The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

4 hours ago, choffer said:

IMG_4292.JPG

This isn’t actually true is it? I mean other than the part about Tim Martin being an arsehole which is true.

I think they furloughed staff and told people that if they wanted to work in a supermarket etc. then they’d be able to go back to their Wetherspoons job once pubs reopen.

As I say I’ve got no time for the bloke but the spreading of lies as facts in a big red box is one of the more annoying aspects of social media.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I think they furloughed staff and told people that if they wanted to work in a supermarket etc. then they’d be able to go back to their Wetherspoons job once pubs reopen

To start with he said he wasn't going to pay them any wages beyond 23 March (lockdown day). The gov't furlough thing kicked in sometime in April. There was a huge uproar and he then caved in, if I remember right. Bloke's a twunt, as you say.

• Like 1

This is why it’s a good thing that I don’t do bandwagons ... I can drink cheap beer in Wetherspoons on 4th July and not one **** will be given .

For the record I just watched his video from the 24th March and he doesn’t say anything about sacking staff or refusing to pay them , it was quite a reassuring message all things considered .... unless I’m missing a previous video where he ears a baby or something ?

• Like 2

Just now, chrisp65 said:

For those needlessly worried about social distancing, you can actually re create ‘Spoons in your own house by simply coating every surface with marmalade.

You can also put a few sachets of mustard in your pocket then collect your knife and fork from the neighbours shed.

Maybe nail an old bike to the wall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Brumerican said:

You can also put a few sachets of mustard in your pocket then collect your knife and fork from the neighbours shed.

Maybe nail an old bike to the wall.

And text the missus to bring another can and a round of toast to table 1.

See how that one pans out.

• Like 1

Just now, chrisp65 said:

And text the missus to bring another can and a round of toast to table 1.

See how that one pans out.

As long as you have a table tennis bat with your table number on you'll be sweet.

Try and look depressed whilst reading the Racing Post.

• Like 1

Just now, Brumerican said:

As long as you have a table tennis bat with your table number on you'll be sweet.

Try and look depressed whilst reading the Racing Post.

Stand outside at 7:58am and rattle the door handle when you see the staff moving around indoors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

This is why it’s a good thing that I don’t do bandwagons ... I can drink cheap beer in Wetherspoons on 4th July and not one **** will be given .

For the record I just watched his video from the 24th March and he doesn’t say anything about sacking staff or refusing to pay them , it was quite a reassuring message all things considered .... unless I’m missing a previous video where he ears a baby or something ?

Yeah from my memory he released a video which then got put on loads of websites with misleading headlines about every Wetherspoons employee being sacked etc. In reality as you say it was a video attempting to reassure people at a time when pubs income would reduce to next to nothing.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Stand outside at 7:58am and rattle the door handle when you see the staff moving around indoors.

Yup because they definitely forgot why they came into work for.

Also , when your fajitas come out served on the back of Groot's taint remember to play it cool like that's how plates are supposed to look,.

• Like 1

Fascinating watching the regulars in 'spoons. I used to go to the local one by me on a Sunday morning for a full English and a few coffees before the supermarket opened at 9:30am.

Always two regulars that sat in the same area as me. One had necked 5 pints by the time I left about 10am. The other was a chap, turned up smartly dressed, with a Sunday paper (Observer or Sunday Times). He'd go to the bar and come back with a pint of lager and a large red wine. At 9am. 

Could spend all day watching people in there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Fascinating watching the regulars in 'spoons. I used to go to the local one by me on a Sunday morning for a full English and a few coffees before the supermarket opened at 9:30am.

Always two regulars that sat in the same area as me. One had necked 5 pints by the time I left about 10am. The other was a chap, turned up smartly dressed, with a Sunday paper (Observer or Sunday Times). He'd go to the bar and come back with a pint of lager and a large red wine. At 9am. 

Could spend all day watching people in there. 

There was one en route to the old office and there would be a crowd gathering from 20 minutes before the 8:00am opening.

I always wondered what they all had in their carrier bags?

went to a spoons in Brixton before a gig back in March , it was rammed with people , I reckon I had more teeth than the rest of them combined 

strange places but i do like the idea of ordering off an app and not getting annoyed when some rocket polisher pushes in at the bar 

13 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

He wrote them a letter didn’t he?  IIRC that’s what kicked off the uproar.

13 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

went to a spoons in Brixton before a gig back in March , it was rammed with people , I reckon I had more teeth than the rest of them combined 

strange places but i do like the idea of ordering off an app and not getting annoyed when some rocket polisher pushes in at the bar 

Should have gone to the Goose, slightly more teeth. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Should have gone to the Goose, slightly more teeth. 

I think we went there as well  , also went to some pop up craft bar down the side way and a few other pubs :)

Â