New Manager...

AvfcRigo82

Next managerial appointment should be...  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Next managerial appointment should be...

• Arsene Wenger
    • Chris Houghton
    • Sam Allerdyce
    • Maurico Pochettino
    • Sean Dyche
    • Manuel Pellegrini
    • Tony Pulis
    • John Terry
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Ernesto Valverde

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/20 at 22:59

Just now, Mjvilla said:

The same manager relegated in his first season in the prem league who was given a chance to build something even after relegation. 

I guess you can produce an example of a pocket of failure for every manager outside the top 6 in every league in Europe......but I don't remember him having funds we have been giving managers recently.

What do you see in the future with Dean, that I maybe missing?.....What do you think he will be doing, to try to keep us up?...are we just sleep walking to Relegation? With a notion that something will happen to spur us in to a win to avoid it.

What really is the attraction to keeping Dean?.....more of this? Or a turnaround that has little foundation.

I can tell you, we have parted with managers in the past with far less of a poor record? What are we now hoping for as a club?

just interested to know what you want?

2 hours ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

Not in terms of net spend.

19/20 negative net spend £8m.

18/19 negative net spend £25.5m.

17/18 negative net spend £8.5m.

Their model is always very similar, bring in more than you spend, the summer just gone was very much in line with 17/18.

I mean clearly in terms of net spend this year was the most they've spent out of your examples there

Also they signed players like Pontus, a player in his prime that likely won't go up in value, its completely against their usual model of signings unknown youngsters to resell for £20m to us a year later. It was solely to have a crack at promotion this year and is not comparable to the team Smith managed. It's like comparing man city managers pre and post takeover and saying "well they both managed man city", the conditions are so different they may as well be different teams. 

9 minutes ago, weedman said:

I mean clearly in terms of net spend this year was the most they've spent out of your examples there

Also they signed players like Pontus, a player in his prime that likely won't go up in value, its completely against their usual model of signings unknown youngsters to resell for £20m to us a year later. It was solely to have a crack at promotion this year and is not comparable to the team Smith managed. It's like comparing man city managers pre and post takeover and saying "well they both managed man city", the conditions are so different they may as well be different teams. 

Smith could be given 60 million at Brentford and they would still struggle defensively.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, weedman said:

By £500k, clearly immaterial. Pontus was a different type of signing yes, after he phoned them as he knew his Leeds career was over and wanted to move there and they agreed with him. Vast majority of their signings were under 23 even summer just gone, but the new head coach has got them a lot better organised defensively than they were previously, which has been key.

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

If we stay up - I'd put a sneaky bet on Wenger - yes he's ancient, but don't our new owners have a bit of a thing for Arsenal of old? If we down - god knows. 

There's no chance sir. Absolutely none.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

They did, but is that any different to previous years when likes of Egan, Hogan, Jota, Harlee Dean, etc. have left and needed to be replaced.

I get your point but imo Brentford would still be a mid table club had Smith stayed on. Mainly due to his defensive struggles. 

Frank has taken them to another level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

If we stay up - I'd put a sneaky bet on Wenger - yes he's ancient, but don't our new owners have a bit of a thing for Arsenal of old? If we down - god knows. 

Hasn't he said he wouldn't want to manage v Arsenal?

I'm sure in the two years since he's left Arsenal he's had serious offers but seems happy to just be taking on the Fifa role now which surprises me.

I feel, certainly in my lifetime...…. the best managers Villa get are the most pragmatic ones, the bigger personality who can handle the club and the crowd...……… Im taking Ron Atkinson, GT, Little/Gregory and ONeill

I feel we need this kind of personality as they "Fit"

If we go down, I wouldn't be against ONeill coming back or a Big Sam if we stay up...……….. might not be the most glamorous,  but think they could handle the club

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

thats to continue with a poor defence is it?lol

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Smith could be given 60 million at Brentford and they would still struggle defensively.

but he wasnt and again he didnt sign the players

19 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

I feel, certainly in my lifetime...…. the best managers Villa get are the most pragmatic ones, the bigger personality who can handle the club and the crowd...……… Im taking Ron Atkinson, GT, Little/Gregory and ONeill

If we go down, I wouldn't be against ONeill coming back or a Big Sam if we stay up...……….. might not be the most glamorous,  but think they could handle the club

I wouldn't want O'Neill anywhere close to the bull ring, never mind Villa Park......Sam, admire some aspects of him but others not so much, I guess after a season of poor defending, I could be seduced for a short period.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

The same O'Neill who flopped at Forest and before that Sunderland. The same O'Neill that doesnt let his full backs pass the ball inside because its not old school

I have heard shocking suggestions but that is the tip. Im sorry

2 hours ago, TRO said:

My choice would actually be Sean Dyche, but no doubt that would not fit the spectacle that some crave.

Sean Dyche makes a lot more sense than those calling Eddie Howe.

Dyche has done a much better job results wise than Howe despite having less resources to work with.  Howe has been heavily backed by the owner where Dyche is being undermined and kept on a short financial leash.

Would Dyche be the man to take us further not sure.  Might be a bit like ONeill whose ceiling was 6th despite spenmding huge amounts of money.  Depends if he could grow himself to cope with the higher status of player you would need to break through.