Who is your front three?

Demitri_C

For me (from early 90s to now):

Yorke - Benteke - Grealish 

Would need to have Carew as backup though, cus I always loved Carew.

Also liked milosovic for all his faults.

Angel was also a fave of mine for that one prolific season he had.

Liked Merson too :)

I have zero love for gabby, personally I think he was a talent that never developed, and the last 5 years he was just treating us like a cash cow, total waster imo.

Edited by MaVilla

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He was the best young striker in the country under MON

Sorry I forgot Wayne Rooney wasnt as good as Gabby!  🤣

Claret & Blue tinted glasses wont save you on this one....

(Rooney born October 1985 and was at Man Utd when MON was manager of Gabby born October 1986 at Aston Villa so about the same age) 

Aside from that Walcott had just been brought by Arsenal for a fee rising to 12m, a couple of years later Man City brought Robinho who was the same age as Gabby.  Before that, Robin Van Persie was a few years older than Gabby but was flying at Arsenal.  Those are just off the top of my head and I've checked their ages and they were much better than Gabby.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

I think Gabby was better than Walcott at that point, and Robinho is 3 years older which counts for a lot when we're talking about Gabby being 20-23. An extra 3 years at that age is massive. 

He was definitely up there as one of the most promising young strikers in the country. The best young striker though? No, clearly not.

And obviously, it was all downhill from there. Some of that was his fault, but a lot of it wasn't. He'd certainly have scored a lot more if he wasn't thick as shit, and if he trained as hard as he partied, but you can't blame him for the team gradually being dismantled and him being played out on the wing a lot.

Edited by Davkaus

40 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Sorry I forgot Wayne Rooney wasnt as good as Gabby!  🤣

Claret & Blue tinted glasses wont save you on this one....

(Rooney born October 1985 and was at Man Utd when MON was manager of Gabby born October 1986 at Aston Villa so about the same age) 

Aside from that Walcott had just been brought by Arsenal for a fee rising to 12m, a couple of years later Man City brought Robinho who was the same age as Gabby.  Before that, Robin Van Persie was a few years older than Gabby but was flying at Arsenal.  Those are just off the top of my head and I've checked their ages and they were much better than Gabby.

I read your post first and then saw the name of the poster, I wasn’t shocked, you seem to disagree with me everything on here. You seem to target almost every one of my posts. 

I think Agbonlahor was an underrated player for us particularly during the MON years. He was often played on the wing and never moaned, he just got on with his job. MON got the best out of him, as Zatman rightly said he’s our leading Premier League goalscorer. 

In your post, you’re comparing Agbonlahor to world class strikers. I never said Agbonlahor was world class, he was just a good Premier League striker

18 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I read your post first and then saw the name of the poster, I wasn’t shocked, you seem to disagree with me everything on here. You seem to target almost every one of my posts. 

I think Agbonlahor was an underrated player for us particularly during the MON years. He was often played on the wing and never moaned, he just got on with his job. MON got the best out of him, as Zatman rightly said he’s our leading Premier League goalscorer. 

In your post, you’re comparing Agbonlahor to world class strikers. I never said Agbonlahor was world class, he was just a good Premier League striker

1) Apologies if you feel that way but I didn’t think Bannan was that good, RHM wasn’t good and Gabby wasn’t the best young striker in the country.  If that puts me at the opposite view to you over the years then I can’t help that.

2) Gabby had his fair chance upfront.  Also given we change strikers every couple of years during our premiership time, no wonder Gabby has our all time PL goal scorer.  In his total he scored 75 goals in 341 games, that almost 1 in 5 which is poor.  Yorkie score 73 in 231 games and probably played more games in midfield because of his early days.

3) You were the one who was comparing to other strikers when you said 

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He was the best young striker in the country under MON

so surely that includes young world class strikers in the country?

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

1) Apologies if you feel that way but I didn’t think Bannan was that good, RHM wasn’t good and Gabby wasn’t the best young striker in the country.  If that puts me at the opposite view to you over the years then I can’t help that.

2) Gabby had his fair chance upfront.  Also given we change strikers every couple of years during our premiership time, no wonder Gabby has our all time PL goal scorer.  In his total he scored 75 goals in 341 games, that almost 1 in 5 which is poor.  Yorkie score 73 in 231 games and probably played more games in midfield because of his early days.

3) You were the one who was comparing to other strikers when you said 

so surely that includes young world class strikers in the country?

If you have an opposite opinion to me then you are probably on to something, some of the corkers I’ve come up with over the years.

I agree that we persevered with Agbonlahor and we rewarded to a degree with him becoming our leading Premier League goalscorer. We didn’t win any trophies when he played with us but we came close with us getting to the league cup final and semi final of the Fa Cup Final in 2010. I’ll always remember him fondly, I loved how he linked up with Ashley Young, James Milner and co, it feels like a long time ago now :(

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

For me (from early 90s to now):

Yorke - Benteke - Grealish 

Would need to have Carew as backup though, cus I always loved Carew.

Also liked milosovic for all his faults.

Angel was also a fave of mine for that one prolific season he had.

Liked Merson too :)

I have zero love for gabby, personally I think he was a talent that never developed, and the last 5 years he was just treating us like a cash cow, total waster imo.

The thing is grealish isnt a striker either was merson. Ill probably do a midfilder one some point next week for that.

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Yorke Benteke Saunders 

Would love all three playing together in their prime. We wouldn’t be struggling for goals to say the least. 

Gabby wouldn’t be anywhere near the bench. 

Anyone of them three would qalk in our front three. Hell even baros would get in our team

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is grealish isnt a striker either was merson. Ill probably do a midfilder one some point next week for that.

Anyone of them three would qalk in our front three. Hell even baros would get in our team

yeah not "strikers", but really modern day players who play in a front 3 are kind of.......hybrid type strikers/wingers/attacking midfielders who have the full package? (ie: can do what strikers do, but also what wingers/AM types could do when the roles were more defined 10 years ago.

Is this a front 3 or top 3? Top 3 from that list Bent, Benteke and Yorke. Front 3 from that list hast to be Saunders Atkinson and Benteke. 

For pure comedy Helenius Bowery and balaban.

Edited by Sulberto21

On 28/06/2020 at 22:41, Sulberto21 said:

Is this a front 3 or top 3? Top 3 from that list Bent, Benteke and Yorke. Front 3 from that list hast to be Saunders Atkinson and Benteke. 

For pure comedy Helenius Bowery and balaban.

Id say front three.

For me its not as easy as it seems. I would have yorke definitely as he was sensational for us.  Big dion i mean he acored 5 goals in his first two games. He wss unbelievable for us. Then im torn between carew/tekkers and bent.

Id probably go carew.  I loved him

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Carew 🙄🙄 great guy and all but not really as great as the hype of his personality 

More of a cult hero like Hutton than a legend some say he is 

Yeah there is a element of truth in that. Carew i ahve a soft spot for him so thats more my heart than my head. But he did make a massive contribution towards us. I think he was better than angel and Saunders 

Â