Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

It doesn't makes sense because we will have a completely different team if we go down, it'already pretty much a different team to the one we had last time in the championship. If you're going to ask how are we going to cope without Grealish for intents and purposes you might as well ask how we're going to score goals without Benteke or defend without with McGrath. There will be different players including new players that will be brought in to provide creativity, different gameplan to suit those players, different division and possibly a different manager and coaches.

1 minute ago, useless said:

It doesn't makes sense because we will have a completely different team if we go down, it'already pretty much a different team to the one we had last time in the championship. If you're going to ask how are we going to cope without Grealish for intents and purposes you might as well ask how we're going to score goals without Benteke or defend without with McGrath. There will be different players including new players that will be brought in to provide creativity, different gameplan to suit those players, different division and possibly a different manager and coaches.

Yeah a team with no creativity.

The recruitment have to be good.

Just now, useless said:

But that wasnt the point about adding players.  The point highlighted was mcginna nd hourihane alone are good enough so we wont have to worry without grealish.

I think if we have to rely heavily on a plyer like hourihane we are going to struggle. 

My view is Luiz and mcginn first choice cm pairing with either nakamba or another cm inserted there. Conor for me would be a squad player.

We certainly will have to strengthen better in the wide areas as el ghazi trez and jota have generally been inconsistent to pretty shit

Well no one has said that we're going to be relying on Hourihane and McGinn, I wouldn't even have Hourihane as a first choice, I think we need to have as many players in the first eleven that can potentially also play in the premier league as possible, just pointing out that they provided a lot of creativity the last time we were in the championship.

I believe we should be able to at least reach the playoffs with adding 3-4 players. I also believe AEG is good enough for the Championship. Samatta and Wesley should be able to do a good job as well, but they are still unproven, and it would be madness to expect promotion without a proven striker. I would also add a creative midfielder to our shopping list. 

Heaton

Guilbert    Konsa   New CB   Targett

AEG   Luiz   McGinn   Naka/Houri New winger

Samatta/Wesley/Barry/New striker

It doesn’t have to be a big rebuild this time, and hopefully Luiz and McGinn will stay as well. Financially it’s not the right time to sell them. Luiz is just showing his potential and no one will pay what we want for McGinn right after his injury, and the owners should realise that as well. 

14 hours ago, messi11 said:

Wesley 98 rated Fifa card coming in FIFA 21 when he bangs in 20 Championship goals next season 

Think we have to remember he's had a very serious injury that he's still recovering from. Unlikely he'll be fit for start of the season.

Let's remember Kodjia was proven championship striker for Bristol and us and was in the best scoring form of his career when he got injured at Blackburn. Then came back and got another injury playing internationally the next season. Despite scoring a few here and there he was never the same force and obviously wasn't rated by the manager for the premier league.

Seems a bit odd to be pining our promotion hopes on a striker who probably won't play until October and then won't be up to full fitness until December. Personally if we had a better pool of strikers I'd loan him out for a bit to at least get him into some sort of form.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If not for Jack we would be 20th now.

Last season we won 2/12 games when he was injured.

What about 17/18 when he was out injured up to around January yet we were just below top 2 when he returned?

IF we managed to hold on to a few of our better players, and could field a starting eleven like this:

Heaton

Guilbert    Engels   Mings    Targett  

Hourihane  Nakamba  McGinn   

El Ghazi         Samatta     New Attacker

Then I think we’d have a side that would be in the top one, two or three in the Championship depending on which sides go down. 

To be fair I think we’ll lose the better players, but think Mings might stay out of a bit of loyalty, McGinn probably hasn’t shown enough to get a big club after him, and the others probs aren’t going to have too many suitors. 

Edited by alreadyexists

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

IF we managed to hold on to a few of our better players, and could field a starting eleven like this:

Heaton

Guilbert    Engels   Mings    Targett  

Hourihane  Nakamba  McGinn   

El Ghazi         Samatta     New Attacker

Then I think we’d have a side that would be in the top one, two or three in the Championship depending on which sides go down. 

To be fair I think we’ll lose the better players, but think Mings might stay out of a bit of loyalty, McGinn probably hasn’t shown enough to get a big club after him, and the others probs aren’t going to have too many suitors. 

Would be useless coming up with those players, they don't have the bottle to stay up. We need a team that can gel together and play good football together and know each other. This will take time, the team needs gutting again and it will take time to get the team back up, plus new manager is required

Looking back over the last ten seasons before this one, of the thirty teams that have been relegated, West Ham United, Queens Park Rangers, Norwich, Burnley, Newcastle twice, and West Brom, are the only teams to have come straight back up.

Our situation is tricky, I don't think we can just keep things mostly as they are and expect to suddenly start winning games in the championship, the rot has already set in, this idea of keeping the same side minus Grealish and maybe one or two others won't work, but at the same time if you make too many changes that can have a detrimental affect either. I  think the best bet would be to bring in five or six players and bring in a new coach with fresh ideas.

But then again if the likes of Mings, Luiz, McGinn, El Ghazi and some of the others decide that they don't want to play in the championship we wil probably need to sign more than five or six. One adavantage of being in the championship is that it will be a lot easier to build a team down there and develop a style of play in that division.

11 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Really hoping someone buys Targett too. Can’t go into the championship with him in there. 

Targett was very good at championship level. One player we need to keep. 

11 hours ago, supermon said:

Would be useless coming up with those players, they don't have the bottle to stay up. We need a team that can gel together and play good football together and know each other. This will take time, the team needs gutting again and it will take time to get the team back up, plus new manager is required

That team doesn't need gutting. Not at all. It needs development by adding in the right players. There's a core of players that will do well in the Championship that we can add to. And of course we'll add to them. If/When the inevitable happens, I don't feel we're in as bad a position as last time.

Edited by Rolta

1 minute ago, useless said:

Looking back over the last ten seasons before this one, of the thirty teams that have been relegated, West Ham United, Queens Park Rangers, Norwich, Burnley, Newcastle twice, and West Brom, are the only teams to have come straight back up.

Our situation is tricky, I don't think we can just keep things mostly as they are and expect to suddenly start winning games in the championship, the rot has already set in, this idea of keeping the same side minus Grealish and maybe one or two others won't work, but at the same time if you make too many changes that can have a detrimental affect either. I  think the best bet would be to bring in five or six players and bring in a new coach with fresh ideas.

But then again if the likes of Mings, Luiz, McGinn, El Ghazi and some of the others decide that they don't want to play in the championship we wil probably need to sign more than five or six. One adavantage of being in the championship is that it will be a lot easier to build a team down there and develop a style of play in that division.

As Rafa would say ..facts !

The concept its easy to come back up is completely bewildering it really is.Last time we went down we spent Millions brought in 3 strikers who has scored shedloads , had Terry and Jedinek both exp PL on huge wages and Bruce a manager who had gotten promoted numerous times and we still failed.When we did come up its becuase we had 1)Jack 2)Could afford to pay 50k a week to loan Tammy from Chelsea.

As you say the Rot as set in , the same as last time just because we will go to a lower level league you can't suddenly install confidence and gel a team when you are going to have to rebuild.Again it will be much like last time , we will have players like Jack who want to go or teams want to buy but will drag it out meaning we ourselves can't buy anyone. 

People are also hanging on to UEFA suspending FFP , thats not the EFL version they have said nothing yet so we could well find ourselves in trouble - and we can't flog the stadium again to get round it 

Feels bad coming on this thread but coming to terms with it day by day, and with VAR decisions like last night, no crowds, extra subs ETC, it may not be as bad as we think.

I honestly don't think we would need a complete overhaul and I feel it would be the wrong thing to do - I would keep Smith and review the situation in December and see where we are in the league. If we are fighting for automatic (which we should be) then continue as we are.

I can see why fans want him out, maybe I'm clouded by the fact he's one of us - I just think personally he has been a victim of his own success and maybe we got promoted a year too early - Anyway that's for another thread.

If we do go down, I hope we can keep the likes of Heaton, Mings and Luiz. Basically sell Jack (which is inevitable) only. I get this is a tall order, but whether we are in the top tier or the second we are still a HUGE football club and have wealthy owners. I hope we can really set the tone for the season with some strong words and actions that we will be back. If Luiz and Mings go we just need to find some good replacements, I don't mind whether it be the loan market or players that have done it in the premier league or championship as long as they are the right fit for AVFC. 

I think we have a core of players that are good enough for the Championship but replacing Jack is going to be key. He was obviously the difference and why we are currently playing in a division above. I would like to see him being replaced by 2 or 3 different players. We need to change the mentality of being sole reliant on one player and gel a team to not just compete in the Championship but (hopefully) the Premier League in 2021-2022. I hope we can get the likes of Buendia, Eze (QPR) and Swift (Reading) to give us some real attacking impetus. I'd take Lolley, at 27 he's not past it, and you know he would run himself to the ground for the cause. He wouldn't be a starter but around the squad. I'd take Grant from Huddersfield too. We need pace up top and need strengthening in that area. And I would hope we can get a couple of loans from Premier league / Foreign buys that are right for us. Get a solid defence, a lot of creativity, players working hard for each other, good team spirit and a 20+ goalscorer and you are pretty much in a place to succeed.

When would the new season start? Has it been released yet?

Hopefully the quick turnaround will make us less likely to lose players.

If we could sell Grealish and Mings for a good amount and reinvest £40-£50m of it on 4 quality players (Winger/ST, AM,CB,CM) I think we'd be in a good position

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoughboroughLion said:

When would the new season start? Has it been released yet?

Hopefully the quick turnaround will make us less likely to lose players.

If we could sell Grealish and Mings for a good amount and reinvest £40-£50m of it on 4 quality players (Winger/ST, AM,CB,CM) I think we'd be in a good position

first week of September 

Keeping heaton konsa luiz and mcginn is key for me. The new spine of the team

Keep targett, keep along with wesley. Id keep jota as he has proven he can do it at Premier League level.

El ghazi trez elmo taylor nyland samatta lansbury can all go

Â