The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Bacon (and by that I mean the fat) should be crispy and cooked properly, but not burnt. Something along the lines of this:

spacer.png

Hide contents

Preferably served without the world's smallest side salad but each to their own. 

Gooey fat on bacon just doesn't taste right. 

Streaky bacon should never be eaten, it's an insult to bacon, but if it is as you say cook it to death. 

A marmalade mixed with Mustard relish is delightful on smoked crispy bacon 

Most of this modern bacon is crap. Thick cut and with the rind still on is where its at. There's a farm just outside our village that sells it, made from their own pigs (plus sausages and all the other cuts). It's the second closest place to buy breakfast ingredients to our house (and the local shop sells shite)

There's something reasuring in driving past the pigs in the field every day and then being a part of their final destination

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Apparently my view on bacon is wrong according to family and friends. Take the bacon, show it a flame that is a hundred yards away and then consider it done. 

I have the same problem. Even if I TRY to severely undercook it I'm told its too overdone. It just physically revolts me to cook rubbery half raw bacon. What's wrong with them? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Bacon (and by that I mean the fat) should be crispy and cooked properly, but not burnt. Something along the lines of this:

spacer.png

Reveal hidden contents

Preferably served without the world's smallest side salad but each to their own. 

Gooey fat on bacon just doesn't taste right. 

Streaky bacon should never be eaten, it's an insult to bacon, but if it is as you say cook it to death. 

Those look about perfect, maybe a tinsy bit more even. 

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

Most of this modern bacon is crap. Thick cut and with the rind still on is where its at. There's a farm just outside our village that sells it, made from their own pigs (plus sausages and all the other cuts). It's the second closest place to buy breakfast ingredients to our house (and the local shop sells shite)

There's something reasuring in driving past the pigs in the field every day and then being a part of their final destination

There's a farm shop about a half mile from our new house. Having popped in yesterday they've got loads of varieties of sausages, bacon and fresh meat. Looks fantastic and will be cooking some off this weekend to try it. Not cheap mind but hopefully worth it. 

• Like 1

Hate thick cut bacon, might as well jump in a Delorean and go back to 1970 and eat a chunk of gammon. 

Sainsburys own smoked bacon is the best, got to sift through though to find one that’s been cut properly with the right proportion (and shape) of rind.

Bacon must always be cooked thoroughly, just on the verge of being burnt, anything less than this is sacrilege.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Salty chewy meat that should have been left in the 70’s along with flares and brown/yellow curtains.

Food is meant to be chewed and its only the shit stuff that is too salty. A nice gammon steak, egg and chips, lovely (none of that pineapple bollocks though)

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Food is meant to be chewed and its only the shit stuff that is too salty. A nice gammon steak, egg and chips, lovely (none of that pineapple bollocks though)

Sweetness of the pineapple complements the saltiness of the gammon quite nicely, I do agree that you should not have that on the same plate with eggs or vice versa

There is only one thing worse than a rubbery string of uncrisped bacon fat in a sandwich, and that is a string of untrimmed bacon rind. Ugh. 

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Sweetness of the pineapple complements the saltiness of the gammon quite nicely, I do agree that you should not have that on the same plate with eggs or vice versa

"do you want eggs or pineapple?" 

"both" 

Judgemental of anyone who says otherwise, side of bbq sauce too, its an exotic dish gammon and chips 

3 hours ago, bickster said:

What the actual F is it with frickin pineapple on Gammon? One of the most mental things ever. 

Â