History equalled today

BOF

I'll leave the match report and ratings to others, but I would like to give you some other (more historical) reasons as to why this afternoon's result is significant.

Today equalled Aston Villa's largest ever top flight victory in English football. The first and only other time we have won 6-0 away in the top flight was on March 14th 1914 when we beat a certain Manchester United 6-0 at a new stadium they were calling 'Old Trafford' on the way to a 2nd place finish in the league behind Blackburn Rovers.

It is our largest victory in the top flight since we beat Wimbledon 7-1 in the 94/95 season at Villa Park.

Indeed the last time we had a bigger victory at any level in the league was on the 14th of November 1959 when we had a frankly ridiculous 11-1 victory over Charlton Athletic on the way to promotion that season from the old division 2.

You have to go back to the 12th of September 1931 to find a bigger top flight victory, when we thrashed a destined-to-be-relegated Grimsby Town 7-0 at Villa Park on the way to a 5th place finish.

Other notable facts include -

It's the first time we've won by at least 6 and kept a clean sheet since we beat Hull City 6-0 in the old 2nd division in the 74/75 season.

It's the first time we've won 6-0 away from home in the league at any level since we beat Oldham in the old 3rd division in 71/72.

It's the first time we've scored at least 6 away from home in the top flight since we beat Fulham 6-3 in the old first division in the 65/66 season.

It is the first time we've won by at least 6 and kept a clean sheet in the top flight since we beat Portsmouth 6-0 at Villa Park in the 52/53 season.

And as mentioned previously, it is only the 2nd time Villa have won 6-0 in the top flight away from home.

So there you are. As fixtures go, in the grand scheme of things, this was a pretty important day for Villa. Quite apart from giving us a huge boost going into a very big local derby it gives the historians something to shout about.

BOF

Well, we've done it before, but I'm not sure if this was the last time;

30.10.1887 -H Wednesbury Old Athletic 13-0

Hodgetts 3

Loach 2

Davis

Hunter 3

Brown Alb 3

Burton

Perhaps Mr Lerwill might know if we had six scorers against casuals in the FA Cup in 1891?

Hodgetts 3

Loach 2

Davis

Hunter 3

Brown Alb 3

Burton

Perhaps Mr Lerwill might know if we had six scorers against casuals in the FA Cup in 1891?

John was probably there :winkold:

Hodgetts 3

Loach 2

Davis

Hunter 3

Brown Alb 3

Burton

where do you get those stats from?

28.11.1914 -A Liverpool 6-3

Stephenson C

Edgley

Hampton H

Barber

Bache

Wallace

We've done this more often than I'd have thought.

30.01.1929 -A Clapton Orient 8-0

Waring 3

Swales

Dorrell

York

Cook

Beresford

FA Cup replay that one, we drew the home game nil nil!

Try and find the scorers for our match against Charlton (11-1) in 1959. That's certainly a contender for having 6 different scorers.

Right then, just so as I can get a bit of closure:

1946 was the last one, but it was an FA Cup game, played over two legs in a season without a league championship. We won the first leg 4-2 and then the second on 30th January 1946 9-1 vs Milwall with six different scorers.

The previous one in 1929 was also in the cup (and also on the 30th January) in an 8-0 win against Clapton Orient.

In the league, you have to go back to the 28th November 1914 in a 6-3 victory against Liverpool.

So, Saturday was the first time Villa have had six scorers in a game for 62 years, and the first time in the league for 94 years.

Thank you and Goodnight.

Â