U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

14 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

@HanoiVillan - didn't mean any of that to sound like a critique of you personally or what you said, just that it was great evidence of an insidious problem. The bit I was hoping to focus on was the fact that Trump talks a lot, and what he says usually has an element of truth. Where he's had a surface-level win, 99.9% of people will remember the win in absolute terms, rather than what actually happened days, weeks or months later as a result of that decision.

Human beings are generally terrible at taking a long view on anything (we're just not geared to think that way) and we tend to view a lot of actions in a very transactional way that doesn't take into account downstream effects (Mexicans out = more jobs for Americans!).  It's really not helped by a 15 minute news cycle and social media where anything can be made more exciting, more sensational - and context or nuance are boring. 

I honestly don't know what the answer is - at this point I'm just a guy shaking his fists at clouds - but if I could put a button next to every Facebook post, Tweet or news story that Googled "what the post says" + "hoax" I would.

Obama was the king when it came to perception vs reality.

It's funny imho (in that kind of way), how people criticize Trump's base in light of the obvious contradictions like above and then in the very next sentence go on to eulogize Obama. Pot and kettle, though of course the pot is evil and the kettle is good. Good old post-modernism.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Why make shit up?

Four posts in this topic mention Obama, you wrote two of them

Errr, it's just context. Much of the political discussion is centered on comparison of the current dark days to a more pleasant past. I don't decide what the media pundits decide to blather on about (a week analyzing the hell out of the numbers 7 & 2 would have been my choice).

Just now, villakram said:

Errr, it's just context. Much of the political discussion is centered on comparison of the current dark days to a more pleasant past. I don't decide what the media pundits decide to blather on about (a week analyzing the hell out of the numbers 7 & 2 would have been my choice).

No. It's a reply to someoe else's post, a post that doesn't mention the previous president. The person talking about him in this topic is...?

Just now, bickster said:

No. It's a reply to someoe else's post, a post that doesn't mention the previous president. The person talking about him in this topic is...?

Yes, a discussion about Trump saying this and that regarding certain manufacturing plants and then acting differently. What I say vs what I do. Obama's rhetorical abilities bare comparison here, particularly w.r.t. the 2008 campaign.

46 minutes ago, villakram said:

Obama was the king when it came to perception vs reality.

It's funny imho (in that kind of way), how people criticize Trump's base in light of the obvious contradictions like above and then in the very next sentence go on to eulogize Obama. Pot and kettle, though of course the pot is evil and the kettle is good. Good old post-modernism.

I agree that there are plenty sticks to beat the Obama administration with, but I think you'd be better served by mentioning a couple if you want to compare and contrast.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

What I say vs what I do. Obama's rhetorical abilities bare comparison here...

They’re politicians, it’s what they do.

I’ve done a little reading up on a couple of them. Turns out Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan they all had a bit of a tendency to say and promise one thing and deliver the polar opposite.

Trump is on an utterly different personal agenda.

• Like 1

So the Fox News doctor Dr. Siegel did not ask if there was lung damage, did not ask when the last time was that Trump tested negative, did not ask Trump about coming back to The White House and gasping for air after climbing a flight of stairs, did not challenge Trump when he said he didn't have trouble breathing the day he went to Walter Reed and also didn't ask if Trump is still COVID positive. Not really asking the hard questions there was he. Then again it's Fox so...

Oh, and come to my 2000 people garden party at the White House.

Edited by sne

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Did you see what he sent? It was along the lines of "I want to roll over and kiss you"

Sexts is sexing it up somewhat

Yeah, nothing explicit but not exactly family values or god christian either I guess.

No where near as bad as Anthony Weiner. 

2 hours ago, sne said:

Can always count on the Democrats to f**k it up

Wasn't this all news about two weeks ago?

Edit: in the time since this news broke his poll lead has increased from seven points to ten.

Edited by ml1dch

Â