Your favourite mobile phone

KenjiOgiwara

Nokia 5110 was my first so I liked that
Nokia 3210 was the best Nokia handset imo

Sony K750i was a fantastic phone and took cameras to a new level

Samsung D500 was a good slidey phone that I liked and was compact

Then nothing particularly memorable until iPhone in 2007. Then I had most iPhones since then, but have X now, not changed since 2018.

Edited by alreadyexists

Oooh what a question. No idea exactly how many i've had but i'd wager close to 70-80 over the years. Yet only 3 since 2009! Got a box of about 30 in my spare room. Mainly old Nokia phones. 

I used to hang around with a crew who worked at Vodafone on Broad St in the early 00's and we were always trading phones and selling them to each other. i guess I was a bit of a phone nerd back in the day! 

Standouts for me:

NEC DB2000 - my first phone. Loved it!

Nokia 6510 - the thinking mans 8310! I had an 8310 as well 

Nokia 6310i - the ultimate businessman's phone. I'm sure some are still in use today!

Nokia 7650 - the first multimedia phone I can recall... got it the first day it was released. It was a bit of a beast compared to phones at the time

Ericsson T28 - great little flip phone

Motorola RAZR - had the silver and black ones of these

Motorola V600 - beautiful looking phone. Had mine chrome plated and that made it look even better

SE K750i - great little phone but felt a bit cheap

SE S900i - a swivel phone. Good screen for the time I recall

Nokia 8910i - a 'prestige' phone but well built. Still have it on my work desk! Basic though

Since 2009 i've only had a iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S and iPhone 6S Plus

Overall though... the 6310i I think. 

I started out with a Motorola then Nokia.

Moved to a iPhone 3g in 2009 and i've had Apple phones ever since.

3G, 4, 5, 6, 6plus and now a 11 I purchased earlier in the year. I have a pay monthly contract of £5 pm with 8GB data, unlimited calls and texts.

Loved everyone of them and can't ever see me going back to Android.

On 06/06/2020 at 10:47, Genie said:

I remember a mate of mine paid £300 for a flip phone, on a contract, 20 years ago! 

I'm sure some of those premium Nokia phones like the 8910i and 8850 were about £400 on contract!

I'm just looking at my 8910i now (its a paperweight on my desk) and it beautifully made and solid. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/06/2020 at 22:02, Genie said:

I loved my Nexus 4, really premium feel and wireless charging 8 years ago! Battery went to shit eventually which was a shame.

I was changing android handsets every 6-9 months then went for first iPhone. Got a 6s and had it for 3.5 years, by far the longest I’ve had a mobile, it was brilliant and just didn’t show any signs of age. Got a new battery fitted by Apple for £25. My wife still uses it now. A quick trip back to android with Note 9 but was disappointed with several things about it. Back with iOS now with an Xr and like the 6s I don’t see myself swapping any time soon. 

I have had a couple of iPhones but have stuck with Android from when I had a HTC Desire and not looked back. I have an iPhone XR for work and have to say I really don't like it. Strangely my wife is an iPhone user and went from a 6plus to the XR and she hates hers too, but she cannot go to anything else as an is too invested in that eco system. iPad, iwatch, airpod pros.......

26 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I have had a couple of iPhones but have stuck with Android from when I had a HTC Desire and not looked back. I have an iPhone XR for work and have to say I really don't like it. Strangely my wife is an iPhone user and went from a 6plus to the XR and she hates hers too, but she cannot go to anything else as an is too invested in that eco system. iPad, iwatch, airpod pros.......

How often do you swap Android handsets out of interest. Most people I know that prefer that OS tend to chop and change handsets a lot (which I was doing too).

By the way, I sold my Xr and went to the X because it has the slightly smaller screen (5.8” versus 6.1”) and has the dual cameras. Also I was able to buy a new one for same price as I sold the Xr for so it was a no brainer.

34 minutes ago, Genie said:

How often do you swap Android handsets out of interest. Most people I know that prefer that OS tend to chop and change handsets a lot (which I was doing too).

By the way, I sold my Xr and went to the X because it has the slightly smaller screen (5.8” versus 6.1”) and has the dual cameras. Also I was able to buy a new one for same price as I sold the Xr for so it was a no brainer.

I used to change every 2 years when the Nexus brand was a thing. I have had a Pixel 3 for just under2 years and won't be changing that if the Pixel 5 doesn't have a fingerprint scanner.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bielesibub said:

Nokia 3210 - the first phone you could have in your trouser pocket without having the fear of sitting down and having a phone aerial stab you in the bollocks.

A brilliant design. 

20 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Stupid question but what do you mean by handsets? 

The handset describes the bit of a phone you pick up and speak into

_HANDSET.JPG

However, in mobile phone nomenclature, it just means the whole phone, as has been mentioned. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

See where I come from we just say a mobile phone without subscription.

You English sure make things easy for us up north 

We use 'sim free' as well

We just like to have thirty different ways to say the same thing! 

8 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Just means the phone. Quite often phones sold with no contract over here will be described as 'handset only'.

In Germany they call mobile phones a "Handy" as in " Ich habe mein Handy verloren" (I've lost my phone), or, er, "ich möchte ein handy haben" - I want to have a Handy" :)

Â