VillaTalk Mario Kart Tournament

Demitri_C

Been meaning to set this up after a discussion with @Stevo985.

Lets get a villatalk mario tournament going. Who is up for it? Once we know numbers can arrange a date and time. Im thinking a sunday would be good like next week?

Only thing that sucks is that Nintendo dont have a talking facility like xbox and ps. Although can use discord i guess if we really wanted to

Who is in?

• Like 2

I’m in

I’ve used Discord to speak to people while I play on other games and it works fine. We should use that

Only issue is I’m not sure Sunday coming works for me. Would have to be late night

Edited by Stevo985

On 08/06/2020 at 13:25, Stevo985 said:

I’m in

I’ve used Discord to speak to people while I play on other games and it works fine. We should use that

Only issue is I’m not sure Sunday coming works for me. Would have to be late night

No probs what sort of tkme wss you thinking? All you guys am i friends with you on switch so i can host a room for this. 

Discord is very good ice used that in the past

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

No probs what sort of tkme wss you thinking? All you guys am i friends with you on switch so i can host a room for this. 

Discord is very good ice used that in the past

If it's Sunday would have to be 9pm at least for me.

Any other Sunday would be fine though. Just this one doesn't really work

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If it's Sunday would have to be 9pm at least for me.

Any other Sunday would be fine though. Just this one doesn't really work

Guess we could move it to following sunday.  Thats cool with me if that is with everyine else

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Guess we could move it to following sunday.  Thats cool with me if that is with everyine else

I could do Friday or Saturday this week (I think) if it works better for people.

Does anyone play much single player of this game? 

I've been playing a bit recently and I feel like it's really easy.

That's not meant to be a brag, I'm sure you guys will wipe the floor with me, I've played other real people before and it's far more even.

But vs the AI it's rare that I lose a race. In fact it's rare that I see any of the powerups because I'm always in the top couple of places where you only get shells or banana skins.

I don't remember previous Mario Karts being this easy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Does anyone play much single player of this game? 

I've been playing a bit recently and I feel like it's really easy.

That's not meant to be a brag, I'm sure you guys will wipe the floor with me, I've played other real people before and it's far more even.

But vs the AI it's rare that I lose a race. In fact it's rare that I see any of the powerups because I'm always in the top couple of places where you only get shells or banana skins.

I don't remember previous Mario Karts being this easy

It's too easy. My brother and I don't play the game anymore because there's no fun in being in 1st place for the whole race. Hoping this VT tourney rekindles our interest.Whereas Double Dash for example at 150cc is challenging and fun, you're in a constant battle with the AI and the speed of the tracks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's too easy. My brother and I don't play the game anymore because there's no fun in being in 1st place for the whole race. Hoping this VT tourney rekindles our interest.Whereas Double Dash for example at 150cc is challenging and fun, you're in a constant battle with the AI and the speed of the tracks.

Exactly. Not surprised it’s not just me. 

I’m playing through every GP on every cc trying to get 3 stars. Something I thought would take forever. But I’m up to 200 now and I’ve 3 starred everything prior to that and I reckon I only had to restart a GP on five occasions to get here. 

I am average at the game, it’s just really easy. 

• Like 1

God you

On 11/06/2020 at 20:12, Stevo985 said:

Exactly. Not surprised it’s not just me. 

I’m playing through every GP on every cc trying to get 3 stars. Something I thought would take forever. But I’m up to 200 now and I’ve 3 starred everything prior to that and I reckon I only had to restart a GP on five occasions to get here. 

I am average at the game, it’s just really easy. 

God you lot are gonna wipe the floor with me.  The question i have are you using the short cuts? I think those are crap and ruin the game

39 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

God you

God you lot are gonna wipe the floor with me.  The question i have are you using the short cuts? I think those are crap and ruin the game

I don’t think we will. It’s just that the AI is crap. Been playing some 200cc and that’s definitely more challenging but it’s still most of the race being spent in 1st and then just getting popped at the end!

I don’t really use any shortcuts to be honest. Maybe the odd one but I usually find they’re too hard to get consistently and if you mess one up then you lose more time than you gain. 

Drifting and mini boosts are the key to this game. Especially at the higher cc’s

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t think we will. It’s just that the AI is crap. Been playing some 200cc and that’s definitely more challenging but it’s still most of the race being spent in 1st and then just getting popped at the end!

I don’t really use any shortcuts to be honest. Maybe the odd one but I usually find they’re too hard to get consistently and if you mess one up then you lose more time than you gain. 

Drifting and mini boosts are the key to this game. Especially at the higher cc’s

Yeah drifting definitely helps once you master that. Thats the part i havent quite mastered. I think when you play in a group its harder as you get targeted by other players with red shells and that often isnt the case with the computer.

This sunday we doing this?

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah drifting definitely helps once you master that. Thats the part i havent quite mastered. I think when you play in a group its harder as you get targeted by other players with red shells and that often isnt the case with the computer.

Yeah exactly. Playing vs the AI, assuming you vaguely know the track, is usually first place by the first corner. Then a race of holding a banana skin or shell behind you to defend against any shells they might fire. 

You usually get one blue shell a race but you're normally far enough in front to get hit and recover while still being in the lead.

Then repeat step one until victory :D 

If you do get beaten it's usually being pipped at the last second.

Vs real people they're far more effective at keeping up with you and using powerups. The AI is shit at that

Recently got Crash Team Racing, now that game has a nice difficulty to it. It might be because I'm new but I'm having trouble even getting into the top 4 in most races on Medium difficulty. Really fun too and the mechanics are deep and rewarding. Pulling off a triple drift is difficult but so satisfying.

Â