The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Come on Dem, London have the best public transport system in the UK by a million miles. Yes its annoying when the tube line shuts down or there are delays but these things happen everywhere. If my train line is shut down for whatever reason (trespassers, overhead damage to the electric lines, broken down train, etc) I have to either get a taxi home (£25) or wait my turn to get a bus... quite often not getting on the first one or two due to them being rammed and then potentially taking 90 mins to get home after that. 

The tube is a wonderful system and i'm always in awe of it when I'm in the big smoke. 

I’m not disputing it’s not better than other places in the uk, but just because the others are not good it doesn’t mean it’s good.

its terribly unreliable, small congested Andy the amount of tubes that get cancelled it’s ridiculous.

with the problems you highlight it sounds like it’s the lack of services you have where you are. London’s a huge city that’s why we have more services. Smaller towns won’t have as big tube links. In comparisons to the German and Austrian ones I think they are a lot better. This subject is all opinions. I don’t think it’s great to be honest for it’s unreliability factor and the sheer experience. Also tfl platform workers are rude as feck

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I’m not disputing it’s not better than other places in the uk, but just because the others are not good it doesn’t mean it’s good.

its terribly unreliable, small congested Andy the amount of tubes that get cancelled it’s ridiculous.

with the problems you highlight it sounds like it’s the lack of services you have where you are. London’s a huge city that’s why we have more services. Smaller towns won’t have as big tube links. In comparisons to the German and Austrian ones I think they are a lot better. This subject is all opinions. I don’t think it’s great to be honest for it’s unreliability factor and the sheer experience. Also tfl platform workers are rude as feck

I live in a suburb of Birmingham mate, not a small town :)  That is the reality of public transport in the second city, a place with a population of over 1m people. 

The tube may not be perfect for you but it would be amazing for everyone else outside of London. You've probably just become accustomed to it

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Xela said:

The tube may not be perfect for you but it would be amazing for everyone else outside of London. You've probably just become accustomed to it

Probably right there. But i bet if you lived in london and was accustomed to it like i am you would share that same opinion!

Its built up years of frustration from a poor service. Also trying to get a refund from TFL is like getting blood out of a stone

The problem you've got is the hyperbole. TfL isn't perfect, sure. There may be the odd better system out there. It may have been better at some point in the past, sure. Make someone user the same service day in and day out for years and they're going to be inconvenienced out frustrated by it sometimes.

But you said it's shit, which is just clearly false when by any measure it's clearly the best in Britain and among the best in the world. It isn't perfect, but surely the only fair thing to judge it by is public transport elsewhere, and it's a very small number of places that have anything as good.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

The problem you've got is the hyperbole. TfL isn't perfect, sure. There may be the odd better system out there. It may have been better at some point in the past, sure. Make someone user the same service day in and day out for years and they're going to be inconvenienced out frustrated by it sometimes.

But you said it's shit, which is just clearly false when by any make it's clearly the best in Britain and among the best in the world. It isn't perfect, bit surely the only fair thing to judge it by is public transport elsewhere, and it's a very small number of places that have anything as good.

It's also interesting that Dem rated Paris as shit, it's pretty much on a par with London, of the places I've visited, I rate it second to London

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

But you said it's shit, which is just clearly false when by any measure it's clearly the best in Britain and among the best in the world. It isn't perfect, but surely the only fair thing to judge it by is public transport elsewhere, and it's a very small number of places that have anything as good.

I think its shit for the reasons highlighted. I been using it many many years not just day trips or breaks to london. 

Ive seen hows its got worse and worse over the years. If fares got up you woukd think the service would improve  but it isnt its getting worse. Thats why its shit in my opinion.

Its not clearly false its a matter of opinion if you think the service is shit or not.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

It's also interesting that Dem rated Paris as shit, it's pretty much on a par with London, of the places I've visited, I rate it second to London

I dont live in paris so i dont know how it works daily.  But went twice and the trains were suspended and absolutely filthy both times. 

I can only base my experince on two visits. Only people that use it day in and day out van day for sure how good or shit the service.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I dont live in paris so i dont know how it works daily.  But went twice and the trains were suspended and absolutely filthy both times. 

I can only base my experince on two visits. Only people that use it day in and day out van day for sure how good or shit the service.

It's no different to London in that respect. My daughter lived there :mrgreen:

Apparently have to have lived in London to have a valid opinion, so as someone who lived there for three years, I can safely say that it was excellent and I miss it. 

It was by no means perfect but what service is? Yes, there’s overcrowding; my journey to work was uncomfortable and sometimes a bit of a lottery but I’d always get there. Yes, trains would be cancelled but the frequency of this happening is being greatly exaggerated. There’s probably stats for it somewhere but I’d be surprised if it was as high as 1%.

To call it ‘shit’ is, as pointed out, hyperbole. It’s an opinion but it’s not really a valid one as it’s demonstrably untrue. Now I live elsewhere (with really shit public transport) I appreciate even more how brilliant it was. I miss not ever having to give much thought to how I was going to get anywhere. Just hop on the tube - sorted. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Paris underground is pretty grim (though I haven’t been for a few years). The tickets are cheap and not enforced so in winter the homeless live in some of the carriages. It’s not unusual to find human waste and the smell can be pretty horrible. 

I went to Paris with the wife about 15 years ago and found everywhere incredibly intimidating. The underground, the streets, the markets, everywhere.

We only went for the weekend and didn’t fly home until about 8 on the evening but we went to the airport and spent most of the last day there.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

I went to Paris with the wife about 15 years ago and found everywhere incredibly intimidating. The underground, the streets, the markets, everywhere.

We only went for the weekend and didn’t fly home until about 8 on the evening but we went to the airport and spent most of the last day there.

I went 12 years ago for my birthday with the ex and it was amazing. Helped by the fact it was about 35 degrees every day we were there over a long weekend. Absolutely loved it. Walked miles and miles, saw all the sights we could fi tin, used the underground and everything was perfect. Funny how you can have different experiences in the same place isn't it? 

What did you find intimidating? 

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sounds like you had Paris syndrome

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I went 12 years ago for my birthday with the ex and it was amazing. Helped by the fact it was about 35 degrees every day we were there over a long weekend. Absolutely loved it. Walked miles and miles, saw all the sights we could fi tin, used the underground and everything was perfect. Funny how you can have different experiences in the same place isn't it? 

What did you find intimidating? 

The trains were great and very impressive in terms of pricing and frequency.

There seemed to be an awful lot of large gangs in most places. On the entrances and exits to the underground. On the streets too and around the tourist sites. I was on edge a lot of the time concerned about being pick pocketed or mugged.

It was actually about 18/19 years ago so maybe being about 19 myself might mean I was a bit of a wuss.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

One of the greatest cities on earth. Seriously, I'd love to live ther.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah me and the missus have said we’ll never go back, the locals were arseholes and it just didn’t feel comfortable anywhere we went. Which is a shame as it’s a beautiful city.

And the subway was great, just like London ;)

• Like 2

Â