New Manager...

AvfcRigo82

Next managerial appointment should be...  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Next managerial appointment should be...

• Arsene Wenger
    • Chris Houghton
    • Sam Allerdyce
    • Maurico Pochettino
    • Sean Dyche
    • Manuel Pellegrini
    • Tony Pulis
    • John Terry
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Ernesto Valverde

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/20 at 22:59

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I very much assume the club is approaching some ridiculous targets - Pochettino etc - and likely getting knocked back. If one of them says yes we can cut Smith loose and go for them. But let’s not sack Smith then start a recruitment process. Big clubs always have the man lined up before any change for obvious reasons - then you are comparing apples and apples when you make the decision.

Personally I would doubt we are making approaches. From Smith's departure I would say it would be at least 3 weeks before we have a new manager in place.

Gallardo tipped to  be the new Barca coach. There is no chance in hell he would come here.

Jesse Marsch is the most realistic option if we want good, attractive football.

Hughton and Dyche would be underwhelming.

48 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Gallardo tipped to  be the new Barca coach. There is no chance in hell he would come here.

Jesse Marsch is the most realistic option if we want good, attractive football.

Hughton and Dyche would be underwhelming.

I think the next appointment will underwhelm a lot of people. And has been said it might not at first glance appear much of an upgrade.

However with Smith's stats and beaten demour of the players make a risk not to change.

I think a lot could depend on if we intend to keep Suso. If the intention is to appoint a proper DOF to run the football side and coordinate the football men with the money men, then he should probably come in before we make decisions regarding the manager/head coach. 

I believe that Suso is just head of recruitment, the hope being that his contacts would do a similar job to Mendes at Wolves. Clearly that hasn’t happened. 

The appointment of the right DOF could well be the most important decision we make. 

Edited by DaveAV1

33 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

More people have voted for Allardyce than Wenger. I worry about the people on here sometimes.😄 

I suspect that shows realism rather than rating. Hell will freeze over before Wenger comes and manages us in the Championship, where as Allardyce might. 

Just as all those voting for Pochettino must know he won't come to us to manage in the championship. 

I don't think firing Smith is the best option, as someone mentioned, we can not continue to do hard-resets.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if we went for Dyche. We are clearly trying to create a team that plays more modern football, one of our biggest mistakes under Lerner and Xia was the constant changing of managers and styles, we went from playing long defensive football to attempting attacking fluid football and back and forth.

Even though the football hasn't been great this season, we all know Smith wants us to play attractive football, Dyche is the complete opposite. There are so many players in the team that would not fit a Dyche club and getting him would mean we AGAIN have to make a total re-build.

If we fire Smith, I pray that our board actually does some scouting and goes down the Wolves/Norwich route, and find someone not currently managing her, maybe a young upcomer. Most importantly, one that fits the style we want to create, so we don't have to build an entire new XI. Also one that is willing to give youth a chance and buy younger, if that is the route we want to go.

Dyche ticks non of those boxes

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I don't think firing Smith is the best option, as someone mentioned, we can not continue to do hard-resets.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if we went for Dyche. We are clearly trying to create a team that plays more modern football, one of our biggest mistakes under Lerner and Xia was the constant changing of managers and styles, we went from playing long defensive football to attempting attacking fluid football and back and forth.

Even though the football hasn't been great this season, we all know Smith wants us to play attractive football, Dyche is the complete opposite. There are so many players in the team that would not fit a Dyche club and getting him would mean we AGAIN have to make a total re-build.

If we fire Smith, I pray that our board actually does some scouting and goes down the Wolves/Norwich route, and find someone not currently managing her, maybe a young upcomer. Most importantly, one that fits the style we want to create, so we don't have to build an entire new XI. Also one that is willing to give youth a chance and buy younger, if that is the route we want to go.

Dyche ticks non of those boxes

I actually think our mistakes our down to poor recruitment of mangers.

My worry about Dyche is that all his achievements have been at once club...

I think we need results first - the style can come later - we've seen Smith abandon his style after a series of poor results - should he stay , what "style" does he start next season with.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

I actually think our mistakes our down to poor recruitment of mangers.

My worry about Dyche is that all his achievements have been at once club...

I think we need results first - the style can come later - we've seen Smith abandon his style after a series of poor results - should he stay , what "style" does he start next season with.

I do agree that we have recruited poor managers, just look at their records after Villa.

But look at the types we have had,

Martin O'Neill counter attacking to Houllier Short passing and possession based, to McCleish abomination of defensive football, to Lambert who attempted possession football, but it was a bit everywhere and nowhere, to sherwood a bit gung-ho, to Garde who tried possession football to Di Matteo, no idea what his philosophy was, to Bruce and his defensive counter attacking to Smith who has always played possession.

Every manager has at very least an input to who we sign, do you believe that Bruce would have signed all those strikers that Di Matteo signed?

Do you think Smith would have signed players such as Neil Taylor, Glen Whelan, Elmo, Samba and so on?

This means that every time we hire a new manager, they have to "clean out" what the previous manager did. This means we will always have a bomb squad and a lot of fringe players that will never play, but just eat at our budget. We will have players on big wages, that should be good, but just don't fit our football.

There is no way that Smith would not revert back to the style that got us promoted, this is the style he has always had. The reason we changed this season, is that the other style just wasn't working. He attempted the easier style, to see if it would save us, which it has not at the slightest. I'd rather a manager showing a bit of versatility and was willing to "abandon" his style for results, than a manager stubborn and unwilling to change styles. For me, kudos to Smith for attempting to change our style.

We have gone for managers that go for results first for so many years now, it doesn't work. It's a re-build every few seasons.

I'd rather we actually build something sustainable, an identity. People seriously underestimate the work Smith and co had to do this season, I am amazed at how people are reacting. We finished 5th in the championship last season, thanks only to a record breaking run, we lost our entire spine, and people expect us to do well in the Premier League. It's unrealistic.  

1 hour ago, Chicken Field said:

I do agree that we have recruited poor managers, just look at their records after Villa.

But look at the types we have had,

Martin O'Neill counter attacking to Houllier Short passing and possession based, to McCleish abomination of defensive football, to Lambert who attempted possession football, but it was a bit everywhere and nowhere, to sherwood a bit gung-ho, to Garde who tried possession football to Di Matteo, no idea what his philosophy was, to Bruce and his defensive counter attacking to Smith who has always played possession.

Every manager has at very least an input to who we sign, do you believe that Bruce would have signed all those strikers that Di Matteo signed?

Do you think Smith would have signed players such as Neil Taylor, Glen Whelan, Elmo, Samba and so on?

This means that every time we hire a new manager, they have to "clean out" what the previous manager did. This means we will always have a bomb squad and a lot of fringe players that will never play, but just eat at our budget. We will have players on big wages, that should be good, but just don't fit our football.

There is no way that Smith would not revert back to the style that got us promoted, this is the style he has always had. The reason we changed this season, is that the other style just wasn't working. He attempted the easier style, to see if it would save us, which it has not at the slightest. I'd rather a manager showing a bit of versatility and was willing to "abandon" his style for results, than a manager stubborn and unwilling to change styles. For me, kudos to Smith for attempting to change our style.

We have gone for managers that go for results first for so many years now, it doesn't work. It's a re-build every few seasons.

I'd rather we actually build something sustainable, an identity. People seriously underestimate the work Smith and co had to do this season, I am amazed at how people are reacting. We finished 5th in the championship last season, thanks only to a record breaking run, we lost our entire spine, and people expect us to do well in the Premier League. It's unrealistic.  

All maybe true - but rightly or wrongly managers are hired and fired on results.

A good manager will get the best of the players he inherits - and supplement them with his own.

Next season Im sensing the same turnaround of players whether Smith is replaced or not.

I don't think many people underestimate the task Smith and co had last season - but he did have £140m and he hasn't even come close to keeping us up - football management isn't easy - but IMO you don't keep failing managers on - sure one or two exceptions here and there - but with 0 wins 10 , probable relegation - there enough to suggest Smith will get the push.

I really would get hung up on an identity - there's winning and loosing - again a couple of managers "win horrible" - but buy and large if you're winning the supporters and the board are happy.

I don't really see what Smith is building here - it's not all on him sure - but for me there's no glimmer of better times ahead - other than his shortcomings might be less exposed in a lower division .

Read this on the Leicester forum. Not happy with Brendan

"I've seen enough. Not been able to stop the rot. Can't let it continue. Nice guy and when his tactics work it works well but has no other plan "

13 hours ago, theboyangel said:

People looking to Dyche should remember he was relegated with Burnley in their first season in the premier league but the club stuck with him and were promoted the following season. They haven't looked back since. 

Not saying it'll work out the same with Smith but doing a hard reset every season will take us nowhere if we want to build a consistent style of play and ethos. 

Touché 

• Like 1