U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

20 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Blimey Keith Lemon has let himself go a bit. 

This guy actually looks like you could slather him with BBQ sauce and slowly smoke him. Look at his snout!

48 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

We are in the worst times.

The Brexit campaign knew how to win but not what to do after.

The Remain campaign didn't know how to win but they knew what to do after 

One for another thread of course, but I would *strongly* dispute the bolded.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

One for another thread of course, but I would *strongly* dispute the bolded.

What I mean, is if Remain had won, then it likely wouldn't be as big a clusterfook as it is now.

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

What I mean, is if Remain had won, then it likely wouldn't be as big a clusterfook as it is now.

Yes and no IMO. I mean our relationship with the EU would probably be less of a problem, but we'd just have finished year 5 of George Osborne paring back every possible bit of public expenditure to nothing. (My frank opinion is that the worst Tory government was the Cameron 2015/2016 majority)

Anyway, I'm taking us off topic so I'll stop. We certainly agree that 'Brexit is bad'.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I feel a bit uncomfortable with this tbh. Yes, he’s talking bollocks and immediately after they can have their say. Having the media decide not to broadcast it as it’s not accurate leaves me a little uneasy.

I think it was the right thing to do. He was spreading falsehoods with the sole intention of stirring up his fanbase. They're already causing trouble because of this "voter fraud" nonsense he's spewing. Police in Philadelphia even uncovered a plan to attack a building where ballots are being counted.

It's several years too late, but they're finally showing that they're not going to put up with his bullshit anymore.

Edited by Greenfly
  • Like 2

I don't feel uncomfortable at all for cutting Trump's lies in his press conference. There is one thing to bend the truth or have an agenda, but to brazenly attack the entire democratic system and also implicitly stoke up potential unrest, the networks had only one choice. The sooner he is flushed down the toilet of history the better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

How many of those kids do you think will grow up thinking that was actually Trump? And if they were to see footage of the actual Trump, would they even realise that wasn't him?

306 votes is 57% of 538, meaning Joe Biden will actually win a disproportionatly large share of the EC, but obviously a much fairer outcome than Trump winning the same share with a minority of the popular vote. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So the pollsters finally got something right after all. 

To be fair, 538 have been saying for six months that Biden would probably win and that Pennsylvania would most likely be the tipping point state. And were still saying that at the start of the week. 

And it looks like they'll probably have it right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

Overall, polls and predictions weren’t horribly off. 

Mixed bag IMO.

• National polling average (presidential) was roughly +8, gonna end up roughly +5 = not bad.
  • State polls (presidential) varied between pretty close to the actual result (eg Minnesota, New Hampshire), pretty close but the wrong result (North Carolina), medium off and wrong result (Florida), far off and right result (Iowa, Ohio, Wisconsin)
  • Senate and House races were average-to-poor, way off in some senate races (eg. Iowa, Maine)

At the end of the day, polling depends on turnout models; the more unusual the turnout, the further off the polling is going to be. I think the polling correctly saw the huge wave of Dem enthusiasm, but largely missed the nearly-equally-massive wave of GOP enthusiasm.

• Like 1

Â