Player Match Ratings: Hope is slowly but surely fading

John

Wolves last managed a league double against us in 1963. That they were able to do it again, so easily this afternoon, was nothing short of embarrassing. There was not a lot between the two sides during the first quarter, but the visitors became increasingly dangerous in the second and winning this game, was far too easy for them during the second half, when they were able to sit back and see the game out.  

We did not look like scoring at any time and one goal is usually more than enough to give our opponents three points, so it proved today. We did not create anything, we did not have any cutting edge or movement up front, dead balls were often miscued, and what crosses there were, did not trouble the Wolves defence at all. Our defence does look stronger of late, but a clean sheet is a rarity for us, and it always seemed inevitable that we would concede at least one goal today.

Two points from four games since the restart is clearly relegation form. Things would look even more bleak, if the teams that are around us were not treading water too. We cannot rely on our fellow strugglers continuing to be quite so obliging. Four games coming in such quick succession, was always going to be a real test for our squad. One thing that today demonstrated, is that we do not have the sort of squad from which, you can pluck players to be able to rest our regular first team starters and still expect to win games.     

We may not be mathematically down yet, but with only six games remaining and with Liverpool, and then Manchester United up next, we do look like we are going to need an awful lot of points from our last four games, to make any sort of fight of it. We have missed the encouragement of the fans at our three home games since the restart. What ever happened to the passion of the Villa team that beat both Everton and Newcastle 2-0 at Villa Park last year?          

Our realistic target at the start of this season was 17th place, it is now looking increasingly likely that we will not achieve that target. I am beginning to wonder if we might have done much the same this season, had we not replaced the bulk of the team that got us promotion last year. After all they did play as a team. As things stand, I would be more than happy, if we still had something to play for on the last day of the season!   

My player ratings from a game that increased our relegation fears and left PL safety slowly ebbing away from us, are:

Orjan Nyland – 3 – He once again demonstrated on the rare occasions he was tested, that he always has a mistake in him. Made an awful error on 42 minutes, that so very nearly gave Wolves a first half lead out of nothing. He shaped to throw the ball to the left, but somehow it slipped out of his hand straight to Jota on the edge of the box. Fortunately, Jota was as shocked as everyone else and hit a rushed shot from the edge of the box over the bar. Gathered a 19th minute Jimenez header at the near post at the second attempt. Beaten from the edge of the box by a Dendonker shot into the left-hand corner of his net on 62 minutes. How we are missing Steer and the assurance of Heaton.      

Ezri Konsa - 5 – Did well enough again in this role.  

Kortney Hause – 6 – Did well alongside Tyrone in the centre of defence but looked something less than a threat when in the other box.     

Tyrone Mings – 6 – Solid at the back.     

Matt Targett – Substituted on 11 minutes, having tweaked a hamstring in making a simple side footed pass. Not on long enough to merit any rating.              

Marvelous Nakamba - 4 – Either side of the first half drinks break, the ball bounced off him for an opponent to run clear to the right-hand edge of the box, fortunately we were not punished on those occasions. Sadly, some way off being “marvellous” again today.      

Conor Hourihane – 4 – Not even his dead balls were up to scratch today.                    

Douglas Luiz – 7 – MOTM – He did not do anything wrong and looks increasingly a comfortable PL player. Hit a shot a couple of yards wide of the post on the hour mark.          

Jack Grealish – 6 – If anyone was going to get us anything out of this game, it was going to be Jack. He was unable to do it against a well organised outfit. Had a low 37th minute shot from the edge of the box saved by Patricio, who was otherwise mainly a spectator.    

Mbwana Samatta – 5 – Did not look particularly sharp today, I was hoping to see more energy from him and for him play off Davis, which rarely looked like happening.                         

Keinan Davis – 6 – Worked hard and did hold the ball up at times. Playing with another striker made no positive impact on our longstanding lack of a goal threat, but they lacked any decent service today.                        

Substitutes:

Neil Taylor – 5 - Replaced Targett after 11 minutes. Did better than many of us, might have anticipated.   

John McGinn – 5 - Came on for Hourihane on 60 minutes. Time is running out for him to make a positive late contribution to our season, following his long absence.

Ahmed Elmohamady – 5 – Replaced Konsa on the hour. Did what we have come to expect well enough.

Mahmoud Trezeguet – Replaced Marvelous on 82 minutes. Not on long enough to earn any rating.

Anwar El Ghazi - Replaced Davis on 82 minutes. Did he touch the ball? Not on long enough to earn a rating, in any case.

Stay up Villa!

John Lewis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure on the comments re Nyland in particular, say missing Steer. Whilst he made some saves, he also put us under a lot of pressure. Let’s not forget even the playoffs where he was seen as a saviour for his penalty saves, his errors and distribution were only covered by Mings clearing off the line. 
For me Neither player is good enough. Agree we miss Heaton though 

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m not sure on the comments re Nyland in particular, say missing Steer. Whilst he made some saves, he also put us under a lot of pressure. Let’s not forget even the playoffs where he was seen as a saviour for his penalty saves, his errors and distribution were only covered by Mings clearing off the line. 
For me Neither player is good enough. Agree we miss Heaton though 

I would see Steer as the most reliable of the two at the moment, if fit. Heaton would clearly be first choice, if available. 

Nyland didn't have much to do today, but still got something very badly wrong. We can't afford to take the risk of conceding goals unnecessarily, when we struggle to score even one goal ourselves. Another, unforced error could cost us our PL place, if it's not already gone. Reyna lost his place due to an error, so I think Nyland's place comes into question for the same reason. Heaton's injury was a real blow and without him, I agree we're not spoilt for choice. 😕

Hi John I agree with most of your ratings but bit harsh on Nylands. The mistake he made was a bad one but he was trying to throw the ball out early but there was no movement. So was left with ball in his hands so long he messes up. We didn’t loose because of him. In fact he can’t be blamed for any of our dropped points on restart. Yes I agree his place is in question though 

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Hi John I agree with most of your ratings but bit harsh on Nylands. The mistake he made was a bad one but he was trying to throw the ball out early but there was no movement. So was left with ball in his hands so long he messes up. We didn’t loose because of him. In fact he can’t be blamed for any of our dropped points on restart. Yes I agree his place is in question though 

I think that we could very easily have lost because of that schoolboy error (my apologies to school footballers). The reason we didn't, is that Jota couldn't believe he'd thrown it straight to him and they were always likely to score one later in any case, if not then. I did wonder if I was being a bit harsh on him again, but then I thought about how I would have felt if that sort of unforced error, had actually cost us a precious point or two. It was just his good fortune, that it didn't this time. Many thanks for your thoughts on this and for taking the time to look at these ratings. :thumb:    

19 hours ago, John said:

I think that we could very easily have lost because of that schoolboy error (my apologies to school footballers). The reason we didn't, is that Jota couldn't believe he'd thrown it straight to him and they were always likely to score one later in any case, if not then. I did wonder if I was being a bit harsh on him again, but then I thought about how I would have felt if that sort of unforced error, had actually cost us a precious point or two. It was just his good fortune, that it didn't this time. Many thanks for your thoughts on this and for taking the time to look at these ratings. :thumb:    

Exactly there is no place for erros like this in any division let alone the premier league 

• Like 1

Â