The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

This Local Fish & Chip Shop Have Started Selling Deep Fried BATTERED Chip Buttys - YouTube

id be all over that to be honest

also seeing as chip bap with gravy is my weapon of choice the splash of mint sauce could be a revelation 

Reminds me of a night I spent on tour in Sunderland in the 80s. I had a mate from school who lived there so arranged to meet him after we'd finished the Sound Check for a catch up and tea. We went to a chippy.

A bloke in the queue ordered a "Pizza Supper Special." I asked my mate what it was and he told me most definitely not to order it then told me what it was.

A 12" cheese and tomato pizza, with a portion of chips dumped on half of it, then the pizza was folded over and the chips squashed so its now Calzone style. Then it was deep fried in batter

That is one revolting carb attack

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Reminds me of a night I spent on tour in Sunderland in the 80s. I had a mate from school who lived there so arranged to meet him after we'd finished the Sound Check for a catch up and tea. We went to a chippy.

A bloke in the queue ordered a "Pizza Supper Special." I asked my mate what it was and he told me most definitely not to order it then told me what it was.

A 12" cheese and tomato pizza, with a portion of chips dumped on half of it, then the pizza was folded over and the chips squashed so its now Calzone style. Then it was deep fried in batter

That is one revolting carb attack

Disgusting indeed. They should've done it with a kebab meat pizza.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 28/04/2021 at 15:31, Wainy316 said:

Curry sauce for chips and lashings of chilli for kebab meat.

I've never understood smothering the beautiful taste of Kebab meat (chicken or lamb) in chilli sauce.  It's great on its own. 

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've never understood smothering the beautiful taste of Kebab meat (chicken or lamb) in salad.  It's great on its own. 

FTFY

Double Donner, no salad, extra chilli

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

I've never understood smothering the beautiful taste of Kebab meat (chicken or lamb) in chilli sauce.  It's great on its own. 

Because it improves it in my view.  I certainly hope you’re not saying that and then you go and smother it in Mayo 😊

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Because it improves it in my view.  I certainly hope you’re not saying that and then you go and smother it in Mayo 😊

No, a bit of curry sauce to complement it, not drown it out.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yep, mixed doner, zero salad, hot chilli and ketchup, bosh.

My go to kebab vendor also sells deep fried hash browns, which I cannot resist ordering.

Ketchup ???

Last Friday there was a massive queue at m’favoured chippy. So I went to a different one. The gravy was thin, the fish not quite cooked right and it cost more - indeed the photo I took would have been too much to post without a spoiler

Spoiler

C0F7DBA9-31D3-456E-8EDE-FD2C0C1DFC0E.jpeg

The whole experience would have justified all the wierdos comments about gravy with fish and chips. Lesson learnt. But on the plus side….

I enjoyed today’s return to Whelan’s fine food all the more.

55AA345E-51B7-4908-8FC1-D1A652A88FB6.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm staggered at both, but that first one - what sort of creature's battered claw is that and why is it served in a shoe box?

The second one looks cold, but on a positive, I notice you seem to have gone without the onion this week. I like to think of that as progress.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

Last Friday there was a massive queue at m’favoured chippy. So I went to a different one. The gravy was thin, the fish not quite cooked right and it cost more - indeed the photo I took would have been too much to post without a spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

The whole experience would have justified all the wierdos comments about gravy with fish and chips. Lesson learnt. But on the plus side….

There used to be a fantastic country music venue near that chippy, at least once a month I would be there and once or twice I used Whelans.

That hidden picture is the least appetising plate of food I have ever seen. 

44 minutes ago, blandy said:

Hide contents

I prefer the look of the gravy in the first one.

47 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm staggered at both, but that first one - what sort of creature's battered claw is that and why is it served in a shoe box?

I think it looks like more like type of “rabbit”. 

• Haha 3

Â