Most Overrated Player in History

Zatman

Its a bit of a big thing recently because blues icon Curtis Woodhouse said Ryan Giggs is very overrated.

I dont completely disagree with him but for me will always be Steven Gerrard. a great impact player but as mediocre a midfielder as you get and prone to a big error, that slip wasnt the only big **** up in his career for Liverpool or England

Gerrard was incredible for a couple of years and then overrated for many of them

Was largely shite in an infuriating Roy of the rovers role for England (love them ball playing CBs when Gerrard and Rooney dropped to the middle of our own half to collect the ball off them) 

To me he was the epitome of PL football, did everything at 100mph, flew in to tackles, smashed 70 yard passes, hit 35 yard bullet screamers... Got the "World class" and "walk in to any team in the world" guff... No he wouldn't, none of the other really top teams bar maybe bayern played a style that was anywhere near his

I also hated his "loyalty" and love for Liverpool after he turned down Chelsea, even if the threats stuff isn't true the huge payrise was (see also Terry, Rooney, Lampard... Proper pisses me off) 

I don't know if he's the most overrated of all time (I'd probably agree with Gerrard) but Rooney seems to be given a little too much credit for how good he was. Don't get me wrong, he was excellent and being England and Manchester United's all time leading scorer is no mean feat, but I saw a poll on Twitter where it was a head to head against Ronaldinho and too many people were saying Rooney was the better player at his peak which I found baffling. This is probably more an English thing than specifically a knock on Rooney. Lots of "just because he has a fancy Brazilian name and does tricks" comments. 

• Like 1

And for me personally it's been discussed at times here before but Cantona benefitted from timing and marketing, if he'd came in to the league after say Henry or Zola then I don't think he'd have half the love he gets

Also think this is hard to explain but bear with me... Ronaldo... As a PL player with 3 league titles, 3 cups, a CL and a ballondor... But he was so much better at Madrid, the Goat stuff and just how good he got, he wasn't that for the majority of his time at utd, saw a twitter debate in the week with utd fans claiming he was better at utd than Madrid because he was more exciting... I think the level he hit at Madrid blurs what he was at utd 

Its probably also not surprising that the players I think are overrated are Liverpool and utd players, their fans are insufferable, bring this thread back in a few years and VVD will definitley be in there 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

And for me personally it's been discussed at times here before but Cantona benefitted from timing and marketing, if he'd came in to the league after say Henry or Zola then I don't think he'd have half the love he gets

Also think this is hard to explain but bear with me... Ronaldo... As a PL player with 3 league titles, 3 cups, a CL and a ballondor... But he was so much better at Madrid, the Goat stuff and just how good he got, he wasn't that for the majority of his time at utd, saw a twitter debate in the week with utd fans claiming he was better at utd than Madrid because he was more exciting... I think the level he hit at Madrid blurs what he was at utd 

Its probably also not surprising that the players I think are overrated are Liverpool and utd players, their fans are insufferable, bring this thread back in a few years and VVD will definitley be in there 

I've been finding out how delusional United fans are, almost rivaling Liverpool. I used to think they were one of the more level-headed fans.

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Gerrard was incredible for a couple of years and then overrated for many of them

Was largely shite in an infuriating Roy of the rovers role for England (love them ball playing CBs when Gerrard and Rooney dropped to the middle of our own half to collect the ball off them) 

To me he was the epitome of PL football, did everything at 100mph, flew in to tackles, smashed 70 yard passes, hit 35 yard bullet screamers... Got the "World class" and "walk in to any team in the world" guff... No he wouldn't, none of the other really top teams bar maybe bayern played a style that was anywhere near his

I also hated his "loyalty" and love for Liverpool after he turned down Chelsea, even if the threats stuff isn't true the huge payrise was (see also Terry, Rooney, Lampard... Proper pisses me off) 

The 70 yard hollywood balls were mostly inaccurate too, was much inferior to Xabi Alonso in that role.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

The 70 yard hollywood balls were mostly inaccurate too, was much inferior to Xabi Alonso in that role.

He played in a midfield with Alonso and Mascherano and he was according to the media the best player in that midfield. Was embarrassing the hype, after he got 1 long range pass out of 15 it would be called a typical Gerrard pass, Alonso regularly made the pass and be a Gerrardesque pass by the rocket polisher Martin Tyler 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I don't know if he's the most overrated of all time (I'd probably agree with Gerrard) but Rooney seems to be given a little too much credit for how good he was. Don't get me wrong, he was excellent and being England and Manchester United's all time leading scorer is no mean feat, but I saw a poll on Twitter where it was a head to head against Ronaldinho and too many people were saying Rooney was the better player at his peak which I found baffling. This is probably more an English thing than specifically a knock on Rooney. Lots of "just because he has a fancy Brazilian name and does tricks" comments. 

It was short maybe only a season and half but Ronaldinho hit some really rare air. MAYBE even a higher level than Messi/Ronaldo, I think his absolute peak he was even a shade better than those two. Of course say if Ronaldinho hit 100/100 for a season that doesn't mean he's a better player overall than those two who have done 99/100 for about a decade. 

I never rated Rooney at truly World leading. He also looked half the player after about age 25. 

My grandfather in law always say Trevor Francis as when they were schoolboys he kept him out of the team 🤣

• Like 1

Gerrard overrated no-way. he scored 186 goals for Liverpool from midfield. Probably as good a box to box midfield player there has been.  This is a  difficult one because a player doesn't get to being great by media hype. You may not like him but that's a different story. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaJ100 said:

It was short maybe only a season and half but Ronaldinho hit some really rare air. MAYBE even a higher level than Messi/Ronaldo, I think his absolute peak he was even a shade better than those two. Of course say if Ronaldinho hit 100/100 for a season that doesn't mean he's a better player overall than those two who have done 99/100 for about a decade. 

I never rated Rooney at truly World leading. He also looked half the player after about age 25. 

My grandfather in law always say Trevor Francis as when they were schoolboys he kept him out of the team 🤣

Ronaldinho 2005/6:

24 goals / 26 assists

World Player of the Year (again)

Ballon d'Or

League / CL double

Standing ovation at the Bernabeu after unreal performance

I agree, very few players ever hit that peak. Unbelievable. He just wasn't dedicated to his craft and let himself go mentally and physically.

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Ronaldinho 2005/6:

24 goals / 26 assists

World Player of the Year (again)

Ballon d'Or

League / CL double

Standing ovation at the Bernabeu after unreal performance

I agree, very few players ever hit that peak. Unbelievable. He just wasn't dedicated to his craft and let himself go mentally and physically.

Probably the most enjoyable player to watch also at his peak. Pity he ended up being a supporter of the fascist and racist Bolsonaro in the end though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Probably the most enjoyable player to watch also at his peak. Pity he ended up being a supporter of the fascist and racist Bolsonaro in the end though.

I'm going to pretend I didn't read that 😢 

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Gerrard overrated no-way. he scored 186 goals for Liverpool from midfield. Probably as good a box to box midfield player there has been.  This is a  difficult one because a player doesn't get to being great by media hype. You may not like him but that's a different story. 

Compare him to his peers

Xavi, iniesta, Zidane, seedorf, pirlo, alonso, kaka, modric, sneijder, ballack, Figo, guti, kroos

Obviously Scholes and Lampard too

Is he even top half of that list? I don't think so, doesn't mean he's bad... But he definitely benefits from both the Liverpool and the PL factor, like I said he's the epitome of the PL, if you believe that to be the best in the world then you will believe the likes of Gerrard and Rooney to be world class... Personally I don't

Compare him to his peers

Xavi, iniesta, Zidane, seedorf, pirlo, alonso, kaka, modric, sneijder, ballack, Figo, guti, kroos

Is he even top half of that list? I don't think so, doesn't mean he's bad... But he definitely benefits from both the Liverpool and the PL factor, like I said he's the epitome of the PL, if you believe that to be the best in the world then you will believe the likes of Gerrard and Rooney to be world class... Personally I don't

Can't see a single player he's better than there. Maybe Ballack. Alonso showed him up in the same midfield. The best period of Gerrard's career was when he played in the hole behind Torres. As a midfielder there were better passers, defenders and even scorers (Lampard) than him.

I saw Ronaldinho play vs betis in the super cup final at the nou camp, the away game was stunning, pretty sure it was the game he used the middle of his spine to bring down a goal kick, the energy surrounding him is unlike any player I've ever experienced, the anticipation and drawing of breath l from the crowd, pure excitement... Barca lost the game but won the cup, he was incredible 

He'll take some beating as my favourite pkayer

Compare him to his peers

Not as skilful or as good a passer as many as those no but he had different qualities. Gerrard > Lampard just about. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Not as skilful or as good a passer as many as those no but he had different qualities. Gerrard > Lampard just about. 

That's why I think Gerrard is overrated

IMO he had a skillset that was very suited to the English game and yet got the world class "would walk in to barca team" tag

Him vs Lampard vs Scholes I'd go Scholes Lampard Gerrard personally but think the other 2 would have been more suited to play anywhere in Europe, they had more rounded games 

• Like 1

If anything this thread is showing that Gerrard is underrated, easily one of the best midfielders to have played in the premier league and better than most of the alternatives being suggested on this page as good as they also were/are. If anyone is overrated I'd say it's Scholes, he was always an excellent player but ever since Xavi said he was his favorite player or whatever around the time that Spain and Barcelona's style of footall was en vogue, people went overboard with praise for him. If I was told I could sign either Scholes or Gerrard as a teenager and they'd spend their whole career at Villa me would choose Gerrard every time, although wouldn't mind either of course.

10 minutes ago, useless said:

If anything this thread is showing that Gerrard is underrated, easily one of the best midfielders to have played in the premier league and better than most of the alternatives being suggested on this page as good as they also were/are. If anyone is overrated I'd say it's Scholes, he was always an excellent player but ever since Xavi said he was his favorite player or whatever around the time that Spain and Barcelona's style of footall was en vogue, people went overboard with praise for him. If I was told I could sign either Scholes or Gerrard as a teenager and they'd spend their whole career at Villa me would choose Gerrard every time, although wouldn't mind either of course.

Scholes was a Rolls Royce midfielder. His passing was unreal. Gerrard was the embodiment of the English game at the time. Runs a lot, good engine, 100 mph, pops up and scores goals. On the international stage he was absolutely shown up along with Lampard.

Â