Wasting money during the pestilence

mottaloo

I've bought a lot of shit.

Last month I bought a new bed and a new mattress. Plus a massive hollywood mirror for the missus. Surprising how much a **** mirror costs!

This month I've spent more money on a pair of trainers than I feel comfortable with :D 

Plus a load of video games.

Definitely the silver lining to this lockdown. Not going out, driving to work, buying coffee, eating out etc. Makes you realise how much you spend on shite in a normal month

13 minutes ago, choffer said:

I'm a mug.

4501165_R_SET.jpg

My kids love these. Love playing with bubbles. 

In all seriousness, I'm saving loads of money not buying shit. The only thing I've bought is football manager 2020. This lockdown has been good financially.

• Haha 1

We were due to fly out to Japan for our 3-week long, once in a lifetime holiday last month.  We were fortunate enough to have played "wait and see" and have only the flights booked by Xmas and nothing else, and then getting onto BA before they started stonewalling people on getting their refunds, so we haven't lost anything (which makes us more fortunate then some of other friends in a similar predicament) but the sheer come-down of having something you've spent the last 4 years working towards, scrimping and saving for ripped away combined with a surplus of cash on-hand has made for some very indulgent, highly unnecessary buying habits which I really need to get my ass out of before this all returns to normal.

I bought a hammer drill last week, for example.  A fecking hammer drill.  A decent one, too.  My house is a bloody prefab, I'm fairly certain a sharpened pencil would do for most DIY jobs I'll ever need to do here.  But no, 5 minutes browsing tradesman's (insert Kenneth Williams here) forums and I've convinced myself that only The Mole from Thunderbirds can deal with my drywall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Got a 4 year old to look after so he now has the away and 3rd kit to go with the home he had for his birthday last October.  I do not see this as wasting money more doing the right thing.

The thing I have been wasting money on is Hot Wheels I pretend its for the boy but I am addicted!  I am even at the stage of importing stuff from America.

HELP ME!

• 4 weeks later...

Splashed out on a Rego IO amp. Been wanting to upgrade for a while and had my eye on a Rega Brio but they are a bit expensive at £599. But they've just launched a smaller amp at £379 and I've got to say it sounds fantastic for that sort of price.

But yeah, I didn't really need it...

Edited by Lichfield Dean

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for inspiration on how to burn incredible amounts of money in one go? A lover of comics and movies? If your answers are yes and YES to those questions, look no further!

DSC09187-scaled.jpg

DSC09198-scaled.jpg

A 1/6 scale custom limited run totally not the Batmobile from Batman v Superman!

Now you can own an extremely large extremely exclusive extremely expensive scale version of the car that appears in 1 scene of an at best lacklustre movie.

Yours for only $1,500.

Doesn't include Batman figure.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2020 at 16:05, GarethRDR said:

I bought a hammer drill last week, for example.  A fecking hammer drill.  A decent one, too.  My house is a bloody prefab, I'm fairly certain a sharpened pencil would do for most DIY jobs I'll ever need to do here.  But no, 5 minutes browsing tradesman's (insert Kenneth Williams here) forums and I've convinced myself that only The Mole from Thunderbirds can deal with my drywall.

Sorry for the delay:

images (3).jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Looking for inspiration on how to burn incredible amounts of money in one go? A lover of comics and movies? If your answers are yes and YES to those questions, look no further!

DSC09187-scaled.jpg

DSC09198-scaled.jpg

A 1/6 scale custom limited run totally not the Batmobile from Batman v Superman!

Now you can own an extremely large extremely exclusive extremely expensive scale version of the car that appears in 1 scene of an at best lacklustre movie.

Yours for only $1,500.

Doesn't include Batman figure.

Jeebus.

One of my best childhood toys was this Batmobile that was a normal sports car you could put a Bruce Wayne figure in, but you could pull a latch at the back and it would do this spring-loaded transformation into an approximation of the Batmobile (side panels flipped out to reveal plastic missile launchers, that kind of thing) but cool part was the Bruce Wayne figure would be pulled instantly into the rear housing of the car hidden from sight, and a cockpit would appear in it's place that you could put a Batman figure in so it looked like an instant change over.  Oh, I've not thought about that thing for years, I'll try and find some pics online...

Apparently it was the Batman Returns Kenner "Bruce Wayne Custom Coupe":

Kenner Batman Returns Bruce Wayne Custom Coupe Vehicle 1991 ...Kenner Batman Returns Movie Bruce Wayne Custom Coupe Batmobile ...

Batman Returns Batmobile Bruce Wayne Custom Coupe Dc Comics 1992 ...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Jeebus.

One of my best childhood toys was this Batmobile that was a normal sports car you could put a Bruce Wayne figure in, but you could pull a latch at the back and it would do this spring-loaded transformation into an approximation of the Batmobile (side panels flipped out to reveal plastic missile launchers, that kind of thing) but cool part was the Bruce Wayne figure would be pulled instantly into the rear housing of the car hidden from sight, and a cockpit would appear in it's place that you could put a Batman figure in so it looked like an instant change over.  Oh, I've not thought about that thing for years, I'll try and find some pics online...

Apparently it was the Batman Returns Kenner "Bruce Wayne Custom Coupe":

Kenner Batman Returns Bruce Wayne Custom Coupe Vehicle 1991 ...Kenner Batman Returns Movie Bruce Wayne Custom Coupe Batmobile ...

Batman Returns Batmobile Bruce Wayne Custom Coupe Dc Comics 1992 ...

Nice... One of my favourite toys as a kid was a Batman figure with a cloth cape and I always wanted a Batmobile to go with it.

I do now own the Batman figure in the BvS Batmobile but er yeah... I don't think he needs the car...

New patio - I did all the labour myself, still cost a grand for slabs (21m^2) and that's with a cheeky NHS discount :lol:  

Rattan for patio - hmmm, why is patio furniture so expensive? 

cover for the rattan

Heater for patio

cover for the heater

drive extension

no cover for the drive extension

about to go down the new bathroom/bog fitted in under stairs cupboard route too. 

**** corona.. 

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

New patio - I did all the labour myself, still cost a grand for slabs (21m^2) and that's with a cheeky NHS discount :lol:  

Hol' up.  We're about to do our patio (well, I say "we", as with all major DIY projects I will be paying proper adults to do it for me), what shop's doing an NHS discount?  It would be nice to use mine on something more substantial than £4 off at Nando's for a change.

Just now, GarethRDR said:

Hol' up.  We're about to do our patio (well, I say "we", as with all major DIY projects I will be paying proper adults to do it for me), what shop's doing an NHS discount?  It would be nice to use mine on something more substantial than £4 off at Nando's for a change.

:lol:  

I was on the phone to Paving Direct because they could get the delivery to us fairly quickly when no one else could.

So we bought 21m^2 of real stone slabs, the patio sealant, the pointfix tubs (stuff between the slabs) plus delivery for £800 (i thought it was more!), but I said as we went through the price "so do I get good guy or NHS discount?" and she asked me what I did.  I told her, I laid it on VERY thick and she gave me over a £100 off.  

So yea, Paving Direct.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â