The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

17 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

If I could just change the topic to a related issue that I'm having trouble with for a minute......

Kitchen roll or napkins, I'm a kitchen roll guy and its bloody expensive I can tell ya, I'm a messy S.O.B when cookin and when it's something that's a messy eat I'm really struggling what experience advice do the gang have?

Kitchen roll so you can throw it away after. Napkins have to be washed and it’s really not worth it just for the sake of wiping a bit of sauce off your chops. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

This deconstructing chocolate/biscuit bars - just, no. Every bite has to contain some of each element, or what's the point? And before someone invokes 'worst first, best last', it doesn't apply here. All parts are good, and the bar is built that way for a reason. 

I deconstruct parts of it.  So I have some bites of each individual element and some bites of everything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Kitchen roll so you can throw it away after. Napkins have to be washed and it’s really not worth it just for the sake of wiping a bit of sauce off your chops. 

Kitchen roll for me but I do have a packet of paper napkins in reserve

In an emergency I'll just use a tea towel to wipe the curry sauce off my mush. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Kitchen roll for me but I do have a packet of paper napkins in reserve

In an emergency I'll just use a tea towel to wipe the curry sauce off my mush. 

This is something I'm having trouble with,ruining tea towels, some stains just won't t budge....

... oh crap, here we go

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Mars Bar or Twix - have to eat around the edges first, followed by chomping on the bottom bit (insert kenneth gif) and then finally eat the best bit at the top. Lovely.

Batternberg cake - have to eat the marzipan first, then separate the squares into their colours of yellow and pink. Yellow to be eaten first and then pink last. Couldn't eat it any other way!

Totally normal right?

I've done a lot if experimentation with the good old twix....

Maddest ever was to eat bottom ends and sides then lay the toffee choc bit length ways on top of a twirl, I liked it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Polish > British > German sausages. Come at me.

Another with no real knowledge of Polish sausages beyond a kielbasa (which is nothing special) but plenty of experience on the other 2

Traditional I disagree, Germany is the land of the sausage, there are so many varieties of sausage here it's mental, pretty much every region has their own with its own cooking style, the varience in type of sausage is much greater here but the majority of them don't make it to aldi / lidl, if you're comparing your Cumberland and Lincolnshires to German sausages then ze germans are winning

Modern then I do agree, like the rest of English cuisine we have the willingness to steal, experiment and innovate, what's the flavour of the month? Bbq pulled pork? Well here's your bbq pulled pork sausage then, the variance in flavour is much greater in the UK 

The weird thing with German sausage is just how stuck in tradition they are, I can picture my wife's face when I put sausages in the oven... We do more with them, involve them in more recipes and do them different ways, they are more stiff with theirs, Munich white sausage is eaten a certain way, nuremberger is used for this, bratwurst for this etc If you want a sausage sandwich then you are almost certainly getting a fried pork frankische bratwurst in a small crusty roll, don't think I've ever seen a sausage served in bread here (sliced white isn't really a thing - they call it toast bread and don't make sandwiches with it they just toast it) 

that all said I think slightly and only slightly and probably biased cos I live here... Curry wurst mit pommes is better than bangers and mash... 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Another with no real knowledge of Polish sausages beyond a kielbasa (which is nothing special) but plenty of experience on the other 2

Traditional I disagree, Germany is the land of the sausage, there are so many varieties of sausage here it's mental, pretty much every region has their own with its own cooking style, the varience in type of sausage is much greater here but the majority of them don't make it to aldi / lidl, if you're comparing your Cumberland and Lincolnshires to German sausages then ze germans are winning

Modern then I do agree, like the rest of English cuisine we have the willingness to steal, experiment and innovate, what's the flavour of the month? Bbq pulled pork? Well here's your bbq pulled pork sausage then, the variance in flavour is much greater in the UK 

The weird thing with German sausage is just how stuck in tradition they are, I can picture my wife's face when I put sausages in the oven... We do more with them, involve them in more recipes and do them different ways, they are more stiff with theirs, Munich white sausage is eaten a certain way, nuremberger is used for this, bratwurst for this etc If you want a sausage sandwich then you are almost certainly getting a fried pork frankische bratwurst in a small crusty roll, don't think I've ever seen a sausage served in bread here (sliced white isn't really a thing - they call it toast bread and don't make sandwiches with it they just toast it) 

that all said I think slightly and only slightly and probably biased cos I live here... Curry wurst mit pommes is better than bangers and mash... 

Thanks, I was probably only just thinking of the frankfurter or whatever is usually considered to be a "typical" German sausage. Happy to be put in my place after making a terrible generalisation! Something similar could be said as for Polish sausages and Kielbasa. I love their white sausage for example, and they're pretty into blood sausage (black pudding!) too. And yes the best black pudding can be and is sometimes even better eaten cold, since it's already cooked, but I wouldn't want to do that with the crap that comes sliced in a packet from Tesco.

The hard Rock Cafe local burger in krakow was a black pudding burger and it was stunning, they seemed to get it, its not just about the spice blend that makes good BP so good (only one I've had that came close to being as good was the Munich one which was 3 sliders on pretzel bread which is a personal favourite of mine) 

German white sausage is the munich one, they boil it and then peel the casing off before eating, that's a shit one that I don't like 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

This deconstructing chocolate/biscuit bars - just, no. Every bite has to contain some of each element, or what's the point? And before someone invokes 'worst first, best last', it doesn't apply here. All parts are good, and the bar is built that way for a reason. 

There's certainly a case for this with some bars. But, consider the Toffee Crisp - the 'toffee' on top is bang average, but the 'crisp' on the bottom is delicious, and better on it's own.

Edited by hogso
All lucky 7's
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Cheesy Wotsits are great in a sandwich.

Love a crisp sandwich. 

All flavours work, but the pinnacle is ready salted on thick white, with proper butter. 

2nd place goes to Beef Monster Munch. 

• Like 2

On crisps, I like the Smiths ones with the salt sachet inside. 

I eat most of the crisps, then put all the salt on the last 5/6 in the bag. 

if I’m feeling really decadent, I eat 2 packs with no salt, then put all 3 sachets in the 3rd bag. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bickster said:

And here we go full circle, it's back to gravy vs curry

A bit of cheese on both never hurt a real human either. Only someone from Musk's planet would disagree. 

5 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

This is something I'm having trouble with,ruining tea towels, some stains just won't t budge....

... oh crap, here we go

Black tea towels FTW

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

if I’m feeling really decadent, I eat 2 packs with no salt, then put all 3 sachets in the 3rd bag. 

200.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

On crisps, I like the Smiths ones with the salt sachet inside. 

I eat most of the crisps, then put all the salt on the last 5/6 in the bag. 

If you were a kid you would be put into care. 

• Haha 4

Â