New Manager...

AvfcRigo82

Next managerial appointment should be...  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Next managerial appointment should be...

• Arsene Wenger
    • Chris Houghton
    • Sam Allerdyce
    • Maurico Pochettino
    • Sean Dyche
    • Manuel Pellegrini
    • Tony Pulis
    • John Terry
    • Leonardo Jardim
    • Ernesto Valverde

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/20 at 22:59

8 hours ago, Adbo9 said:

what frustrates me is people back Smith and say "recruitment has killed him, theyre not his players" which personally I feel is a right cop out as he more than once confirmed he is involved at every step  on who comes in

if he cant be criticized when its going bad then surely the flipside is he cant be praised for when it goes well...…….. it doesn't work one way for me

Smith Out I say

It's not that "they aren't his players", it's that they're crap, and cost twice their value.

If Suso stays at Aston Villa past July I'll be very sad because we're totally ****. Don't want to think about the damage he'll do wasting the Grealish money. He's already lumbered us with plenty we can't sell for what we paid despite that being number 1 on the brief of his signings.

I don't know what Smith is meant to do given a choice of six players and they're all shit? We needed an entire squad. We had to sign minimum 10 players. He couldn't say no to everyone. He plucked Engels who he remembered from Brentford scouting the options for centre half were so bad!

Smith could easily get sacked, and yes, you can certainly argue he deserves it. He's been poor this season. It's likely he's not here when we start next season IMO.

Suso however should be thrown out the back door into the bins and told never to darken our doorway again. 

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I don't think I could disagree more. if he was a fan of Blues or Albion then he should go but as he is one of us he somehow gets a free pass for what he has achieved or not this season?

Who a manger supports is irrelevant to be 

That's fair enough. It reassures me that he's a fan as he will be as desperate for us to win for himself,  for his dad, as well as for his job and career.

The free ride was as much for the fact we were a complete sh*t show before he became our manager and he turned it around, as for the fact he's a fan. It just gives him a bit more leeway for me. Not enough on its own, but all counts

6 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Would you take a punt on Dyche ?

If we were Burnley, people would have wanted him sacked by now. 

Sticking with Dyche, even when down has allowed them to build as a team. Makes me want to give Smith an opportunity to bring us back up if we go down.

13 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Would you take a punt on Dyche ?

Would he take a punt on us? Difficult to see whats in it for him.

Why would he take the step down from Burnley to us? I cant believe I just wrote that, but thats where we are in 2020 :(

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wouldnt mind Pellegrini. Did well at city and has massive experience.  Ok didnt work out at west ham but Moyes is doing even worse.

All credibility lost with that statement

voted for Jardim, as someone who I personally would like and also seems reasonably attainable. 

Also, does JT have the actual badges to be given the job full time? IIRC, that issue arose around the time that Bruce was sacked and that he couldn't be considered for those reasons. 

• Like 1

I could make a good fist of spending the next 8 hours explaining why Pellegrini would be a terrible appointment but I have to go to work! Would rather Steve Bruce back with Remi Garde and Eric Black as his assisitants

I cant see Dyche appealing to the club, we are trying to get out of the overpriced British market and for some reason Dyche seems to prefer this type of player. I dont think he has ever signed a player that doesnt speak English

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I cant see Dyche appealing to the club, we are trying to get out of the overpriced British market and for some reason Dyche seems to prefer this type of player. I dont think he has ever signed a player that doesnt speak English

If we stay up he'd dive at the chance. Absolutely dive at it.

To be honest, I think he'd be interested even if we went down.

He's on an astronomical wage at Burnley, something like £4.5m a year, if we said yeah we'll match it I think he'd either ask Burnley to let him go or at least use it to get a new deal off them.

On 28/06/2020 at 22:55, avfc1982am said:

I can think of many reasons football related not to keep him. The most obvious imo isn't football related necessarily. It's rewarding failure.... You reward it, you accept it, you become it. 

The counter argument to this is not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I think the club should do what they think is best for the club. If they think Smith would get us up at the first attempt then he should stay. 

Whether a manager should keep his job should be about what he can do in the future, not what he's done in the past. Don't sack Smith because he failed in the Prem IF he can gets us up next season.

And by the way this works the other way. We also shouldn't keep Smith if we get promoted next season IF we think he'll get us relegated again. We shouldn't give a manager a crack at the Prem just for the sake of rewarding him for getting us promoted. He should keep his job if he's the right man to lead the club forward.

10 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Big Sam for me is a no brainer, he would get us doing the basics right first and foremost and then build from there into a  mid table established premier team then reassess. Not pretty but what we need 

I'd seriously consider taking a break from supporting Villa if we appointed Allardyce. Probably the most boring uninspiring appointments we could make. Almost pointless.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If we stay up he'd dive at the chance. Absolutely dive at it.

To be honest, I think he'd be interested even if we went down.

He's on an astronomical wage at Burnley, something like £4.5m a year, if we said yeah we'll match it I think he'd either ask Burnley to let him go or at least use it to get a new deal off them.

Like Howe at Bournemouth, no disrespect, Burnley have their ceiling. Not arrogance but our potential and i place great emphasis on that word is far greater than those two clubs. I don't think Dyche would suffer fools easy. Talk of Poch ? Really people, wind your neck in. Dyche would be interested in villa. I've no doubt about that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Zatman said:

I didnt say he lost his 1st 3 games because he didnt. They drew 1 and lost 2 and havent scored and have been struggling to even create chances. They havent even played a decent team yet. The Allsvenskan to the English League is a huge jump and Mellberg has less than 10 games experience in that division

One day he might be a good manager but its crazy to give him the job now or even think he is a contender except for nostalgia reasons. Graeme Potter managed 8 years in Sweden before a team in the UK saw that he had enough potential to give him a chance and that was mainly because they ran Arsenal close in Europa League

Tomato tomatoe, from what I understand is he did an outstanding first job, didn’t renew his contract, did his badges whiles having a break, took on the new job where he restructured the club and was offered the current job after 6 months, someone thought he was doing something right and I’ve read articles of some of the methods he implemented. No not a great start at the new club, yes a lessor league, but he was an international Class defender, played at some big clubs under good managers. How is he different to Lampard?? The only difference is he’s been given big opportunities while Mellberg taken a slower route and wanting to develop. You really don’t know if someone is up to the job until they are in the job. He obviously isn’t ready for the PL and may not even interested in coaching in England. But if we go down and if they sack Smith, I thought Mellberg was a different option to the normal talking heads.