of Claudio) at Dortmund is showing signs of that level of natural talent and certainly as good a pedigree as possible for an American; Timothy Weah has shown glimpses when not injured (but he's almost always injured); Weston McKennie and Tyler Adams (at Schalke and Leipzig, respectively) have adapted seamlessly to the Bundesliga and will be the core of the American midfield for a decade; Sergiño Dest at Ajax is being scouted by the heavyweights (Barcelona, PSG, and Bayern) at left back; and we have a mix of experience (like John Brooks at Wolfsburg) and emerging talent (like Chris Richards coming through at Bayern) at centreback. But in terms of world-class talent and the ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck, Pulisic is definitely preeminent among American players at the moment. He's special and will get better.

As an aside, I can't see any of these players coming to a club like Villa, as much as I'd like to see it, except perhaps McKennie, who would be a huge coup if we were to stay up. He lacks a certain amount of discipline at the moment (he's been played as everything from striker to centreback at Schalke, while his natural position is as a box-to-box midfielder), but he has the grit and hustle to grow into the centrepiece of a strong midfield. Schalke are anticipating a firesale due to financial difficulties as well as an on-field implosion since the new year, and McKennie has expressed a desire to move to the Premier League. I've seen him linked to Newcastle, but no one else just yet.

You rate Josh Sargent much? Scored a couple for Bremen this season although still got lots of development as a forward to gain. Does seem a promising batch coming through for US now. Home world cup in 2026 so should be capable of a good showing.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

You rate Josh Sargent much? Scored a couple for Bremen this season although still got lots of development as a forward to gain. Does seem a promising batch coming through for US now. Home world cup in 2026 so should be capable of a good showing.

Yeah, I think the jury's still out on Sargent. He's definitely shown glimpses, but Werder Bremen are essentially the Villa of the Bundesliga, so he's been starved of service and has had to go in search of the action whenever he's been on the pitch. He's industrious for sure, and he's got plenty of time to grow as he's only 20, but I'm not sure we've seen enough of him and under the right conditions to know whether he's capable of becoming a consistent scorer at the highest level. I have high hopes as an American as we're in dire need of a reliable striker, but that means we're also quick to anoint anyone who shows a bit of potential as "the one".

• Like 1

Remember Bobby Wood being talked about a few years ago due to him scoring a few goals in Bundesliga but hasn't progressed from that. Surprised he's still at Hamburg as haven't seen him in any of their recent line ups.

• Like 1

Â